R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A possibly stupid question (hope not !!) knowledgable people please  (Read 2165 times)

sezwho

this is a basic question i haven't been able to answer myself through web searching.

are there an small diaphragm figure 8 mics ?

I have recently bought an akg c480b with both ck61 and ck62 caps and am looking to buy another.  I would also like to experiment using it in a m/s configuration as the center mic (on acoustic guitar mostly).  

If no small diaphragm mics have figure 8 pattern options would an akg c480b (with the ck61 cardiod capsule) sound good as the center mike in a m/s setup with say a rode k2 (or another large diaphragm condenser)

thx. hope this isn't too stupid a question !!

hargerst

Re: A possibly stupid question (hope not !!) knowledgable people please
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

It's not a stupid question at all.  The old Neumann KM86 was a small diaphragm condenser mic that had a figure 8 pattern available.  The CAD E200 is also a multi-pattern mic with two small diaphragms.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

thedoc

Doc

sezwho

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 04:09:12 PM »

thx. hargerst and the doc. i have spent more than a few hours on the net find that out.  

Great recommendations the nuemann and sennheiser mentioned both seem to be great mics.  If anybody knows of any other small diaphragm condensers that have a figure 8 pattern please leave details and recommendations.  

Barry Hufker

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 09:20:40 AM »

Schoeps of course!  (www.schoeps.de)

Barry

daQuad

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 02:48:30 PM »

Many 'figure 8" mics are really just hypercardoids, because they are end-fire, so their figure-of-8 pattern isn't uniform.

A good uniform 8-pattern is necessary for the SIDE mic, but the center could be many things, cardiod, hypercardoid, even omni, each yeilding a differing effect, make sure your center mic sounds great by itself, using the side mic and the M/S image should be optional.

Optimally mics with identical response should be used to get the mathematically correct stereo image, but in reality the mic-mixture combined with the room and performance is a flavor, if you like it - good!

BTW beyer MC130 has a VERY uniform 8-pattern, besides being a nice ribbon sound.
"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa

Gary Flanigan

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 05:59:06 PM »

The Neumann KM100 series has a figure 8.  I think it is the KM120.

Also both the Schoeps Collette series and the Sennheiser MKH series have figure 8 capsules.

sezwho

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 10:02:12 PM »

i just got a neumann km86i in as new condition off e-bay for $1200 is this a good deal.  Thx alot for your recommendations this mic is really great !!

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 07:32:33 AM »

You could also try synthesizing a figure-8 pattern from two cardioid mics - put them facing in opposite directions with the diaphragms aligned and as close as possible, then mix together with reversed polarity.  Not perfect, of course, but surprisingly effective and worth some experimentation.
http://www.scotthelmke.com/team-downbeat-1.jpg

DavidSpearritt

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 06:26:50 PM »

Both the Neumann KM120 and the Schoeps MK8 are small, single diaphram figure 8's with really outstanding sound quality. They both have tight fig'8 polar patterns almost completely independent of frequency, something unique to single diaphram designs. I use them both all the time in Blumlein and in MS to record classical chamber music and they are wonderful mics.

Vertigo

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »

Quote:

You could also try synthesizing a figure-8 pattern from two cardioid mics - put them facing in opposite directions with the diaphragms aligned and as close as possible, then mix together with reversed polarity. Not perfect, of course, but surprisingly effective and worth some experimentation.

WOW... What an interesting idea, I've got to try that!

-Lance
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 19 queries.