R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: U47: True To Life Or An Instrument Of Distortion?  (Read 20325 times)

Schallfeldnebel

Re: U47: True To Life Or An Instrument Of Distortion?
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2005, 10:13:06 AM »

"Checking the performance of preamps can be improved by cascading a number of these units whith unity gain set up."

I do not agree. Pre-amps in unity have far better specs for distortion than e.g. with a gain of 40 dB. By hanging more than one preamp in cascade, the effect maybe gets multiplied, but it is not the same effect.

I tested preamps by using analog tapes going directly into my listening amplifier, and via the preamp to test into my listning amplifier, lining up at the same level, and a preamp gain which is realistic, makes more sense. Compare the difference with your ears, in blind test.

Another trick is, to mix the output of the preamp directly with the original signal, using a state of the art summing amp, and flip the signal in one group in reverse phase, and listen to the resulting signal. What is left is added, is distortion, crosstalk etc, a bit of the summing amp of course also.

Although this has nothing to do with the original post, I just wanted to mention this.

Erik Sikkema
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

maxdimario

« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2005, 10:53:37 AM »

actually you can line them up at unity gain with any gain setting, by using attenuators.

polypal

« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2005, 04:55:00 PM »

Max,

You have cut the grass just before me (Dutch expression)

Thanks!

danickstr

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2005, 10:02:15 PM »

danickstr wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 23:50

doesn't anyone else hear a sort of quantization of the source material...

i don't know about you, but I think this guy is onto something here.  has anyone else felt that a great tube mic had a synthetic enhancement quality to it?  a subtle quantization?
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 16 queries.