R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: One thing i missed today..  (Read 3904 times)

Bob Boyd

Re: One thing i missed today..
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 07:24:19 PM »

Interesting idea on the knobs.  Along those same lines, I think less gear can be a plus sometimes.  I know we (me included) can be prone to a grass-is-greener gear acquisition mentality but I feel like keeping it to a few good pieces is a better way to go on the whole.  

IMHO, I feel like things have been sounding solid coming out of the room and I'm working faster than ever - probably 2 to 4 songs an hour.

One thing I've been wanting to mention on the board - the little Sontec 250EX has been an amazing compliment to the studio - rotary knobs and all! Smile  
In my book, the 250 is probably the EQ to get under 3k.  

Going up to a 482 at some point is the only thing I'm looking at right now.

Well... and a new Mac.

and a new desk.

Dang.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

cerberus

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 08:35:08 PM »

rotary faders do not require as
much looking. so i think they
are much better for listeners.

jeff dinces

bblackwood

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 11:46:44 PM »

I'd humbly suggest there are many, many more common factors involved with the old records we love than rotary faders...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

tom eaton

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »

I don't know, Brad.  Never seen a fader on a good sounding amp.  And all those Beatles pictures are full of knobs.  I'd be willing to bet that Pink Floyd records were made with knobs whilst Steely Dan records were made with faders.  Large knobs also tend to have a pleasant diffusion effect due to the rounded caps.  Faders, as we all know, tend to have concave finger surfaces, the worst for those critical console early reflections.  And then there's the dirt issue, no open tracks with knobs.  It goes on and on.

The thing I can't figure out is this.  When my console faders are being controlled by the automation there is a toothed wheel which moves a continuous toothed rubber band that holds the fader and wraps around a pulley at the other end of the fader travel.  Now, the fader travel is linear, no doubt, but the mechanical motion which drives it is circumferential.  So, does it sounds good or not?

Damn this stuff confuses the heck out of me.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 05:29:31 PM »

Early PF Records on the TG12345 I'm sure with Painton faders, aviation industry stuff, I think, kinda knob/fader hybrid though, wrist rotation again.

bab

tom eaton

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »

I always wondered why I liked the some of the sounds on those records and not others.  Mystery solved!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.