R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going from Live Sound to Recording, on a budget.  (Read 1692 times)

Andy Spalla

Going from Live Sound to Recording, on a budget.
« on: August 27, 2005, 07:33:58 PM »

Hello all,

I'm new to the REP forums. I am 17 years old and I run a small Live sound business. A good friend of mine has a band, and he wants to record after writing some new songs. Now instead of saying "No, I can't do recording," I want to find out out what I can do for him.

I have some live sound mixers which I can use. I can mic everything fine. My problem is the actual recording itself. Let's say I want multiple tracks. What's the cheapest, but decent way to do this? The free version of pro-tools seems like a good option. But getting audio into the computer seems difficult with the budget I have. I had the idea of setting up an array of casette recorders which would be connected to direct outputs of the mixer. Then to get that into the computer, I could use the mic-in on my laptop, and record each cassette player individually into the computer. Then use pro tools to align the tracks, and edit appropriately.

Or I could just do one of their live shows and record the main mix.  Cool Either way, this is going to be very ghetto.  Laughing

What do you guys think? I plan to go to college for Audio Production, so this I think would be a good thing to do for my career.

Thanks,
Andy

hargerst

Re: Going from Live Sound to Recording, on a budget.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 10:48:06 PM »

There is NO way that you will be able to hold synch on multiple cassette recorders.  BAD IDEA!!  (Interesting approach, but bad.) Rent a couple of 8 track digital recorders that can be tied together.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Benmrx

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 02:51:12 AM »

Don't forget about the old school four track

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAS414MKII

or

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORCR4

you can record on all four tracks simultaniously, but keep in mind to save tracks for bouncing.

then pick up an RNC and go at it.

BTW, you'll probably have some pretty good luck checking the pawn shops for four tracks.  There were also some fun tascam 8 tracks.  I used to use one all the time, the 238 I believe.

t(h)ik

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 03:42:49 AM »

http://www.tascam.com/Products/US-122.html

This thing comes with free Cubase software through some retailers.

You can mix the band live and send it through the USB port in you laptop.

ZACK!

Fertig!

Lemme nough

Tik
I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

SirDonut

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 11:14:14 AM »

AndyCT wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 00:33

I had the idea of setting up an array of casette recorders which would be connected to direct outputs of the mixer. Then to get that into the computer, I could use the mic-in on my laptop, and record each cassette player individually into the computer.

you crazy, man!

coupla questions:

what kind of a mixer are you currently using?

how many tracks are you looking to record simultaneously?

on choosing a recorder: what's more important to you, 'quality of audio' or 'more inputs'?

are you looking to take the project from start to finish (tracking, mixing, and mastering) or just lay down the basic tracks.

sounds like you're on the right track and I can tell you for a fact you're already a hell of a lot more ambitious than me when I was 17.  Cool

stuntbutt

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 11:30:17 AM »

Forget about multitrack for now.  You do some live sound so haul your stuff to where they rehearse and set up your board  in the backyard.  Set up vocal wedges inside for their vocals and your talkback.  Record to whatever medium you have.  I  did this a few times when I was your age. It was great fun.  The reason you want to set up outside is so you can actually hear your mix.  
------------------------------------
John Katsafanas

Buzz

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 01:20:21 PM »

You could get a Roland VS880 for $2-300 8 tracks portable and easy to use

LAter
Buzz

Andy Spalla

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 07:01:45 PM »

Well thanks guys! That was alot of help. I'll check out those 4-track recorders. Maybe I can pick one up cheap on ebay. My casette recorder idea was crazy. Sometimes I get weird ideas in my head which seems good, but you think about it, they suck.  Laughing I think I will just record a single track (main mix.)

Thanks,
Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 19 queries.