R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: KEL HM-1 continues to blow me away  (Read 26040 times)

josh

Re: KEL HM-1 continues to blow me away
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 08:32:05 AM »

KEL HM-1 is day and night different mic from the modified MK-219.

KEL:  detailed, articulate, unhyped, naturally smooth & full sounding ... best one-word description:  "concrete"

MI-219 with mods:  dark, lush, euphonic, colored ... best one-word description: "voluptuous"

The KEL is a balanced meal.  The Oktava is an indulgent dessert.

You could record nearly every track on the record with the KEL.  You had better only use the Oktava once.

luckybastard

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 09:34:36 AM »

I have already done the grill mod on one of my 219's. i guess my next question is how do i get into the body to take a look-see at these resonators to see if i am capable of getting them off. the only technical experience i have is putting in some guitar pickups and building a hamptone tube pre. also do you know how to dampen the body so i don't get the "boink" sound when it's moved?

josh

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 09:53:17 AM »

luckybastard wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 14:34

I have already done the grill mod on one of my 219's. i guess my next question is how do i get into the body to take a look-see at these resonators to see if i am capable of getting them off.

Body comes apart into two halves.  Take the top half off (unscrew the "base" that holds it to the stand adapter, remove the one screw that holds the "top" on).  Now you will be staring at the capsule.  You can remove the PCB upon which the capsule is mounted by taking out the little standoff IIRC, then you will have the mic in three pieces:  two sides of the case, and the guts.  I imagine to do the grillemod, you had to disassemble it like this.

The "resonator" is the black or gray plastic round thingy on the capsule secured around the edges with a coupla teeny screws.  It has holes in it that are actually kind of like tuned ports to resonate certain frequencies and make the mic a little brighter at the expense of transient response and phase detail I'd guess.

The problem is that the center electrode wire (with a little lug attached to a screw in the center of the diaphragm) runs through the hole in the middle of the resonator.  So you can remove the little screws that hold the resonator on, and then it will be loose but still can't be removed with the wire running through it (the wire obviously holds it on... will be very obvious once the mic's apart).  So you have to either (a) remove the screw securing the center electrode from the diaphragm, slip the resonator off, and then reinstall the screw/electrode [totally NOT recommended], (b) unsolder the wire where that electrode attaches to the circuit board, slip the resonator off, and re-solder it back [slightly more recommended], or (c) use a wire cutter to snip the resonator to bits so it can be removed from the wire without removing either end of the wire.

I don't remember if there is a resonator on both sides of the capsule or not.  If there is, then the rear one is easy to remove, there is no electrode to take off, just screws.

Put the screws back where they came from after you remove the resonator.  Don't poke the screwdriver through the diaphragm.  This is a whole lot harder than you think.  flat-head screwdriver slips out of those slots in the screws very easily!

Quote:

also do you know how to dampen the body so i don't get the "boink" sound when it's moved?

yes, jam it in one of these http://tensimount.com/

actually it won't dampen the body, just lessen the odds of it being moved.  Some folks have put silicone caulk inside the mic body to dampen it.  The grille mod will most likely fix the "ding" since it's the ringing of the grille bars that is so easily picked up by the mic capsule.  Easiest thing to do is just mechanically isolate the mic while it's in use with a shock mount.  A MK-219 just barely fits in a tensimount.

luckybastard

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 10:37:20 AM »

thanks for the info. now having done the resonator mod to one and having the other still with it on, which is more suitable as a vocal mic and with what kinds of voices. also what else is the resonator modded one good for? the only quality pre i have is the hamptone tube pre. i rarely use the pres on my mbox.

$a1Ty

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 06:52:45 PM »

digibird wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 14:39

At $99 each (includes shipping), the KEL HM-1 is one you can afford to keep up with:

http://www.kelaudio.com/hm1.html

I received a pair in the mail just a few days ago and am looking foward to using them in the next few days.  I'll report back what I learn/hear.

hey thanks for samples of this mic, love it, is that price there for a pair or just an individual mic?

and you wouldnt happen to know if they are available in australia anywhere lol
Nathan Salt
Hence the nickname - it's an aussie thing

Jack Schitt

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 07:02:19 PM »

$a1Ty wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 18:52

digibird wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 14:39

At $99 each (includes shipping), the KEL HM-1 is one you can afford to keep up with:

http://www.kelaudio.com/hm1.html

I received a pair in the mail just a few days ago and am looking foward to using them in the next few days.  I'll report back what I learn/hear.

hey thanks for samples of this mic, love it, is that price there for a pair or just an individual mic?

and you wouldnt happen to know if they are available in australia anywhere lol

They are $99 a piece shipping included and for a $10 per mic premium will ship you a matched pair including freq graphs. $218 for a matched pair of a mics that good is pretty sweet. I think there may be a premium for international shipping of I believe $20 per mic but check the website to confirm

Last I looked they are only available via the website.

