R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone care to rip apart my mixes?  (Read 1756 times)

Benmrx

anyone care to rip apart my mixes?
« on: August 20, 2005, 01:13:29 AM »

I'd love to hear some feedback on a few mixes I did recently.  It was during these mixes that I discovered these forums, and got some good advice that I put to some good use.

The 3 songs were recorded in 2 days, and then mixed a little here, a little there for a week or so.  The track "tumble down" was the hardest, having some problems getting the guitars to sit right, and is my least favorite....at least mix wise.

Tracked on 2", mixed off a Digi001 on a Powerbook G4 533, with a Tango24 for the extra outputs onto a soundcraft spirit studio board, mixed down to a masterlink.  No mastering.

I like these mixes, but don't love them.....but I wonder if I'll ever do a mix that I really love.  The band loves the mixes, people have told me it sounds great, but I'd love to hear from some of you with a more discerning ear.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.myspace.com/thebatsofbelfry

TheViking

Re: anyone care to rip apart my mixes?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 09:03:06 AM »

Ripping apart mixes isn't my thing so hopefully this advice is anything but that.   It sounds like you thought through a lot of your approach to the songs and how you wanted to mix them technically.   Is this a new setup for you mix wise?

Intresting sounding band.   The drums sound good.   I would have experimented with some buss compression, especially in the guitars on the track you mentioned.   They seem to have an 'out of control' feel.

'The band loves the mixes' - can any other statement measure more success?   Sounds like you did alright if that's the case.   Good job!

Kevin
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

Benmrx

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »

"  Is this a new setup for you mix wise?"

kind of yeah, for these mixes I used the 8 outs from the tango24 for stems.....1+2 drums, 3 bass, 4+ 5 guitars, 6 misc, 7+8 vox, and used the 8 outs from the 001 to go to my reverbs and delays so I could automate the sends, and used the soundcraft to mix it together, as opposed to mixing all in the box or out of the box.....this was kind of half and half.

"I would have experimented with some buss compression, especially in the guitars on the track you mentioned.   They seem to have an 'out of control' feel"

I wish I had a compressor worthy of that job.  I did do some parrallel compression with some of the guitars in that track using a CAD CGM-2 compressor.

" 'The band loves the mixes' - can any other statement measure more success?"

this is true, but I still know these mixes aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and just looking for some feedback from people that have better ears then I.

brandondrury

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 12:02:23 AM »

Hmm.  Pretty screwed up.  It's terrible and cool at the same time.  I'll have to think about this one.  I think I like it.

I was leary about pausing my Pet Shop Boys megamix, but I think it was worth it.

You did a whole bunch of things completely different than I would have and that's cool.

The only thing that I see as a problem is that guitar.  It sort of hurts at times and sort of fights the song with it's volume.  Surely you could use a plugin comp on it.  I don't give a damn what all these bastards with more outboard compressors than teeth say.  In this case, a crappy plugin would be better than nothing even if some expensive hardware box would be better.

Just my opinion.

Brandon

Benmrx

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 12:18:21 AM »

" The only thing that I see as a problem is that guitar.  It sort of hurts at times and sort of fights the song with it's volume.  Surely you could use a plugin comp on it"

Are you talking about all 3 songs or just "tumble down".  And the guitars are compressed.  Mostly with a CAD CGM-2.....mostly.  

Maybe the guitar is just mixed a bit high?

"Pretty screwed up.  It's terrible and cool at the same time".....lol

Again, all 3 mixes or just one?  curious what you dislike and what you like.  I can handle it Sad

Just trying to get some different perspective, and get out of my bubble.

brandondrury

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 09:11:52 AM »

I turns out that my jack on my computer's soundcard is messed up.  I was listening in mono and to only one side.

Disregard what I said.

If I can get it fixed I'll check you tunes out again.

Brandon

Benmrx

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 04:23:49 PM »

please do.  also, is there a better forum here on the R/E/P to post mixes.  I guess I was hoping more people would have chimed in by now on the goods and bads.

I'm fairly new to these forums, and wanted to post some of my work from my own studio, in a way to sort of introduce myself to those that have been here for a while, so if there's a better place, please let me know.

thanks

j.hall

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 09:09:29 AM »

it's a matter of what audience you are seeking.

if you think the "indie rock" crowd is your home, then this is the place.

if you are after a more "mainstream" audience to play your mixes to, then whatever works, might be a better spot.

you might want to ask first though, i'm not sure they want that sorta thing.

Benmrx

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 02:58:05 PM »

"if you think the "indie rock" crowd is your home, then this is the place"

well, for the most part indie rock is what I listen to.  And I would venture to say thats most of what I record as well, although this stuff seems to lean towards some classic rock styles.

BTW, inde rock or not, I just wanted some good ol' fashioned criticism from fellow engineers and producers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 17 queries.