R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphone Fetish, now the proper use of language  (Read 16284 times)

Barry Hufker

Re: Headphone Fetish, now the proper use of language
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2005, 10:16:55 AM »

Carlos,

I am glad your family is well and pray you and they will continue to be.  After I am at a loss for words.  I can't begin to describe the devastation I've seen on the television nor can I describe the sorrow I feel for those who are in it.

Barry

Gideon

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2005, 10:36:02 PM »

I'm re-hijacking this thread back to the original "Off-Topic."

"Reticent" is not a synonym for "hesitant." Saying, "He was reticent to speak...' is  idiotic.

People who have empathy are "empathic" not "empathetic."

"Irregardless" is not a word, if it were (2nd conditional), it would mean "not regardless."

PS Wouldn't a girl wearing headphones be a good candidate for "Sonic Bukkake?"
Gideon Egger
May Ying Music, Inc.
Hell's Kitchen NYC

I put 4 compressors in series and i got more Milk and Cream and Thick sound out of the audio but why?

-Walters

Barry Hufker

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2005, 10:56:18 PM »

Gideon,

My dictionary says "reticent" is unwilling (3rd. definition).  What do you say it means?

The American Heritage dictionary accepts both empathetic and empathic as correct.

And sonic bukkake is not a fitting thing for anyone let alone our headphone pinup girls!   Smile

Barry

PP

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2005, 03:18:33 AM »

Gideon

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2005, 09:31:59 AM »

Unfortunately, dictionaries are now simply cataloging common usage, rather than giving correct definitions, of words.

Propagation of errors: when mistakes are made with sufficient frequency, they are included as an "alternative" in the dictionary. Let us hope that guides to surgery and pharmacology do not follow the same precedent.

"Reticent" does not mean reluctant, "empathetic" is pathetic, and "irregardless" is moronic, no matter what any dictionary might say.

http://declarationsandexclusions.typepad.com/foolblog/2003/0 8/dictionaries_an.html
Gideon Egger
May Ying Music, Inc.
Hell's Kitchen NYC

I put 4 compressors in series and i got more Milk and Cream and Thick sound out of the audio but why?

-Walters

Barry Hufker

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2005, 02:19:20 PM »

Gideon,

I am sorry but I think you picked a very poor site as a reference.  The writer even misspelled "lexicographer" as "laxicographer."  And if reticent is unwilling to speak and reluctant is unwilling to do something, then essentially the same meaning is had:1) the person was reticent.  2) The person was reluctant to speak.

The Oxford English Dictionary is THE authority on the English language -- without question.

Barry

PP

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2005, 02:50:39 PM »

Gideon

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2005, 03:19:33 PM »

"Laxicographers," was clearly a typo and therefore the fault of the copy editor.

Both the expression "reticent to speak..." and the non-word "irregardless," are pleonastic, and hence wrong.

If the OED has truly chosen to embrace these solecisms (I have yet to see this for myself), then it is, sadly, no longer a valid reference.
Gideon Egger
May Ying Music, Inc.
Hell's Kitchen NYC

-Walters

Barry Hufker

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2005, 03:46:16 PM »

Gideon,

My point about "laxicographer" is that if this source didn't even bother to run a spelling checker (and not a "spell checker" as that must be something that checks spells), then how can this person be trusted about anything?  Obviously not a person paying attention to detail.

As far as pleonastic,seems to me you're making something out of nothing. If flammable and inflammable can be used to mean the same thing when famous and infamous don't then I can certainly forgive a little redundancy.  After all, that is what "very" is.  It is a word used to reinforce the meaning of the sentence.  Things are "true" or not. How can they be "very true?"  Further "very" comes to us from the Latin, "verus," meaning "true."  It's use then with the words true and false then (and I am sure many others, if not all others) would be a redundancy.

So, while the use of reticent bothers you, and you are welcome to that, it doesn't bother me.

SNOTTY COMMENT TO FOLLOW: And if your source of information is this guy who can't check his spelling -- and you're going to compare him to the OED -- then he simply loses hands down.  No serious lexicographer or linguist would go against the OED. And if you're going to reject the OED, then get started writing your own -- and don't start with the laxicographer guy.

Now, an apology for the snide comment.  No offense meant.  I am just being a jerk.

Barry

PP

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2005, 05:21:42 PM »

PP

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2005, 01:57:01 AM »

digibird

Re: OK, this will keep you busy.
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2005, 01:41:45 AM »

Barry[/quote]

I hate people who use the word "orientated" rather than "oriented". Dumb grammar, dumb site.
[/quote]

Or "prostrate" instead of "prostate".
Or "irregardless" instead of "regardless".
Or "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less".
Or "fustrated" instead of "frustrated".

[/quote]

...except that "orientated" is actually a real, viable word choice.  It sounds dead wrong to me, too, but check it out:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=orientated

Barry Hufker

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2005, 01:41:34 PM »

Digibird,

I appreciate the link.  I don't want to get involved in this one because I didn't write what you quoted.  Someone else did!

Barry
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.