R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: your favorite acoustic gtr techniques  (Read 6113 times)

Tim Halligan

Re: your favorite acoustic gtr techniques
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 10:34:19 PM »

OK. I'm a bit late but...

A cool trick - depending on the style of playing - is to get a small lavalier like a Tram TR-50, Sennheiser MKE-2, hell even a Sony ECM77...whatever you have floating around and tape it in the soundhole. Let the actual capsule swing - not that it will swing that much - about an inch and a hal ffrom the soundhole lip.

Spank as necessary.

Use in combination with your usual setup and blend to taste.

Certainly adds warmth....

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Dave Martin

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 10:19:22 PM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 21:34

A cool trick - depending on the style of playing - is to get a small lavalier like a Tram TR-50, Sennheiser MKE-2, hell even a Sony ECM77...whatever you have floating around and tape it in the soundhole. Let the actual capsule swing - not that it will swing that much - about an inch and a hal ffrom the soundhole lip.

That was pretty common in Nashville when I moved here in the mid 80's - at least in the cheezy studios I was playing in. In those rooms, only the drums and the singer were in iso booths, so the acoustic player was out in the room with everyone else. If I remember right (I wasn't engineering then, just playing bass), a guy named Joe Mills built these little lav type mics that were what everyone used. You apparently had to EQ the crap out of the signal to make it useable, but it worked.

GoobAudio

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 09:14:24 AM »

I recorded my hundred dollar Yamaha last week with four mics.

One SM81 pointing at the 12th fret angled from the sound hole toward the head of the guitar.

One Studio Projects about 8 inches off the hole

Two Marshall 602s which are spaced about 3.5 feet apart on my drum overhead bar pointed at the guitar about 10' away.

you can hear the sounds for strumming, slide and lead here.

The drum overheads stayed pointing away from the drums when I recorded the drum track. We were going for a far away drum sound.

Click Hall of Fame  on this page if you want to hear it.

wwittman

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2005, 09:09:40 PM »

I like ONE great large diaphragm, usually tube, condenser placed carefully.
That tends to sound better to me than multiple mics.

GOOD U-47's are my favourite followed by Gefell UM-900's as a close second.

An RCA BA-6A compressor completes the picture for me.
That seems to make an acoustic guitar sound bigger, and just BETTER -  no matter what the genre or any other variable.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Dave Martin

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2005, 10:26:09 PM »

I'm still sold on a pair of KSM 44's - one about a foot from the 12th fret, and one about head high pointed at the body of the guitar and a couple of feet back - get the phase right and go.

TheViking

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »

wwittman wrote on Sun, 25 September 2005 21:09

An RCA BA-6A compressor completes the picture for me.
That seems to make an acoustic guitar sound bigger, and just BETTER -  no matter what the genre or any other variable.

I strongly agree.   Last year I had a good friend of mine come in and track some singer/songwriter type demos with me.   All live, just him singing and his buddy on guitar.   I used the BA-6 with one TLM103 on the acoustic guitar and it was pretty sweet.

My BA-6 never ceases to amaze me in many situations - the thing is really the best piece of equipment I own right now.   If you have the means, I suggest picking one up.   Wink
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

Lee Knight

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 10:14:11 AM »

A band I'm producing brought in an old 1940's Washburn (didn't know that went back that far). Anyway, they hand it to me and say, "you're playing this". F-holes. My regular technique of a SDC 12" away at the 12th fret was not cutting it.

After several different stabs at it I settled on a GT33 Midsized DC at about eye level, 12" out in front of me pointing at the floor?!?! Well... alright then.

I blended in an ORTF pair from 10' away and it sounded old timey good. Not honky, but warm and mellow.

bloodstone

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 11:34:32 AM »

A pair of AKG 414BULS.  About 6-8" off the guitar.  One aimed at the 12th fret.  One off axis aimed at a point above the sound hole and toward the bridge saddle.  Cardioid pattern.

An Oktava ML52 through a Drawmer 1969, aimed at a point above the sound hole and toward the bridge saddle.

I double track acoustic a lot.  Neil Young's After the Gold Rush has some good examples of double-tracked non-identical performances on acoustic.

The best acoustic sound I ever got was my Taylor 710 into an AKG Solidtube through a Drawmer 1969.  I was wearing headphones and adjusted the guitar instead of adjusting the mic until I heard something I liked through the phones.  I was pretty close, the guitar was within about 3" of the mic.  Pretty weird, as the Solidtube wouldn't have been my first choice.  It was up as I was doing vox.

Another thing I've found to amaze is an AKG C1000S through a Langevein DVC.

For singer/songwriter types tracking all at once, I like a pair of figure 8 patterns set up to reject the voice and guitar.  Usually use a pair of 414BULS, but have used a pair of Oktava ML 52.

mikepecchio

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2005, 01:20:20 AM »

If it isn't the primary instrument I am often amazed by how good an EV 635a can sound on acoustic guitar.  for a more up front sound I love the powerful low end of a coles, but the top needs lots of EQ. And I'll second the beyer 201 suggestion. those mics are fantastic.

mike p

6x2

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2005, 06:55:36 AM »

Check out the Ac gtr thread in 101 of the MARSH.

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/8354/?SQ=047fa8b687 6c3cf1ba8b826eac019698

6x2
"I could easily give back any minimal dynamics lost compressing with a bit more eq on my mixer." -JP22 in his infinite wisdom

index.php/fa/4903/0/

j.hall

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2005, 02:16:54 PM »

a great round (no high end) sound can be achieved by placing a pair of head phones over the body and running them to a DI box.

ends up blending in kinda cool on more vibey tracks.

scottoliphant

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2005, 12:09:40 PM »

sm81 at 12th fret
akg 414 out for room, or 2 414's for stereo room sound blended with the 81

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.