R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which master to send to press?  (Read 1292 times)

pete andrews

which master to send to press?
« on: August 22, 2005, 08:16:09 AM »

to those in the know.....

i'm about to send a project out for pressing and i have a couple copies of the master to choose from: the HOT one and the "one notch less than HOT" one. (let's call them the +7 and +6 masters).
+7 sounds alright in most CD players with the exception of one older unit i have in my van on which certain points clip. Other CD players handle it fine.
the question is (i think i know the answer, but...) if this version is blowing away an older, cheap CD player like this - but sounds fine in most others.... this SHOULD NOT be sent as the master for the press plant. correct? better safe than sorry. thoughts on this? anyone see masters do things like this?

thanks for the help.

-pete

Ronny

Re: which master to send to press?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:16:25 PM »

jerkrecords wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 08:16

to those in the know.....

i'm about to send a project out for pressing and i have a couple copies of the master to choose from: the HOT one and the "one notch less than HOT" one. (let's call them the +7 and +6 masters).
+7 sounds alright in most CD players with the exception of one older unit i have in my van on which certain points clip. Other CD players handle it fine.
the question is (i think i know the answer, but...) if this version is blowing away an older, cheap CD player like this - but sounds fine in most others.... this SHOULD NOT be sent as the master for the press plant. correct? better safe than sorry. thoughts on this? anyone see masters do things like this?

thanks for the help.

-pete

Typically it's peak gain and or heavy low end that's going to distort small audio speakers. Let's hope that you meant -6 and -7 masters and are meaning RMS dB's. Because both a +6 or +7dBFs peak cd is going to distort on anything that it plays on. Personally I would much rather go with a 1dB decrease in RMS gain than risk the cd distorting on other peoples car players. Both cd's should be the same peak level and the only + or - 1dB difference should be RMS level, which isn't typically going to have one cd distorting and the other not.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------