Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oktava  (Read 5308 times)

Wyatt Rice

Oktava
« on: August 26, 2005, 03:31:50 PM »

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Oktava MKL- 2500 tube mic on sale now at guitar center for $99.00? http://www.guitarcenter.com/newsletter/getThis/products.cfm? sel=6&eid=14
Thanks, Wyatt Rice

Greg Youngman

Re: Oktava
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 03:41:02 PM »

The 6C31A-P isn't a famliar number to me.  I wonder if it crosses over to some other common number.  If not, how would you get a replacement?
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

canada

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 03:46:11 PM »

Surprised to see them so cheap... the MK012's are great for really acoustic-ey drum overheads... like if you're playing with brusheds and mallets.
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

JamSync

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 08:24:36 PM »

Wyatt Rice wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 20:31

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Oktava MKL- 2500 tube mic on sale now at guitar center for $99.00?  http://www.guitarcenter.com/newsletter/getThis/products.cfm? sel=6&eid=14
Thanks, Wyatt Rice

Oktavas in general are surprisingly good for the price. Beware using them in high humidity, however. They are particularly susceptible to  "woolly problems" resulting from a humid atmosphere.

Seeker-Ian

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 04:55:55 PM »

Guitar Center right now has 012's for 69.99 each. almost as good as the 2 for 99.00 i scored from them last year.

Chris Cavell

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 05:52:22 PM »

It is my understanding that ALL Oktava mics at GC right now are fakes...and have been for months...not just the 012's anymore.

Ronny

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 06:04:39 PM »

Chris Cavell wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 17:52

It is my understanding that ALL Oktava mics at GC right now are fakes...and have been for months...not just the 012's anymore.

I bought 10 MC012/MK012's from GC. They are not fakes. That's kind of like saying hey this mic is a fake, it's not really from China. Now if you said this mic is a fake, it's not really from Germany, it would make more sense to me.  Laughing

There are other rumors that this one may have started from. The main one is that GC doesn't get the matched mics so all of the Octava's sent to them are inferior. Just some crap that came from a small time distributor, who was charging close to the original retail of $250 for each mic bought from him. I tested all 10 mics that I bought from GC and found that although not perfectly matched, they weren't mismatched to the degree that it was audible.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Jeff4h

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 12:41:26 PM »

accordint to the company themselves there are a lot of fakes being sold  here is a link to the info  http://www.oktavausa.com/

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 02:54:52 PM »

Ronny wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 18:04

I bought 10 MC012/MK012's from GC. They are not fakes. That's kind of like saying hey this mic is a fake, it's not really from China. Now if you said this mic is a fake, it's not really from Germany, it would make more sense to me.  Laughing

Fakes as in "not really from Russia".  There's been some kind of trademark/distributing dispute between the original Russian company and the company that was distributing here, and the distribution company has started producing cosmetically-similar "MK-012" models in China.  I haven't had any of the Chinese models to actually compare, though.
http://www.scotthelmke.com/team-downbeat-1.jpg

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 03:35:22 PM »

Since it has

"a special powerblock design  [that]  brightens & adds warmth to any sound source,"

how can you go wrong?  Two for one!

Ronny

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 03:10:10 AM »

Jeff4h wrote on Sat, 01 October 2005 12:41

accordint to the company themselves there are a lot of fakes being sold  here is a link to the info  http://www.oktavausa.com/

Thanks for the heads up Jeff. I haven't bought any Octava's since 2003, so I missed the April 2005 China mic thing.

Seems to me if they were going to rip off a mic company that they'd choose Neumann or Schoeps rather than Octava, but what the hell, the Chinese will clone anything and counterfeit the name. They have no copyright or patent infringement laws.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------