R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The endless Mixer debate goes on and on...  (Read 12606 times)

wavdoctor

The endless Mixer debate goes on and on...
« on: August 29, 2005, 01:47:17 PM »

Hey All, new to this forum but not to the music world. my latest digital board to hit the dust is a tascam dm24..before that I had a d8b..too much fan noise, before that an O2r..too much squinting to read the little 6x6 tV. I am wondering, since I am now using nuendo and pretty much mixing ITB..why feed more money to have an impressive array of sliders and basically using it as a giant stereo playback unit. My goal is to locate a small..maybe 6-10 mic input Analog board with nice pre's, tight eq and predictable compression on the board itself? Am I out of my mind? do they make such an animal? I can put together a rack of API stuff for about 12,000. But there has to an small PRO board that has these specs!!   Any suggestions out there..Don't make me fork over more american dollars for a yamaha 01v96..a little history My dm24 is 1 1/2 years old, it has approx 20-30 hours on it, I turned it on one day and it said "very bad error!!" the repair shop said $1590.00!! I sait what! I called tascam they said out of warranty..so now it's sitting in a corner while I shop...sad.

WD
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

fj

Re: The endless Mixer debate goes on and on...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 03:18:26 PM »

I like the DM24 (I have 2 linked together) for all the digital connections and recallable monitoring combinations for various recording, mixing and mastering capacities. Also, if I want to stay all digital when I mix, I can. I guess it all depends how you work.

Ronny

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 05:24:56 PM »

I wouldn't dismiss the Yammy consoles so fast. With Studio Manager and Editor that comes with the boards now, you have most of your menu's on large monitor sceen. Also, Tascam has a spotty record at best with reliable digi console platforms, the 1000 and 4000 were unreliable, as was the D8B that was plagued with bugs from the get-go. The DM24 was an improvement, but still can't hold a candle to the reliability of the Yamaha build. The 96k yam converters have a noticeable improvement over the old 48k converters, especially the DAC's, IMHO, and I wouldn't judge a modern 96k Yam console with the 02r that came out 10 years ago.

Only you can answer if you'd rather mix with a mouse or real faders, but you aren't likely to find an analog console for under 30 grand that matches the spec's on a digi. Also if you are already recording to digital, it only makes sense to me, to keep the signal in the digital domain without running the signal through unnecessary D/A to A/D conversions and the degradation of a cheap analog mixers components. Don't buy down, buy up.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 09:30:36 PM »

You could spend your dollars on a good controller for Nuendo and an external summing unit like the Dangerous etc.  This leaves you with a bit of cash to spend on a few choice eqs and comps....
Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

wavdoctor

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 07:01:07 AM »

Ronny- Are you saying that instead of the little mini screen you can now hook up a dedicated monitor to the yammy? for big screen enjoyment? KOOL, I did like the O2r for dependability..the menus were a maze though.
Thanks for the info.  WD

Ryan- I thought of the tascam 1884 controller? It feels kind of plastic? but if it works!! I already use some great river,distressors, tube pre's etc..Still decideing..thanks for weighing in though...WD

I opened up my dm24 last night and found a blown fuse? still have some other issues at hand though...
WD
Harry Brookes

Jim Williams

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 09:00:50 AM »

Ronny wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 14:24

Only you can answer if you'd rather mix with a mouse or real faders, but you aren't likely to find an analog console for under 30 grand that matches the spec's on a digi. Also if you are already recording to digital, it only makes sense to me, to keep the signal in the digital domain without running the signal through unnecessary D/A to A/D conversions and the degradation of a cheap analog mixers components. Don't buy down, buy up.

Many would debate that. If digital mixing is the end all, why are so many that sold their analog consoles for peanuts trying to buy them back?

For example, my Soundcraft Delta console measures on my Audio Precision analyzer -90 db stereo crosstalk and .0005%THD+noise. CCIF IMD is at .0002%. Noise is -105 db. I paid $750 for it. Plus, it has depth and width, something I've never heard out of any digital mix.

Those "cheap analog mixers components" still occupy the analog sections of a commercial digital mixer's front and back end. Then you get to mess it all up with dsp.
In this situation, buying down actually was buying up.
One reporter's opinion.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Ronny

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:20:52 PM »

wavdoctor wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 07:01

Ronny- Are you saying that instead of the little mini screen you can now hook up a dedicated monitor to the yammy? for big screen enjoyment? KOOL, I did like the O2r for dependability..the menus were a maze though.
Thanks for the info.  WD

Yes, exactly. Go to the Yamaha site and download Studio Manager version 2. You can install it on your PC and check out the interface and windows without having the console.

