R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: KEL HM-1 continues to blow me away  (Read 25940 times)

Frob

Re: KEL HM-1 continues to blow me away
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2005, 05:44:25 PM »

i have use the HM1s on manny applications. i have never been disappointed with the sound. that dosent meant that i think there best for every thing, but they are worthy mics, and with there price should be in any one closet. they are fantastic on cabs and are my favorite to use on toms now. i do have one complaint, when used on toms you do need to quiet the case' with some gaffers tape. mine do rattle a litle bit.

R Geoff Ruby

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2005, 12:38:34 PM »

How's the off axis rejection?

I'm often recording in baaaaaaaad rooms, so this is very important to me.

Thanks,
Geoff Ruby

Trumpetman2

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 09:10:40 AM »

Josh:  Tried to open the Oktava m319...does NOT open the same as the 219 at all...in fact, I removed the 4 screws surrounding the grille and nothing happened, the grill does not come off.  So much for modding the 319 Shocked Anyone taken the grill off of one of these...?  Help!

josh

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 09:53:32 AM »

I wouldn't think an Oktava MK-319 would open up like a 219, it's a completely different mic body.

Surely someone has had one open.  Just look at the thing and figure it out Smile

Internally, it's the same as a 219.

mryan

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 12:57:31 PM »

To open up a 319 remove the four screws around the grill, the grill
then will come off, just pull up, be careful the capsule is now exposed, there is a screw at the bottom that should be removed, and then the four screws on the plate for the switches. Now before you try to remove the internal works you have to unscrew the 2 screws on the little board attached to the switch plate. be very careful, the wires are easy to break. Now slide the circuit board back in the housing and carefully side the whole assembly  up and out.

I like to replace all the caps in the electrolytics in the amp with
better quality caps, also the ceramic cap used between the capsule and the fet with film or silver mica caps.

the final thing that one might do is rebias the fet.

Marty

Oh, and while the circuit is the same as a 219, the layout on the board is very different.

R Geoff Ruby

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 03:22:09 PM »

One more question about the KEL. Does it have any sonic similarity at all to other fairly neutral condenser mics - I'm thinking in particular about the AT 4047 and the Shure KSM line.

Thanks,
Geoff Ruby

Kurt Foster

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2005, 05:04:04 PM »

Geoff,
The only direct comparison I have made myself was against a U87ai on male vocal on a blues track.

I placed the U87 and the HM-1 side by side at the same distance as close together as I possible. They both shared the same popper stopper and I ran them through a pair of Sebatron vmp pres.

I really had a difficult time telling the difference between the 2 tracks in that particular instance. Not exactly the same but more than not. If it were a blind test, I doubt I could pick out which was which. I would be curious to see what the results would be if someone else did the same comparison.

One thing I can assure you of ... the HM-1 is not your typical Chinese copy mic ... It is a unique design that fills it's own niche'.

K.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »

Marty:  Thanks, I'll give the procedure a try! Very Happy

josh

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2005, 07:59:35 AM »

R Geoff Ruby wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 20:22

One more question about the KEL. Does it have any sonic similarity at all to other fairly neutral condenser mics - I'm thinking in particular about the AT 4047 and the Shure KSM line.

Thanks,
Geoff Ruby

never tried a 4047 but we also have KSM32s.  My initial take is that the KSMs are more "hissy" sounding (more top end? more distorted top end?  ??), but only really compared them as drum overheads.  The KELs have a more meaty midrange than the KSMs.  Dunno about vocals or anything else.

The more we use the KELs though, the more we like them.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2005, 12:52:16 PM »

Josh and Marty:

SUCCESS! Removed the black "thingy" on the M-319; a very easy chore on the 319.  IT SOUNDS AMAZING!  Much more "open" and "lush."  Will try it on more things tonight (after work).  Marty: do you think doing those other upgrades you mention will make it even better?  If so, would you be interested in doing it for a fee?  Let me know.... Very Happy

luckybastard

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2005, 01:02:52 PM »

hey trumpetman. i did it to my 219. i am going home to try it on vocals tonight. by the way, i grew up in fort washington. went to friendly hs. i live in se dc now...

mryan

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2005, 02:24:01 PM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 17:52

Josh and Marty:

SUCCESS! Removed the black "thingy" on the M-319; a very easy chore on the 319.  IT SOUNDS AMAZING!  Much more "open" and "lush."  Will try it on more things tonight (after work).  Marty: do you think doing those other upgrades you mention will make it even better?  If so, would you be interested in doing it for a fee?  Let me know.... Very Happy

Changing the caps has bigger improvement is sound than the resonator on the capsule in my mind. High quality caps will open up the sound and improve the sense of detail and lushness.

I would rather not have people sending me their mics, changing the caps is very easy, just use very good quality ones of appropriate value, any local tech worth a damn could do it.  I recommend nichicon from Micheal Percy Audio.

Marty

Trumpetman2

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2005, 02:32:56 PM »

Marty:  Thanks again.  I'll look into that.

TO LB- Neat!  I love this area, specially right by the river...very nice living.  What kind of music do you record in your studio?  What is your setup?

josh

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2005, 03:26:21 PM »

you know i will also note that capacitors all sound different.  they will CHANGE the sound a lot, potentially.  and they should be real easy to change out.

i guess i should do that to mine too Smile  cheap parts.  $20 will do wonders in capacitors.  the mic i have that sounds most like it needs new caps is my Studio Projects B1.

luckybastard

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2005, 03:37:31 PM »

i have a hip-hop/r&b setup. i use several budget mics(57's, ev 630, 219's, mc012's) through a hamptone tube pre into an mbox. it's adequate right now because most of the stuff i do is midi. the only thing i record in the "real world" is vocals and some guitar and bass.

for my rock band's recordings we use studio out in cheverly which has a protools tdm setup with industry standard pres and such...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.