$a1Ty

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 01:55:49 AM »

yeah i took a look bit extra for international, as long as i dont have to pay tax, i'm certainly gonna pick up a matched pair
Nathan Salt
Hence the nickname - it's an aussie thing

josh

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 06:46:06 AM »

luckybastard wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 15:37

thanks for the info. now having done the resonator mod to one and having the other still with it on, which is more suitable as a vocal mic and with what kinds of voices. also what else is the resonator modded one good for?

I almost never use these for vocal tracks, in fact I like them on guitar cabs better.

But obviously the resonator-mod mic is better whenever you just want a darker, more lush kind of sound, when you have an uncrowded mix.  The other mic is just brighter and less intimate sounding, so it works in a louder mix.  Really I don't have all that much experience with them on vocals.  Might change soon tho.

Kurt Foster

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 01:13:10 PM »

I got a matched pair of HM-1s when they first hit the market and I 've had a chance to live with them for a while now. I think they sound great on guitar amps. They give you all the body and punch without sounding fizzy or with the high end crackle that happens a lot when recording guitar amps.

I also have tried the HM-1 alongside a U87ai on some vocal tracks and to be honest there was more in common than different between the two tracks.

KEL does these mics at $99 each shipping included and they offer a 21 day return policy, no questions asked. If you by a single and decide later you want it matched with another one, they will do that for a small fee.

Harvey, if you want, I would be happy to send you the pair I have for you to check out for a while .. BUT I want them back!  ... drop a line to me .. I think you have my email addy ...

hargerst

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 03:55:42 PM »

Hey, good to see you here, Kurt.  (For those of you who don't know who Kurt is, he usta run some excellent forums and did reviews over at another place).

Yeah, I'd like to give them a try when you have a chance.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

josh

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 04:27:44 PM »

Yes I like them a lot on guitar cabinets too but have not tried them for vocals.

We did a session with them on toms and they were all that  ...  PM me if you wanna hear it.  Coupla days later we did another session with standby MD-421's on toms and the HM-1's are far and away my favorite.

Kurt Foster

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 05:25:45 PM »

hargerst wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 12:55

Hey, good to see you here, Kurt.  (For those of you who don't know who Kurt is, he runs some excellent forums and does reviews over at (deleted)  Yeah, I'd like to give them a try when you have a chance.

Harvey,
Thanks for the welcome. I am no longer affiliated with RO. The members there are great but ....... Rolling Eyes (nuff' said!).

You will be seeing more of me in these parts now ... I will not be contributing to RO any longer.

I'll contact you via e mail and we can work out getting you the mics to try out. I think I'll be sending a couple of my favorite mic pres to Fletcher to check out as well ...  these are all manufacturers who have been very cool with me so I like to give them a bump when the opportunity arises. I know you will love the HM-1s when you get to use them.  

Kurt

josh

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 04:59:04 PM »

Jack Schitt

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2005, 05:47:33 PM »

josh wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 16:59

HM-1's on drum overheads

http://www.prophetsandpoets.com/josh/mp3/spy.mp3

I haven't had a chance to try the Kel's on OH's yet.

What other mics are used on the kit? Were the kels used on the percussion as well?

josh

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 05:59:15 PM »

Denny W. wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 22:47

josh wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 16:59

HM-1's on drum overheads

http://www.prophetsandpoets.com/josh/mp3/spy.mp3

I haven't had a chance to try the Kel's on OH's yet.

What other mics are used on the kit? Were the kels used on the percussion as well?

kick:  MD-421 in the hole in the front head
snare: SM57
floor tom (it's a 13x13): MD-421
we had an SM57 on the hi-hat but I don't know if it made it into the mix.
no mic on the rack tom, just OH's and bleed into the snare mic.

the "other percussion" is a little pair of mini-bongos about 2-3" in diameter, you play them with your fingers.  I wasn't there when it was recorded so I don't know what he used to record it, but my guess would have to be either an SM57 or a KSM32.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.