With console, it syncs via USB port, so any move that you make on the PC, will correspond to the hardware mixer, and vice versa if you tweak the mixer, SM will correspond. All libraries, routing matrix, eq, dyn and fx processors. All of it can be viewed and accessed in Studio Manager, on a much larger display. Check out the routing matrixes and how easy it is now, to change inputs to any insert or output path with just one click of the square that crosses the source and destination.

Jim Williams, you aren't taking into consideration digital to analog to digital conversions. Measuring the board spec's means nothing witout taking into consideration the extra conversions. Also, I'm talking about the sonic difference between say a Mackie VLZ 16 channel console and a 96k digi console and stated that you won't likely find better sonics until you get up into the 30,000 range with analog.

Roland Storch

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 02:45:15 PM »

When I monitor analog sources via DM1000 or DM2000 I always wonder how someone can say these mixers sound good. Even when monitoring digital sources via the anaolg CR output it sounds worde than with any outboard DA converter. How can you have a good mix if you can`t hear it?

On the other side I find the anaolg outputs of the old Tascam TM-D8000 sound better than on the DM1000/2000 and assume that the DM24 has at least the same quality.

Yamaha may be reliable and have a lot of features but soundwise  .....?

A small analog mixer is a good idea responding wavdocotors question. The Soundcraft Delta200 would not be my first thought - I worked with that for 5 years. Crostalk is bad and even that the preamps aren?t bad the mix always lacks a bit of detail and impulses have kind of smearing. Other small mixers like an old Studer 961 or a Sonosax or ADT or even small consoles originally designed for broadcast like the Amek BCIII sound better, more detailed and more open.

I would like to hear a Manley or GML 10x2 Mixer ....

natpub

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 08:07:13 PM »

You should check out the new Tonelux modular stuff. You could make exactly what you want and expand it as you need.
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

Ronny

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 09:33:32 PM »

Roland Storch wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 14:45

When I monitor analog sources via DM1000 or DM2000 I always wonder how someone can say these mixers sound good. Even when monitoring digital sources via the anaolg CR output it sounds worde than with any outboard DA converter. How can you have a good mix if you can`t hear it?

HUH! The DM2000 outputs +24dBu.

Quote:

On the other side I find the anaolg outputs of the old Tascam TM-D8000 sound better than on the DM1000/2000 and assume that the DM24 has at least the same quality.

Yamaha may be reliable and have a lot of features but soundwise  .....?

Soundwise the Yam's have mixed 10 times the cd's that the Tascams have. People pay more for them and still out buy the Tasc consoles 10 to 1. Your observations aren't parallel to popular view. The old Tasc 1000 and 4000 were pieces of shit. The DM24 is better but the mic-pre's are low gain. The annie input pot tapers suck, you have 40% of the gain in the last 12% of the knob turning up. There is no comparison, to the build on a Yammy, IMHO. For 200 bucks you can send the unit back to Tasc and they put audio tapers in, but they are still low gain, so for 200 dollars plus 50 for shipping you get smoother knobs but no change in the dynamic range. Sonically when going digi in and out with the raw signal, I can hear no difference between the DM24 and the Yam's. I haven't worked on an 8000 and can't comment on those, but you are the first person that I've ever heard that said a DM1000/DM2000 didn't sound good and couldn't hear them. You won't hear any owners that get over the learning curve with them say that.

Quote:

A small analog mixer is a good idea responding wavdocotors question. The Soundcraft Delta200 would not be my first thought - I worked with that for 5 years. Crostalk is bad and even that the preamps aren?t bad the mix always lacks a bit of detail and impulses have kind of smearing. Other small mixers like an old Studer 961 or a Sonosax or ADT or even small consoles originally designed for broadcast like the Amek BCIII sound better, more detailed and more open.

For the small budget annies, the Allen & Heath's aren't bad.

Podgorny

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 10:16:33 PM »

Why not use a control surface and an outboard summing box.

There are a number of options that integrate well with Nuendo ranging from affordable to extravagent.

That would give you all the benefits of fully-recallable mixes, as well as the faders we all know and love.  AND, you get the sonic benefits of analog summing (and whatever outboard gear you may want to patch in).

Plus, depending upon the size of your control surface of choice you   don't miss out on the client-wow factor of a console.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Ronny

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 02:41:38 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 22:16

Why not use a control surface and an outboard summing box.

There are a number of options that integrate well with Nuendo ranging from affordable to extravagent.

That would give you all the benefits of fully-recallable mixes, as well as the faders we all know and love.  AND, you get the sonic benefits of analog summing (and whatever outboard gear you may want to patch in).

Plus, depending upon the size of your control surface of choice you   don't miss out on the client-wow factor of a console.

