R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (digital) in's and out's  (Read 1275 times)

hnewman

(digital) in's and out's
« on: September 06, 2005, 11:56:13 PM »

curious to know what people use / recommend for getting in and back out of the box?  

assuming here that one starts with a digital source, feeds it out (spdif or aes/ebu) to analog processing, brings it back into the box (spdif or aes/ebu), and monitors from the box? (another spdif or aes/ebu)

i know that their are monitoring routers that might circumvent the need for the second out, but at any rate my first question stands ;;; PCI cards?  lynx or rme?   are the pro-sumer cards bad news?

TotalSonic

Re: (digital) in's and out's
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:23:59 AM »

I think you'll find most if not all ME's use dedicated AD and DA converters with AES i/o.  Lavry, Apogee, Mytek, dcs, Prism and Benchmark are all commonly used converters for mastering tasks.

Lynx's AES 16 is certainly a good choice for a mastering DAW rig me - http://www.lynxstudio.com/aes16.html .  I think RME also makes excellent cards.

fwiw - For my own DAW's I have one with an older Lynx One card for it's AES i/o along with an inexpensive Terratec Phase 22 for additional spdif i/o - and then another box with Sydec's Mixtreme 192 which has TDIF i/o but can send out to an external TDIF to AES converter box.  Both get sent to a Z-Sys 8.8 digital detangler which sends out to Lavry Blue DAC's and returns from a Mytek Stereo96 ADC.  CD player, DAT and Minidisc all get sent to the Z-sys patch bay via spdif.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ronny

Re: (digital) in's and out's
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 01:07:46 AM »

RME 9636 and 9652 busmaster cards. Optical going in and out of PC. I mainly use PC for editing and burning cd's though. I've had the cards for 5 years now, never had any problems.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------