R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: article on David Torn in this month's TapeOp  (Read 8434 times)

dcollins

Re: article on David Torn in this month's TapeOp
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2005, 03:43:42 AM »

spltrcl wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 12:59

and the ME saying things like:
"what the hell did you to do these waveforms?!?! i've never seen anything like it", and
"something is just totally wrong, here!", and
"i just don't see how we can use this/these tracks".....

I love stuff like this.

OTGH, I could see how people might get that idea, what with gazing at waveforms on giant LCD monitors.

So, you won't tell us who it was?  We'll just keep here on the board.

DC

spltrcl

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2005, 10:48:20 AM »

dcollins wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 08:43

spltrcl wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 12:59

and the ME saying things like:
"what the hell did you to do these waveforms?!?! i've never seen anything like it", and

I love stuff like this.

OTGH, I could see how people might get that idea, what with gazing at waveforms on giant LCD monitors.

So, you won't tell us who it was?  We'll just keep here on the board.

DC

no, dave:
no can do:
having said as much as i've said,
it would be even *more* unseemly of me, and maybe even unfair:
maybe that guy was just *really* having a bad day/week/month/life/universe?
(i look forward to some other artist/producer/mixer whom i trust & respect telling me that he had a wonderful, creative experience w/the same dude --- everyone can *change*).
that said,
i wouldn't (of my own volition) go to him for mastering, myself, since there are certainly kinder & gentler folk around w/good ears, great skills, great "work ethics" & remarkable bodies-of-work.
ya know?

dt / spltrcl

TotalSonic

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2005, 01:49:12 PM »

spltrcl wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 20:59

thanks for the wilkommen, folks!

And an honor to have you hanging out here!

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 07:10

And on a technical level: essentially I've found that tracks that have already been peak limited in most cases don't hold up as well under any further processing - i.e. when you eq them it goes all grainy instead of responding the way desired.

a real question, not at all disingenuously posed:

do you mean that kind of generalised result occurs only for specifically all-digital mastering sessions, or are you including the possibilities for returning to analog, as well?

Probably 95% of the time the primary processing I use is in the analog realm - it's pretty rare for me to ever find a track which ends up sounding better only using digital processors.  While you might be able to "get away" with a little more in terms of successfully dealing with pre-limited tracks through an analog process chain over a purely digital one I still have found that in most cases the end result will sound a lot better if brickwall peak limiting is kept as the 2nd to final stage right before dithering down.  Most other ME's I know seem to think the exact same thing.

Quote:

otoh:
being rudely chastised by the ME via long-distance tel, with the A&R dude being exposed to my asswhuppin', and the ME saying things like:

well, ya know.....
so it goes, i guess.

There's a nice Yiddish word for a guy like that: a schmegeggy.

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 07:10

Anyway - congratulations on your award for the track in question - and I'm sorry you had to deal with an a-hole - and thanks for a lot of fantastic music of the past (dug out my copy of "Cloud About Mercury" and am listening to it now as I post this) and in the

thanks much, dude:
(plenty of stuff has occurred in the meanwhile, ya know!)
*-)
best,
dt / spltrcl

Somehow I knew you'd say that!  Artists always seem to love their new borns more than their grown up teenagers for some reason.  Hey - at least on a 1987 release I know there won't be any excessive peak limiting on it - Wink

To be honest - I really dug the "What Means Solid" album and the stuff you've done with folks like Mick Karn, David Sylvian and David Bowie - but guess I've been remiss in keeping up with your more recent solo work.  Any recommendations as to what your favorites out of your recent releases?

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.