BTW, Yamaha owns Steinberg now and have a Nuendo interface in the hardware 96k mixers. DAW setup sharing most parameters on the console and Nuendo are possible. They also have a Pro Tools layer, accessible in Studio Manager. Gee, I sound like a Yammy salesman. Not so though, I have nothing to gain monetarily by giving my opinions.

massimo santantonio

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 07:57:08 AM »

Has anyone ever used a summing box after a hardware digital mixer? Can levels and panpots be governed by the mixer?

I have a d2424 Fostex recorder and an old Yamaha 03d mixer. I track completely outboard, and feed the mixer digitally, so I do not use that mixer's micpres and converters, just use it for song repeatability of volume levels, panpots and digital routing. I monitor through benchmark dac1. I do not want to use a computer, I like working like this, though I might wish to upgrade to 96kHz operation.

I think this is similar to ITB mixing, so I am considering experimenting with an outboard multichannel DA converter and a summing box. However the manual of my 03d mixer says I can only output digitally (via lightpipe) the 1 to 8 or 9 to 16 tracks, which in that mixer are the analog tracks (the 17 to 24 tracks are the digital ones, those fed via lightpipe by my recorder).

So I have one general question and one more specific question about my mixer.
Can anyone help please?
Thank you
best regards
Massimo

- even nostalgia isn't what it used to be -

Jim Williams

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 10:19:55 AM »

Ronny wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 10:20

wavdoctor wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 07:01

Thanks for the info.  WD

Jim Williams, you aren't taking into consideration digital to analog to digital conversions. Measuring the board spec's means nothing witout taking into consideration the extra conversions. Also, I'm talking about the sonic difference between say a Mackie VLZ 16 channel console and a 96k digi console and stated that you won't likely find better sonics until you get up into the 30,000 range with analog.

Of course I am. This is why many Radar owners choose to go through an extra stage of conversion just to get that depth that comes only from an analog mix. This is also why so many are experimenting with outboard summing boxes. While some high enders choose to go all digital like Mutt Lange, the results just prove my point. The fact that analog consoles are going for around 10 cents on the dollar, a 3k investment will meet your criteria for good sonics by passing the 30k "list price" level. An examination of the components of say a $300 Spirit Folio and your $30,000 console will reveal the same parts inside.

So, just what are we paying for here? A new coat of paint?
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim Williams

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 10:26:44 AM »

Roland Storch wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 11:45

The Soundcraft Delta200 would not be my first thought - I worked with that for 5 years. Crostalk is bad and even that the preamps aren?t bad the mix always lacks a bit of detail and impulses have kind of smearing. Other small mixers like an old Studer 961 or a Sonosax or ADT or even small consoles originally designed for broadcast like the Amek BCIII sound better, more detailed and more open.

You must have had some problems with it or the interface. Crosstalk is the best I've measured, -90 db at 10k hz. The other's you mentioned are limited to -60 db, or 30 db less wide. The Studer also adds some aural excitment (distortion) that hypes up the tops, maybe this is what you liked. Done plenty of Ameks, they sound small and narrow next to my Delta's.

One Reporter's Opinion.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Han S.

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 01:25:04 PM »

wavdoctor wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 18:47

My dm24 is 1 1/2 years old, it has approx 20-30 hours on it, I turned it on one day and it said "very bad error!!" the repair shop said $1590.00!! I sait what! I called tascam they said out of warranty..so now it's sitting in a corner while I shop...sad.

WD

A DM24 is supposed to serve you more than 30 hours, even if the warranty time is over you still have some warranty left. I would write a letter to Tascam and explain the situation.

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 02:08:49 PM »

I personally don't see the need of a digital mixer anymore. Dedicated controllers work better with DAW's, especially when you consider the good ones have scribble strips so there is no guessing what fader is for what.

The pre's on the digital mixers are ok, but with GML, Manley, Pendlum, Cransong pres out there, I can't see using the pre's on most digital mixers. The converters are nothing to get excited about nor the effects. The UAD and Powercore effects are better than what's on the digital mixers, and they free up your CPU. Heck even Waves has their own box so you can run 6 IR1 reverbs without effecting your computer CPU.

If you use ADAT you cut the amount of tracks by half when going 88 or 96, or AES is limited to a certain amount of tracks.

Am I missing something with the exception of having everything in one box.

wavdoctor

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 02:13:48 PM »

Han S. wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 18:25

wavdoctor wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 18:47

My dm24 is 1 1/2 years old, it has approx 20-30 hours on it, I turned it on one day and it said "very bad error!!" the repair shop said $1590.00!! I sait what! I called tascam they said out of warranty..so now it's sitting in a corner while I shop...sad.

WD

A DM24 is supposed to serve you more than 30 hours, even if the warranty time is over you still have some warranty left. I would write a letter to Tascam and explain the situation.

