R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Australian mixing consoles  (Read 1270 times)

trebor_zaid

Australian mixing consoles
« on: September 18, 2005, 02:23:26 PM »

Can anyone tell me what boards were used during the 80's and 90's in Australian rec. studios? Men at Work, INXS, Midnight Oil, etc. used what? English boards are Soundcraft, A&H, Amek, etc. What were some Aussie board manufacturers if any? Or did they just use UK or Japanese technology? I am curious if anyone knows anything.

Revolution

Re: Australian mixing consoles
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 02:21:37 AM »

Do you want to know what boards these bands recorded on or what boards were used here in Aussie.

Two very different questions in most cases.

trebor_zaid

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 04:23:11 PM »

Both please  Very Happy  With Australia being so isolated, and really near Japan (makers of some good Yamaha boards), what did the Aussie's use?

Thanks so much for your response!!!!

Revolution

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 10:31:58 PM »

I know that Studio 301 in Sydney (one of the majors) installed an Abby Road EMI console in 1973 and their first SSL in 1985.
Im sure from late 80's to now most major studio's here would have SSL or Neve.
Alot of our artists such as INXS and Midnight Oil did albums overseas.
Men at Word recorded at DEX here in Melbourne I think using a Harrison Console.They may still be using it.Im sure they also recorded overseas though.
Most were also Mastered in the states.
It's cool to be Mastered in LA!!!!!!..
Bob Clearmountain mixed Divinals ,Crowded House and Inxs albums also.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 08:33:40 AM »

There were very few Australian board manufacturers either for live or studio applications.

The most notorious - and not in a good way - Australian live board was JANDS. These desks were pub-rock staples until the mid 80's when Soundcraft 200's and 400's started to trickle in. It was almost possible to have a complete JANDS PA...FOH Mixer, amps, crossover, Foldback Mixer, DI's. Just add graphics and speakers (always JBL's), and you're good to go. Frequently, the graphics were MXR, with a DBX compressor on the back end for protection.

It was always the standard joke that JANDS was an acronym for: "Just Another Nasty Distorted Signal"...but as nasty sounding as they were, they were built tough and were hard to kill...and a lot of us learned to mix on them. Rolling Eyes

After a few years with a Jands, I fondly remember my first gig with a Soundcraft 200B.

Cheers,
Tim

"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 18 queries.