R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Crappiest, Cheapest Room with great sound  (Read 2979 times)

brandondrury

The Crappiest, Cheapest Room with great sound
« on: November 18, 2005, 12:39:46 AM »

I'm working on filling my piggy bank for my first real room.  I'm contemplating the idea of putting the studio in my home again when I build my next house.  There are some advantages and disadvantages to this.

Another idea I had was to rent or buy a facility.  I want to be able to take a great drummer with a great kit and come out with something pro (assuming my engineering doesn't blow total ass).  

Have you guys ever gotten tremendous drum sounds out of some shitty dump?  If so, tell me everything.  I'm looking for ways to save cash and get a room that won't hold me back like my 10x12x8 live room is right now.  I'm looking for a place that may be fairly temporary, but maybe not.  I'm not wanting to spend a big chunk of cash on acoustic treatments yet.  I just want to get out of this boxy sounding bear trap attached to my ankle.  

Rats and puss are bad, but I can stand just about anything else.  My studio now is a total dump and the clients can stand it.  Any ideas?

Brandon

copperx

Re: The Crappiest, Cheapest Room with great sound
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 01:01:44 AM »

I have a friend that rents a warehouse and he set up his studio there. I must say that everything, especially drums sound huge. The rent is way cheaper than a department or house. Have you considered  that option?

Vertigo

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 03:15:40 PM »

My live room isn't much bigger than yours, but I'm getting DAMN good sounds out of it. I treated the problem areas with Auralex, a couple of home-made diffusers, and a bit of OC 703 (the placement was half scientific/half luck). Everything sounds AWESOME in that room. Drums sound GREAT - the only thing I can't get is long natural room verbs, and the ceiling is too low for omni's on overheads (but LDC/SDC's work just fine). Other than that I'm very happy with my little room.

-Lance

Frob

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 05:33:08 PM »

thats about the same size as my room, you might try harbor friegt for some moving blankets, then aurelux for a few bass traps and other foam. lastly i have a rollaway bed coverd in blankets standing up in the corner, the room is carpeted. its verry dark but not boxxy. also if i feel like i sould brighten it up a litle bit then i put some highdensity hard board down on the floor.

there are some really good books on this. i need to check my book self and i will come back with an isbn.

CAROne

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 02:10:08 AM »

brandondrury wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 23:39

I'm working on filling my piggy bank for my first real room.  I'm contemplating the idea of putting the studio in my home again when I build my next house.  There are some advantages and disadvantages to this.

Brandon,

Spend the 200 bucks on on a bail of 703 and fabric. It'll change your life, man.  I'm in the process of finishing out my live room and the stuff is incredible! I was skeptical of this stuff until I started hanging it. Night and Day.  The room didnt assert itself so rabidly in the recordings anymore. I still dont have the space for a huge "room" sound, but it was a good way to true up my drum tracks for fairly little.

Dave
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dave Opalecky
Crowass Recording
http://www.crowass.com
"No, it really did sound that way going in to the mic.  Don't blame me!"

giraffe

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 11:44:59 PM »

garadge=garadge door springs!
andy bishop
um....... my dog ate your headphones....

Benmrx

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 01:36:40 AM »

just my .02 would be to go with a wharehouse space, that's what I did and what keeps my little studio busy are the good drum sounds (and the 2" tape).  We signed a 5 year lease, and spent the first 3 months building it out.

The tracking room is roughly 20x30 with 14 ft. ceilings.  Most of our accoustic treatments are DIY.  Wrapping rockwool in burlap, hanging thick, soft carpet pad from the ceiling along one side, and I think there's a total of about 10 pieces of real "studio" foam in there.  The drums (90% of the time) are on a wood stage that sits about a foot off the floor and is totally filled with scrap foam we got for dirt cheap.  

It's not a perfectly tuned room by any stretch of the imagination, but we get some pretty nice, big drum sounds in there.  We're currently building a little vocal booth/dead drum room that's shaped like an egg on the inside and will be super dead using soundboard along the curved walls, a few layers of carpet pad on the ceiling and a couple peices of rockwool wrapped in burlap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.