I called them and spoke to service,She explained that while she thought I was telling the truth they only go by sales receipt date or else everybody would bring their broken stuff back after warranty expiration. I am taking it to another authorized repair facility this weekend. I opened it up and found a blown fuse,replaced that and now it's working...sort of..I smell something cooking and the mains have no output? BUT..the error message on power up is gone.
geesh, It's like everything else..do it yourself if you want it right.
(lets see..pliers,screwdriver,ohm meter,HAMMER,should do it!!

I will write a letter after the problem is diagnosed.
Thanks...WD
Harry Brookes

Ronny

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 06:53:06 PM »

massimo santantonio wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 07:57

Has anyone ever used a summing box after a hardware digital mixer? Can levels and panpots be governed by the mixer?

I have a d2424 Fostex recorder and an old Yamaha 03d mixer. I track completely outboard, and feed the mixer digitally, so I do not use that mixer's micpres and converters, just use it for song repeatability of volume levels, panpots and digital routing. I monitor through benchmark dac1. I do not want to use a computer, I like working like this, though I might wish to upgrade to 96kHz operation.

I think this is similar to ITB mixing, so I am considering experimenting with an outboard multichannel DA converter and a summing box. However the manual of my 03d mixer says I can only output digitally (via lightpipe) the 1 to 8 or 9 to 16 tracks, which in that mixer are the analog tracks (the 17 to 24 tracks are the digital ones, those fed via lightpipe by my recorder).

So I have one general question and one more specific question about my mixer.
Can anyone help please?
Thank you
best regards
Massimo

These aren't really tracks they are channels. Analog in on 1-16 and digital in on 17-24, correct. The ideal console for you, IMHO,if you want a hardware mixer and staying in the digital domain with a D2424, would be the Yammy 01v96V2 and get the MY16-AT ADAT card. You already know the basic architecture of a Yammy digi console with the 03d and although a learning curve with a few of the new features, you'll be able to mix very soon after it comes out of the box. The 96k consoles came out with the mini YGDAI's, so your CD-8 cards would not be compatible, however it has a stock 8 channel ADAT and with the card you can go 24 tracks full digi both ways at 44.1/48k. You have double channel function also on the v96 that allows 88.2/96k even going to an old ADAT 48k recorder, because it's like S/MUX or sample split, the 96k signal is split into two 48k channels, gets recorded to two 48k tracks, and than on mix down assembles the two tracks into one channel again at 96k. You can also do this with the D2424 in 48k mode. You won't be able to run 96k straight to the D2424 without going AES single wire. That would take an upgrade on the D2424 and you would only get 8 channels of 96k instead of 12 using sample split, however, before we get into a big debate over 48 and 96k, I've tested the 96k consoles at 44.1, 48k, 88.2k, 96k and no one has been able to tell the difference between all four sample rates. Blind tests involved accomplished musicians, a couple of producers and other engineers. It's this reason that I switched back to recording at 44.1k instead of 88.2 or 96k. I'm sure other peoples mileage will vary, but these are my findings on raw recorded tracks.

You've got an excellent recorder with the D2424, the FDMS3 linear format is second to none. No defragging, rock solid stable. I've been using the D's since 1996 and have never had one problem with them. I own 4 now including the D2424 (no LV)flagship model with the higher end converters. They aren't any better than the 96k Yams though and you will notice an immediate improvement over the 03d's 20 bit ADC's and DAC's, especially the DAC's have improved. I run 3 DAW's also and I simpley can not get the reliability of the FDMS3 format with Windows or Mac platforms. You probably know by now that the D Fos', do not crash. I still do live remotes to augment my mastering income and it's the most stable recording system that I have found, annie or digi for live remotes where you can't have something breaking and must get each song in one take or else.

As far as the all in one type recorders, I would stay away from them, no matter the brand, VS2480, AW4416 all of them aren't going to be as stable as dedicating the mixer to one unit and the recorder to a separate one. Great thing about the D2424/01v96V2 system is that you can keep everything out of the PC or Mac and process entirely between the console and the jog/shuttle editing on the D2424. Using Studio Manager for the big screen but no audio passes to the computer, the audio stays on the D2424 and you process on the v96 and in Studio Manager just like you would on the 03d with an added large monitor display. You also have the option of using the y56k Waves card, which has a host of Waves processors, such as the L1, L1+, L2, Ren eq and comp, Supertap, Truverb, C1 comp etc. so you can process with Waves without having to run the audio to a computer I suggest that you demo one of the 96k Yams next to the 03d, you'll hear the improvement.

If you'd like to hear some comments from people that are using the DM1000 or 01v96V2 and the D2424 check out the 01v96 group on Yahoo. You'll find many people that switched from ITB mixing to dedicated to audio only systems. Several D2424 owners that traded their Alesis HD24's in for D2424's and people that grew up on the 02r and 03d.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/01v96/