R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A good tom mic?  (Read 2293 times)

trebor_zaid

A good tom mic?
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:08:46 PM »

Yes, yet another freaky email question from me. I have a Ludwig Rocker 2 set that I adore. It's been with me since I was a teen, almost 20 yrs now.

The big toms are easily mic'd with D112's (15" and 18" floor). They sound huge with those mics. I am looking for a good mic for the 8", 10" and 13" toms. I can't seem to get a great sound. I have tried SM57's and 58's and Audix D2's, and they sound good or ok, but I think there is something out there that might sound better. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help

Feet kick ass!!!!!!

josh

Re: A good tom mic?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 08:28:46 PM »

Of course, KEL HM-1

for boring, MD-421

bigbone

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:49:02 PM »

sennheiser 604    great on 10-12 '' rack toms......

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 01:21:10 AM »

We use mainly the 504/604 on the high toms, but sometimes I'll switch over to the Shure SM57's for the high toms.  I like that sound at times.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

James Duncan

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 01:56:03 PM »

I'm a fan of the D2's, what was it that you didn't like about them? They really seem to be my go-to high tom mic nowadays.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

trebor_zaid

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 02:59:48 PM »

I got wonderful response with the 8" and 10" on the D2. But then lost lows when I put it on my 13". So maybe use a D2 on the 8 and 10, and a different mic on the 13, then D112's on the 15 and 18?

But what on the 13"? An MD421 (yikes, pricey, although I have hear you should at least one in your mic arsenal), a Audix D4, a Shure Beta 98?

What about Shure Beta 98's, anyone ever used them and got good results?

James Duncan

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 03:15:10 PM »

trebor_zaid wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 13:59

But what on the 13"? An MD421 (yikes, pricey, although I have hear you should at least one in your mic arsenal), a Audix D4, a Shure Beta 98?

I normally use an MD421, although I just picked up a D4, and used it for the first time on a floor tom with excellent results. One tune had a pretty significant low-tom part played throughout the verse, and it really rocked with the D4.

This was my only session with it so far, and it was only a 4-song demo, so I have limited data so far, but I expect that I will be using it again based on my initital results.

I have however used the D2 successfully on toms up to 14"...I prefer the MD421 when things start getting up that big, but the D2 has worked there, and done a fine job.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

theo mack

Re: A good tom mic? try a D4 for a test drive
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 04:17:46 AM »

another vote for the audix D4.
This is a great tom mic.
A/B one with a 421 set to M on a tom. a lot of similar qualities between those two, but the D4 is way easier to place.
I am not a huge fan of the other D series mics on toms.  With the exception of the D4. The D6 is a super kick mic btw.  I mixed the finn bros for a tour and we used a lot of audix mics, (thanks cliff). I think audix has a lot of real winners that are sleepers in the studio world.

Live, the shure b98 d/s micro clamp on condencer, is a standard. It can sound good in the studio too, but it's not what I want to hear.
IMHO, in the studio the 98 is a little noisy and a bit funky in the mids. like a bit of a scoop.
I did read a bob clearmountan (sp)? article a while back where he was tracking with original drum mount sm98 mics with the little pattern adjuster on.  (Yes he does tracking too!)

The D4 in a U suspension clip is really rocking on toms.
If you buy a few mic-ez clips and U suspension clip,s you can clip on to toms with no mechanical coupling. beefy big toms with real solid and eq friendly mids.
theo mack
Freelance Audio Guy

Las Vegas, NV.

trebor_zaid

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 02:22:58 PM »

Will do. Have you heard anything about the CAD TSM411? I couple of replies put this little mic close to the sound quality of a AKG D19? I have a D2 already. What I might do is pick up 2 D4's put them on my 10" and 13" and use the D2 I have, on my 8" tom. Thanks so much for all the great advice.

bigbone

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 03:21:09 PM »

trebor_zaid wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 19:22

Will do. Have you heard anything about the CAD TSM411? I couple of replies put this little mic close to the sound quality of a AKG D19? I have a D2 already. What I might do is pick up 2 D4's put them on my 10" and 13" and use the D2 I have, on my 8" tom. Thanks so much for all the great advice.

I did try the CAD TSM411 on my floor toms, and it sound pretty good......but the
tone is more like a audio-technica ATM 25.....but i was surprise
with the CAD ................love it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 17 queries.