R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Otari DTR- DAT recorder  (Read 2591 times)

Keith Taylor

Otari DTR- DAT recorder
« on: August 27, 2005, 06:38:18 AM »

I have owned the Otari DAT recorder since 1996 and it has performed reliably, except on one occasion. While recording a choral group in the middle of summer it did not want to go into the record mode after the interval un till I switched it off for a few minutes. It is now out of action due to a mechanical failure. A die cast arm that moves the roller guides via gears has the tip that follows a spiral groove in a nylon cam broken off. I am still awaiting a reply from Japan on whether a replacement can be obtained. Meanwhile I have tried super glueing  a replacement tip made from a bent 2mm nail to the arm.

It worked fine for about 10 minutes and then came unstuck! Another idea may be to reconstruct the missing tip from car body filler etc and get a die casting company to make a mould from it to to cast a new one. I would be very surprised if mine is the only Otari to suffer this failure, and would be interested in the experiences or comments of other DTR-8 owners/operators/repairers.

Keith

crm0922

Re: Otari DTR- DAT recorder
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 10:44:19 AM »

Digital recording gear has come down in price quite a bit in the last 5 years or so.  Is there not another piece of equipment that you could buy instead that would serve your needs?  Getting parts cast from scratch seems like it could be exceedingly expensive.

Also, if you are prepared to try again with a glue of some kind, you could try an epoxy steel of some kind:

http://www.epoxy.com.pk/steel.htm

There are also many different types of cyanoacrylate glues that might work better than regular store-bought superglue.  Check a hobby store, they usually have a selection of different viscosities, etc.

I'd probably try an epoxy.  You might want to rough up the glue surfaces with some sandpaper if you can do it without making a mess.

Good luck.

Chris

Ronny

Re: Otari DTR- DAT recorder
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 01:35:57 PM »

Epoxy would definitely work better than super glue. They have epoxy that sets up in 5 minutes, if you have to hold the piece until it bonds.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------