R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: airport security and microphones  (Read 3035 times)

testtone

airport security and microphones
« on: August 31, 2005, 02:03:50 PM »

hi...

have to travel via air for a session this week and need to bring some mics - then it dawned on me that the guy from the polyphonic spree basically shut down a terminal trying to take one of his mics thru security - has anyone had any problems with this, or have any suggestions? I want to bring 1 briefcase sized flight case full of mics and would prefer not to be strip searched...i would like to think the TSA knows that mics aren't bombs but you never know.

lord

Re: airport security and microphones
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 02:58:12 PM »

If I recall, it was some freak boutique mic that looks like a pipe bomb. The name escapes me.

You are fine with anything that actually looks like a microphone.

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 03:05:23 PM »

yup.  i do this all the time actually.

they'll x-ray it, maybe ask you what's up and off you go.

the only airport that was a complete nightmare for me was portland.  if i never visit portland again i won't be too upset.

testtone

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 03:49:51 PM »

cool. thanks guys!

Chad Sims

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 04:43:42 PM »

Are you flying out of O'hare or Midway if its Midway you could probably take real explosives on the plane.

drumsound

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 12:30:59 AM »

I brought a bag and a small case full of mics to California.  I had them as my carry-on because I don't trust the baggage monkeys.  I had to open each bag and box and the swabbed each mic.  Both at O'Hare and SanFran.  Though it took about ten minutes, staffs at both airports were very nice and even friendly.  Leave yourself a bit of extra time and you'll be fine.

Daniel Farris

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 05:38:31 PM »

Quote:

then it dawned on me that the guy from the polyphonic spree basically shut down a terminal trying to take one of his mics thru security

Funny. The very microphone Brian was trying to take is sitting next to me on my desk as I type this.

They blasted his luggage open with a water cannon. This mic was literally the only thing in it that survived undamaged.

Good thing it wasn't a bomb.

TotalSonic

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 12:15:42 AM »

Good topic - looks like I might need to fly some mics from NYC to Austin in October.  

So - do you guys let the airport checkers know about the microphones as you are checking the bag - or does this just cause more problems?
If you've tried both taking on as carry on and keeping the mics in the bag you checked - what way ended up with more hassles?

BEst regards,
Steve Berson

Daniel Farris

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 02:24:43 AM »

Really, you shouldn't have any problems.

The reason Brian had his luggage blasted open is that, in an X-ray, the mic really does look like a pipe bomb.

http://www.placidaudio.com/

Earlier this year, I flew to and from L.A. with a green bullet, a tape echo, two pieces of rack gear, an electro harmonix microsynth, and three guitar pedals... in checked luggage, and had absolutely zero problems.

Played a gig at the Playboy Mansion. How NOT INDIE is that?

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 09:15:56 AM »

An important detail about that airport story is that he'd forgotten his bag at one of the check-in desks.  Abandoned bag, pipe-shaped object inside...   Shocked
http://www.scotthelmke.com/team-downbeat-1.jpg

Daniel Farris

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 12:01:23 AM »

Quote:

An important detail about that airport story is that he'd forgotten his bag at one of the check-in desks. Abandoned bag, pipe-shaped object inside...

This was a detail I hadn't heard before, so I double checked with Brian last night when he was in to cut some drums.

Untrue, says he. He checked it in, had it tagged, answered the three questions, etc.

GoobAudio

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 09:02:39 AM »

On a similar subject I carried a JT30 "bullet" harmonica mic and a belt holster of harps through many airports. A lot of security people were interested in my bag. Once a guy played each of my harps. This is disgusting I mean it was not some hot babe but some forigner who's breath I could smell from 3 feet away.

From that point on when I saw one of these guys thinking about blowing my harps I would jump in and take the opportunity to blow some harp for them. After a few notes most screeners would loose interest in me. I hope it is not because they wanted to avoid a riot due to the racket.

If the box says bullet anywhere on it, leave it at home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.