R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alesis HD24XR Data Recovery  (Read 4985 times)

jwhynot

Re: Alesis HD24XR Data Recovery
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 02:32:21 AM »

Quote:

In my own experience, I saw (heard) a Studer A800 put noise on a tape while in repro and record safe. Unfortunately, it tooks about 6 months to track it down. First, we had to figure out it was our machine, then it took a while to figure out which of the 8 A800's was doing and that it was one specific machine. It was basically intermitant static dicharge.

That reminds me of an interesting experience I had with a Mitsubishi X880 (I wonder if PSW will censor that M-word back there)...

I mean, quite apart from the way the machine behaves with a power failure (even if parked, the reels would just dump a big pile of fairly fragile 467 on the floor)...

Anyway we had this one project that was backed up every way from here to Sunday, and the masters were up and playing back for a mix.  Somehow, though, little sections of tracks were suddenly not playing back.  They would just be muted for a little while...  then come back.  Once a section of a track was silent, however, it stayed that way.  Back then I had some hair, and as the assistant on the session I have to say I distinctly remember what hair I had standing up.

Long story short, we discovered that there was a ribbon cable not quite seated in the remote - and that was causing random arming and punching in on various tracks.  The only indication this was happpening was the program material disappearing.

If I remember correctly, the master safe was engaged as well (not absolutely sure there was one on the 880 - but if there was it was engaged).

It took a day to restore the backed-up versions of all these tracks.

And I'm awfully glad I suggested not putting the backups on the same machine until we had figured out the problem.

Doesn't matter what medium you use.  Shit will happen.

There are 2 categories of people in the world - those who have lost data and those who will.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

Brian Roth

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 03:25:35 AM »

What I've been seeing in my tiny part of the world is analog studios have added various HD and DAW systems to their gear list.  But, they aren't following any sort of backup procedures for the hard drives since they never did that for the older analog formats, especially multitracks (no second 2" in the studio!).

Because the analog formats seemed pretty reliable, they are now too complacent.  OTOH, I've had my toes in the small-computer waters for over 20 years now, and can't even begin to count how many hard drive deaths I've seen!

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Ronny

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 10:54:03 AM »

Brian Roth wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 03:25

What I've been seeing in my tiny part of the world is analog studios have added various HD and DAW systems to their gear list.  But, they aren't following any sort of backup procedures for the hard drives since they never did that for the older analog formats, especially multitracks (no second 2" in the studio!).

Because the analog formats seemed pretty reliable, they are now too complacent.  OTOH, I've had my toes in the small-computer waters for over 20 years now, and can't even begin to count how many hard drive deaths I've seen!

Bri

My HD-R's have double drive bays and transfer from one drive to the next is all internal at 3500 mbps, so a gigabyte of multi-tracks only takes 5 minutes. I can store 380 cd-r's worth of tracks on one unit and instantly recall any program, song or track in a matter of 5 seconds . The great thing about dedicated to audio only HD-R's is that the proprietary systems out there don't crash, recording is linear so there is no defragging and the drive to drive direct backup transfers, slave relationship, location points, track names and song titles, everything along with the audio. Can't compare them to a DAW that has non audio programs always running and an OS such as Windows or Apple that wasn't designed solely for audio. The audio dedicated HD-R's win hands down.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------