R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: time to pay some respects....  (Read 4723 times)

twonky

Re: time to pay some respects....
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2005, 03:00:16 pm »

rollmottle wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 20:20

you cannot even front on Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, The Alan Parsons Project, or pretty much all of Bowie's work in the 70s (especially his 3 Berlin records...listen to Lodger and you can hear post-punk sounds before punk had even come of age. so far ahead of its time). the production values alone are worth the price of admission.

of course, everything Eno has touched (his work with Bowie, Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Devo, his solo work) including his brilliant work with U2. the hits in eno's body of work alone is an unparalleled achievement of boundary pushing & massive pop success.

i'd also like to mention Talk Talk (spirit of eden, laughing stock) and Mark Hollis' first solo record. they made a huge transformation from being an 80s cheese band into one of the most avant garde outfits out there. in my opinion, laughing stock has some of the best sounds/songs ever committed to tape and is one of the finest records made in the past 20 years.

and no shame over here in admitting my love for Rush, Yes, Guns 'N Roses, early Metallica, and early Slayer.  Cool

Aye-fucking-men!

I love being the company of people who can praise talk Talk and Slayer  in the same post!

I love every band mentioned.

must also give praise to Iggy Pop

j.hall

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2005, 03:47:41 pm »

if we're going to throw out slayer, and i agree they deserve respect, then sepultura and prong need to get a big nod as well

Arise and Beg To Differ are monster records.

sepultura roots is one of the sickest metal albums i've ever heard.  the intensity of the performances and the massive aggression of the parts just makes you raise your fist up and give respect to a band that defined modern metal......from brazil!!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy Victor's guitar work with prong will blow your mind.  it's no eddi van halen wankerie, but it's seriously hard to play like he plays it.  the articulation and chord structures he used are awesome.

rollmottle

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2005, 10:48:06 pm »

twonky wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 12:00

rollmottle wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 20:20

you cannot even front on Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, The Alan Parsons Project, or pretty much all of Bowie's work in the 70s (especially his 3 Berlin records...listen to Lodger and you can hear post-punk sounds before punk had even come of age. so far ahead of its time). the production values alone are worth the price of admission.

of course, everything Eno has touched (his work with Bowie, Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Devo, his solo work) including his brilliant work with U2. the hits in eno's body of work alone is an unparalleled achievement of boundary pushing & massive pop success.

i'd also like to mention Talk Talk (spirit of eden, laughing stock) and Mark Hollis' first solo record. they made a huge transformation from being an 80s cheese band into one of the most avant garde outfits out there. in my opinion, laughing stock has some of the best sounds/songs ever committed to tape and is one of the finest records made in the past 20 years.

and no shame over here in admitting my love for Rush, Yes, Guns 'N Roses, early Metallica, and early Slayer.  Cool

Aye-fucking-men!

I love being the company of people who can praise talk Talk and Slayer  in the same post!

I love every band mentioned.

must also give praise to Iggy Pop

i say good music is good music no matter what. http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/images/message_icons/icon14.gif

iggy pop lays it down. have to lump "The Idiot" in with Bowie's Berlin output...that record is so grimey and sleazy and superb. love it. Eno and Bowie were so prolific through the mid to late 70s. totally unreal.

as far as Prong goes, when i was super into metal back in my high school years, they were one of the bands that i just couldn't get down with. dunno what it was...in fact, their cassette is one of the ONLY pieces of music i've ever sold back to a record store. i did however think Helmet, Hammerhead, and Janitor Joe and all that Amphetamine Reptile shit ruled.

EDIT: never had a Sepultura record, but i saw them open for Helmet and Ministry back in like 94 and i was in metal/alt-metal/industrial? heaven. what a great fucking show.
SENTRALL Sound East
My SoundCloud | Twitter | www.sentrall.com

rollmottle

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2005, 10:54:32 pm »

i'll also take this moment to give it up for the Bee Gees.

and i'm going to add Donna Summer, especially her work with Giorgio Moroder. and speaking of Moroder, he's a class A producer & artist.
SENTRALL Sound East
My SoundCloud | Twitter | www.sentrall.com

compasspnt

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2005, 11:04:55 pm »

alogan wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 21:38

Apparently queen is going to get back together...just won't be the same sans freddy mercury...

Guess who the new Queen lead singer is.....

Paul Rodgers!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up