R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: D.I.Y. Diffusers  (Read 71362 times)

Bill B

Re: D.I.Y. Diffusers
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 07:50:20 PM »

WOW! Sorry bout the file size- I grabbed the wrong one, damn!
BB

compasspnt

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 09:44:19 PM »

Hey Bill, it's so small I can "bear-ly" see it!

Seriously, is that blocks of compact foam, glued together?

Bill B

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 11:15:12 PM »

har har. I barely got it!
It's built from 1"x 1"x 3/4" blocks of cedar, which is light and easy to work with. I just set up the table saw and had a little cut fest. I thought foam would be too unstable, and probably have to be painted with a gloss to cut down on it's absorbency. The BBC notes suggested square pvc tubing, but I thought that was a little too reflective. In the pic the rough construction was sprayed with a textured paint, but I found that if you do a neat enough job, the plain cedar looks nice and fits just about any rooms' color scheme, being a natural looking element. The variations in the woods' color is nice, and you can use the rough sawn side if you want more texture and possibly 'micro diffusion'.
Total materials per 'unit' (unit=4 12"x 12" sections)is about $14.00. There is no scientific calculation to the unit size, I just figured it had to be at least that large to have a noticeable effect.
BB

Bill B

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 11:21:02 PM »

Bryson wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 05:21

More like the Romans were using them.

Here're some poly types that I made.

Do you also have the fabric on the walls and ceiling, or is that a good paint match?
BB

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2005, 12:33:39 AM »

I also find that covering the diffusor with a stainless steel mesh (such as they use over microphone capsules) helps the process.  Just make sure to ground the mesh, as if it's not grounded it will act like an antenna.

MW

lord

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2005, 10:03:15 AM »

Should I be grounding my mic stands too?

My god. What about the cymbals?

rdolmat

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 10:44:45 AM »

badbear wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 20:15

har har. I barely got it!
It's built from 1"x 1"x 3/4" blocks of cedar, which is light and easy to work with. I just set up the table saw and had a little cut fest. I thought foam would be too unstable, and probably have to be painted with a gloss to cut down on it's absorbency. The BBC notes suggested square pvc tubing, but I thought that was a little too reflective. In the pic the rough construction was sprayed with a textured paint, but I found that if you do a neat enough job, the plain cedar looks nice and fits just about any rooms' color scheme, being a natural looking element. The variations in the woods' color is nice, and you can use the rough sawn side if you want more texture and possibly 'micro diffusion'.
Total materials per 'unit' (unit=4 12"x 12" sections)is about $14.00. There is no scientific calculation to the unit size, I just figured it had to be at least that large to have a noticeable effect.

Hi Bill!

Those look great! I think I have to pull our my saw and a coffee!!
Cheers
rich

Tomas Danko

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2005, 12:07:07 PM »

Oh boy do I feel stupid now when I sit here and look at all them egg cartons I put on every wall as well as the ceiling and floor.

And I had been telling my friends I got the same acoustics here as they do at the Fraunhofer Institute.

This is even worse than the allergic reaction I developed towards yokes, having had eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner the last two months.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

compasspnt

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2005, 12:32:06 PM »

Pretty good "yoke," Tomas!

jimmyjazz

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 10:20:51 AM »

What does one of your 12" x 12" "units" weigh?  How did you hang them?

Bill B

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 05:43:48 PM »

Glues onto a backing 'plate' of 1/4" birch plywood, total weight might be a pound and a half. The plywood weighs about as much as all the cedar blocks. They're light enough to hang with adhesive, but I used stainless countersunk screws into drywall anchors. I used stainless because the tanins in cedar can corrode a zinc or steel screw over time.
I also sprayed the plain cedar diffusors with a satin laquer to make them easier to clean and give them a more finished look. Use Deft brand if you can find it, it has a nice, buttery, warm look to it. I think Lowe's carries it.
I'm going to try some colored water-based stains on my next ones.
BB

Bill B

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 05:47:56 PM »

Another note: Once you see the graph for the layout, you can build faster using different sized blocks. The ones in the picture were made from all 1" blocks, which isn't necessary if you plan ahead.
You could also use the wood diffuser for a reverse mold and cast a   fiberglass 'master' for making more 'glass units.
BB

jimmyjazz

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 10:24:05 AM »

Great info.  Thanks.

I'd bet the effort of creating fiberglass versions using the wood as a master would be more trouble than it would be worth.  Just make more wood copies.  I agree that cutting the individual blocks to length as opposed to stacking 1" blocks makes tons of sense.  You just need the recipe ahead of time.

What's the frequency range of your diffusors?  How deep into the bass region do they extend?

I had been toying with a very similar construction approach, but planned on using machine screws into stainless inserts (keenserts, etc.) sunk into balsa wood.  I hadn't even considered cedar.  A natural finish on cedar would add a nice "studio" touch . . . you know, all studios have to be chock full of wood, right?

zetterstroem

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 12:31:55 PM »

badbear wrote on Sat, 01 October 2005 01:48

rdolmat wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 11:59

Hi all!

Anyone have good tips or suggestions on DIY diffusers?

I built some 'skyline' diffusors using the prime number theory posted on the BBC website. As you build more of these they fit togother to create a bigger diffuser, kind of a fractal thing. Here's a pic: (I hope)

do you have a link??
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Bill B

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 01:14:16 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Tue, 04 October 2005 12:31

do you have a link??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1995-01.pdf

BB

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 16 queries.