R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neve Portico 5042 tape emulation?  (Read 13835 times)

crna59

Re: Neve Portico 5042 tape emulation?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 06:13:38 PM »

KAyo wrote on Sun, 08 June 2008 16:16

And, like you Alan, I plan to use the Algo's and the Masterpiece together. Saying that, I'd like to know what processors you are using through the side-chain loop. I intend to use a focusrite or a Manley etc.. And, apart from the Masterpiece, do you need many more analogue boxes to be amassed or would the Masterpiece suffice with a selected few. Interested to know, thats all.

Welcome to the MP club! You'll definitely enjoy it!

I've used a lot of the typical pieces seen in most places with my MP but the one's that have stuck around are the STC-8, TC6000 and the NSEQ-2.
I also use the Algo plug because I work mostly in DXD. I can only think of 1 or 2 times where the MP was not in the chain. It's that versatile.

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

Garrett H

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 07:01:51 PM »

There was a note at the end of the Manley Mastering Back Bone manual that I found very interesting.  

Is theorized that two people may disagree over a piece of high end gear as a result of usage, not necessarily due to the intrinsic sound of the unit.  

To elaborate, the section suggests that where a piece of gear lives in the chain, how hard it is fed, and the interplay it has with the piece before and after it affects greatly the performance of a given piece of gear.  Therefore, if two engineers , both with golden ears, have completely different impressions of a unit, we have to consider their test configuration.  Unless they used the same set up its quite possible that they were listeing to to 'different' units for all intents and purposes.

Of course, the Manley suggested solution for finding your gears' best place is via the Mastering Back Bone, but my gut instinct and past experiences tend to agree that a piece of gear has to be integrated into your chain with significant trial and error.

Best,
GH
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

KAyo

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 09:06:33 PM »

Hi Bruce!
Thank you Sir Cool
Yup, checked out your site via MP site, read your thoughts, and liked the room too!

Mate, a couple of questions then..
I don't own a STC-8, TC6000 nor the NSEQ-2, I only wish I did. Looking into the TC6000 shortly. Although, I have the MD3 on my TC Power core, but, that can't be incorporated into the side chain etc.. And, that brings me to my second question Bruce. Can you specify if possible or give us a ball park view of your chain.
My chain for example could be [EG] Computer-> with surgical VST plugs-(Algo/Plpar/Sonnox/UAD) {cause I still don’t own a Weiss } -> RME 800 DA/AD -> Masterpiece + -Side Chain boxes =[Crane Song Trakker/ Focusrite Mixmaster/ Tfpro/ Distressors/ Oram Mastering EQ/ Manley] -> Computer TC MD3 . What do you reckon?

Give us a glimpse into your approach mate. Thanks

Ciao’
KAYO

http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

dcollins

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 10:44:50 PM »

Fwiw, I tried that unit last year and did not get it.  At all.  First it doesn't sound like tape (no surprise really) and I couldn't think of a time when that sound would be useful.  Maybe the one in the console is different, but it left me wondering what all the fuss was about............

I would be the worst audio reviewer of all time!

DC

KAyo

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »

hahahahha DC Laughing
not true mate. Your one liners have always been very genuine in my books. You speak as you see it. That's what we like:)

And, thanks to Garrett H. for introducing me to the backbone. I was in search for a switcher. Crook-wood was on the cards, but the Manley backbone would definitely warrant a look.

Ciao'
KAYO

http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

crna59

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 11:26:46 PM »

KAyo wrote on Sun, 08 June 2008 20:06

Mate, a couple of questions then..
I don't own a STC-8, TC6000 nor the NSEQ-2, I only wish I did. Looking into the TC6000 shortly. Although, I have the MD3 on my TC Power core, but, that can't be incorporated into the side chain etc.. And, that brings me to my second question Bruce. Can you specify if possible or give us a ball park view of your chain. Ciao’
KAYO

I've always used 8 channel converters (EMM Labs/DAD/Aurora), so I don't have an insert switching box. The new Manley box intrigues me though. Right now if I want to change the order of the equipment, I have to do it in the Pyramix routing.
I tried having the other devices in the insert loop of the MP, but felt the MP was adding it's own signature to the mix as well. I've never been a big fan of plugins until I used the Algorithmix stuff and the TC rig. The only limitation I see of the TC rig is it only goes up to 96k if you stay in the digital domain. I got the analog in/out option so that's not a problem now.
My "typical" chain would be computer / plugs / DA / MP / NSEQ-2 / STC-8 / TC / AD / computer / Avocet
I don't use the TC much except for BW and surround projects.
I feel the other 2 pieces make a great compliment to the MP.

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 06:30:27 AM »

Since the Materpiece was brought up, here is another interesting review.
http://www.eqmag.com/article/neves-masterpiece-it/feb-06/165 48

Greg Reierson

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »

dcollins wrote on Sun, 08 June 2008 21:44

Fwiw, I tried that unit last year and did not get it.  At all.  First it doesn't sound like tape (no surprise really) and I couldn't think of a time when that sound would be useful.

After building something very similar I'd have to agree. Haven't powered it up in at least a year. It does add color but after a brief flirtation it's just not what I want very often. Use the HEDD a lot though.

GR

bblackwood

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »

crna59 wrote on Sun, 08 June 2008 22:26

I've always used 8 channel converters (EMM Labs/DAD/Aurora), so I don't have an insert switching box. The new Manley box intrigues me though. Right now if I want to change the order of the equipment, I have to do it in the Pyramix routing.

Wait, what? Do you mean you have each piece of processing gear hanging off one DAC/ADC loop and for every piece of analog gear used the signal has to go through a conversion loop?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Larrchild

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 02:18:10 PM »

dcollins wrote on Sun, 08 June 2008 22:44

I would be the worst audio reviewer of all time!

DC

Or the best..
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

crna59

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 03:06:51 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 09 June 2008 13:03

Wait, what? Do you mean you have each piece of processing gear hanging off one DAC/ADC loop and for every piece of analog gear used the signal has to go through a conversion loop?

No, actually I need the 8 channel converters for surround.
I have the analog section on the 1-2 channel loop. I still need another D/A for monitoring. I don't use the Avocet converters because they can't go higher than 192. I just have the luxury? of having my D/A monitoring with the same converters without having to use splitters.

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Seattle, WA

bblackwood

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »

crna59 wrote on Mon, 09 June 2008 14:06

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 09 June 2008 13:03

No, actually I need the 8 channel converters for surround.
I have the analog section on the 1-2 channel loop. I still need another D/A for monitoring. I don't use the Avocet converters because they can't go higher than 192. I just have the luxury? of having my D/A monitoring with the same converters without having to use splitters.

Regards,
Bruce

So how do you change the order of the equipment in the Pyramix routing as you stated above?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

crna59

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 09 June 2008 14:12

So how do you change the order of the equipment in the Pyramix routing as you stated above?

I guess I misspoke. I can change the order of the digital and analog equipment, not each individual analog piece. That's why I'm looking at the Manley and Crookwood units.

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Seattle, WA

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.