R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A trend I've noticed lately  (Read 2985 times)

Ronny

Re: A trend I've noticed lately
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2005, 11:33:11 AM »

AlanS wrote on Sat, 27 August 2005 10:16

Ronny wrote on Sat, 27 August 2005 00:17

so what ya gonna do.

I'll tell ya what they did on the 2005 Grammy Nominees compilation disk.  I bought it on sale at Borders to have as a ref and to see how it was done.   I have many of the artists' original CDs.  Well, it seems they left the hottest tracks exactly the same, and simply turned up the quieter tracks above full scale until the level matched and let 'em clip. I guess politically they had no choice - how you gonna tell Green Day's label you "turned their track down" for the Grammy compilation CD!!  Someone would be reading the help wanted ads real soon.

That can go two ways, Alan. What about the winner of the jazz category who's song was ruined to compete with the insane level of the GD song?

Which would you have preferred, the comp with the hot songs turned down or the comp with the dynamic songs turned up to match the degradation of the hot tunes?
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005, 11:41:08 AM »

Everything on the comp was pop, although some had to be turned up around 2 - 3dB above full scale to match.  Actually, comapring with the original CDs, the diff in sound quality of the 'turned up' tracks wasn't that much vs the original level.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

Ronny

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 11:50:10 AM »

AlanS wrote on Sat, 27 August 2005 11:41

Everything on the comp was pop, although some had to be turned up around 2 - 3dB above full scale to match.  Actually, comapring with the original CDs, the diff in sound quality of the 'turned up' tracks wasn't that much vs the original level.

Not sure that I understand. How does the +3dB above full scale play back without distorting. I've worked on comps where I did bring up the dynamic songs to match the perceived levels of the hot tunes, but all of the songs had the same peak level. I raised RMS on the dynamic tunes to equitize perceived levels across all songs. If I would have tried to match perceived levels by raising peak gain instead of RMS on the dynamic songs, than they would distort from being over -0dBFS. How do you peak gain a tune at +3dBFs and have it play without distortion on a cd player?
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------