R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DA2X - opinions?  (Read 4241 times)

Henrik Vogel

Yamaha DA2X - opinions?
« on: September 10, 2005, 07:26:06 AM »

I'm in the business for a decent stereo DA-converter for monitoring, and happened to see a used Yamaha DA2X for not too much money. From what I gather, it's an old unit which is no longer produced. Has anyone tried it? Could it still be of use or has the advancements in technology made it obsolete?

Thanks,
Henrik
RECORDISTA! pro audio

Ronny

Re: Yamaha DA2X - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:00:12 AM »

Henrik Vogel wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 07:26

I'm in the business for a decent stereo DA-converter for monitoring, and happened to see a used Yamaha DA2X for not too much money. From what I gather, it's an old unit which is no longer produced. Has anyone tried it? Could it still be of use or has the advancements in technology made it obsolete?

Thanks,
Henrik

Good for their day, but 20 bit 8x oversampling and max at 48k. IMHO, you'd be better off going with the newer Yam converters. 24 bit 96k, 128x oversampling. The improvements that Asahi-Kasei has made to their chips over the timespan since the DA2x came out and now, are quite noticable. Prices have gone way down also since it was first released. Unless you are getting the DA2X very, very cheap, you can probably buy the latest converters new for less price than the DA2x goes for used.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------