R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my p.s.a. for the day  (Read 1423 times)

xonlocust

my p.s.a. for the day
« on: August 24, 2005, 05:11:44 PM »

i was listening to this today and i thought, i need to tell everyone how great this record is.  one of those "classic" indie/punk bands everyone should be familiar with IMO.  also striking given the contrast to the bad seeds.

i give you:

the birthday party: live 1982-82

all thier records are great, but this is an awesome start/overview.

if only we got to a point where everyone was ripping off the birthday party instead of gang of four, we'd be in great shape.  Smile speaking of, seen this yet?

pg666

Re: my p.s.a. for the day
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 01:47:20 PM »

Quote:

if only we got to a point where everyone was ripping off the birthday party instead of gang of four, we'd be in great shape.   speaking of, seen this yet?

haha, i love the caption about how timeless Go4 is only to be followed up by RE-RECORDED versions of their old songs..

i wanna go listen to 'Junkyard' now... truly a scary record.

lord

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 08:58:04 AM »

People were already ripping off the Birthday Party in the 80s. Lots of Touch & Go bands, Alt Tentacles acts, etc. would have owed them something if they ever saw a dime from such activity themselves.

I would be OK with this coming back into style.

There's another old live record, "It's Still Living" ... I think it's called. It's silly. The band mixed it as badly as possible as a joke, but the label still released it.

I always thought that their studio records were really well done, in the way that they captured the band's insane energy, but were not embarrassingly lo-fi like a lot of American punk records.

xonlocust

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 09:38:28 AM »

lord wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 07:58

Lots of Touch & Go bands,

the jesus lizard anyone....  Smile but they were my gateway to the birthday party, and one of my all time favorites, so i've got no complaints!

Quote:

I always thought that their studio records were really well done, in the way that they captured the band's insane energy, but were not embarrassingly lo-fi like a lot of American punk records.

yeah, definitely.  the bass on the start 6" gold blade is so huge sounding.  the more i think of it - you're totally right. that's an excellent point re: american punk records of the day.

that's definitely one thing that turned me off early on of some early american punk - now i can go back and get into it, but the brits seemed to be doing a better job back then. maybe they just had more cash to go in the studio.  maybe i'll continue to make rambling generalizations.

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 10:02:44 AM »

they might not have had any more, or any less cash.  they only had one thing we do know.....better engineering in the studio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.