R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Explain (PT vs. Samp)  (Read 11442 times)

dongle

Please Explain (PT vs. Samp)
« on: August 23, 2005, 03:09:51 AM »

Hi guys, i need some help from you guys, this is beyond me. I took a stereo file of a mix, and used the rcomp, linmb then the l3 in protools, then i bounced the file. I did the same thing in Samplitude pro 8 and compared the two, and they were quite different. I know that le is rtas, and i was using Direct X in samplitude, but the i didnt think there would be much this much of a difference, in favour of Samplitude. Should this be the case, do some programs process plugins more effectively than others.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Ged Leitch

Re: Please Explain
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 04:20:20 AM »

dongle wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 08:09

Hi guys, i need some help from you guys, this is beyond me. I took a stereo file of a mix, and used the rcomp, linmb then the l3 in protools, then i bounced the file. I did the same thing in Samplitude pro 8 and compared the two, and they were quite different. I know that le is rtas, and i was using Direct X in samplitude, but the i didnt think there would be much this much of a difference, in favour of Samplitude. Should this be the case, do some programs process plugins more effectively than others.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

it depends on a lot of factors...
were the plugin settings RXACTLY the same on each program?
are you listening to the two wavs through the same monitor system?
did you dither as the last step after L3 (or using its own} if you were giong from a higher bit depth file (24bit for example) to 16 bit?
cheers.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

dongle

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 04:34:16 AM »

Hi Gerald, i saved the settings as presets, remained at the same bit depth saple rate everything the same.Also same room, speakers Both programs are 32 float, Is it possible for certain sequencers to process plugins more effectivly than another, even though they are both processed at the same bit depth.  Thanks guys, I dont know where else to go for this type of info.

Ged Leitch

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 04:38:21 AM »

dongle wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 09:34

Hi Gerald, i saved the settings as presets, remained at the same bit depth saple rate everything the same.Also same room, speakers Both programs are 32 float, Is it possible for certain sequencers to process plugins more effectivly than another, even though they are both processed at the same bit depth.  Thanks guys, I dont know where else to go for this type of info.

thats weird I always thought pro tools was 24 bit.
Anyway I can't really think why the two sound different if their both processed using the same settings other than how efficient either program handles the processing tasks.
sorry man Sad

dongle

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 04:48:56 AM »

No worries, im not 100% about pt being 32 float, i just presumed it was, can anyone confirm, also is there much difference.
Thanks.
Hey Gerald how the compressor windup winding up.

Ged Leitch

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 04:54:11 AM »

dongle wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 09:48

No worries, im not 100% about pt being 32 float, i just presumed it was, can anyone confirm, also is there much difference.
Thanks.
Hey Gerald how the compressor windup winding up.

Not finished it yet but keep an eye out...
im 98% sure p tools is 24 bit but I don't think it would make THAT much of a sonic difference if the setting were all the same, more likely it's how the programs are written and how efficient each is.
Cheers.

bblackwood

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 05:40:04 AM »

Was it PT or Digi001/2?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

dongle

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 05:53:32 AM »

002 rack
Cheers

bblackwood

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 06:01:33 AM »

IIRC, only the TDM rigs are 24 bit (processing at 48 fixed), so the 002 should be 32-float, like Samplitude...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

dongle

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 06:16:39 AM »

bblackwood, Does it sound strange to you that i obtained these results.

bblackwood

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 06:21:34 AM »

Sounds like something's amiss to me - all settings being equal they should sound the same (unless there is some underlying fundamental issue one program has that the other doesn't, but I don't think that's the situation here).

Can you host the two files somewhere (preferably named something like A and B so we don't know which is which) for us to listen to? A 30 sec snippet of each track should suffice and won't be very big...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

dongle

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 06:57:31 AM »

I appreciate the offer but i wont waste any more of your time. if you guys think it doesnt seem normal then it probably caused by me or by my hardware, ive had nothing but probs with my 002 since day 1 its been sent back 2 times within 6 months, and it takes 5 weeks each time i send it away to get it back, my bloody m-box has been more reliable, the second time, the dealer who i bought it off gave me a loan 002, only cause ive spent so much money there and hes afraid of losing my business, and it was solid as hell. The guy at the store who is a digi rep said the 002's have been quite flawless,but he actually told me that there was a slightly defective batch that were sent out to be sold knowing that they werent up too scratch. Which is great when youve just paid 2grand aus for 1 and its stuffed from the get go, I took it back and they say, sorry digidesign policy, no refund, no exchange, and we dont have any spare for you to take in the mean time.  but i was basically after a (yeah Samplitude has a reputation of being a lot more stable an so forth), or the answers you guys have given, which leads me to believe, either, a=im the prob, or b=my system, ill do a norton ghost clean up the pc fresh install, things like that conduct the test with m-box, and 002, see what happens. I got an error during playback the other day in Pt which ive never seen before, which had something to do with inaccurate clock source, I know that aint good, and i havnt done anything out of the ordinary to achieve this. but like i said just hearing what you guys had to say about it is enough to ensure me that the difference should not be noticable. Also im embarrassed for you pros to here my own work. I think a daw shootout is in order. Anyone interested, ill do my bit, but thanks for your time guys. After performing somemore tests ill see what happens. Is anyone interested in a Daw comparison of some sort, i know it could be difficult, but i think it would be worth while to put these rigs through the ropes, mixdown a song through various daw with same plugins and so fourth i could do an le test with m-box and 002, that is if you trust my 002. Cause im a bit tired of heresay when it comes to the performance of these system against each other, like hd vs levs nuendo vs cubase vs sequoia and so on. Sorry for the long post, and thanks again for your replies.

OTR-jkl

Re: Please Explain (PT vs. Samp)
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 08:15:53 AM »

Did you try a null test to make sure that they really are different and you're not just imagining it...? (It does happen, ya know...)
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

dongle

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 08:31:00 AM »

Nah, i didnt need to cause the difference was too obvious. But ill do some soon, with different songs. I have to make sure my gear or drivers are not conflicting with either pt's or samplitudes performance, too get to the bottom of this.
Thanks Man

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 09:02:33 AM »

How exactly are you listening to the bounced files?

Samplitude dithers the reduction to the drivers while PT LE doesn't. Did you try disabling Samp's dither and just use the L3?

I use both every day and haven't noticed that much of a difference but this is only when I'm carefully comparing apples to apples. One difference has been that Samp's PowR 3 dither occasionally seems a bit brighter than PTle's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 19 queries.