R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: fiona apple's new record  (Read 14287 times)

rankus

Re: fiona apple's new record
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2005, 07:15:18 PM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 11:14

Perhaps Canadians can luxuriate in their art with their social welfare and universal health-care, but below the 49th baby, art is truly a luxury.

Bahahahaha!   My "free universal health-care" costs me $54.00 a month, and if I want to have my eyes checked (tomorrow) it's $65.00 ....  If I want to have an operation chances are pretty good that I will die on the waiting list... it can take months to years to get in for elective surgery,,,... (And even if I could pay to have it done privately that's illegal, unless your a hockey player or politician)

And you can only get welfare if your a friggin junkie or "refugee"....

Sorry.  Just had to vent... things in Canada may look good from the other side of the fence, but our politicians are just as corrupt as the rest of the world... We never see any of that social stuff you hear about...

"Art" is just as painfull up here...
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2005, 09:55:23 AM »

go hear her new record here

http://www.myspace.com/fionaapple

Daniel Farris

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2005, 10:21:28 AM »

Quote:

I can't say a bad thing about Andy Slater.

I agree he's done very well for the bands he's managed or produced.

Mind you, I've only met the guy two or three times, but he single handedly ended the career of a very good band I've worked extensively with... while simultaneously ensuring that more than a million dollars of Capitol's money was wasted.

And didn't he produce "When the Pawn"? How did that record sell?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2005, 12:13:50 PM »

Jon Brion produced "When the Pawn".  

Please, do tell your Slater story.  I'm curious.

BTW, the story with Kanye is that Jon's tracks have indeed made the record, and he is prominently featured in a VH1 special about the making of the album.  I'm happy for him.  As I originally said about the union, I think having somebody with some hit making instincts oversee Jon's ecclectic nature is the perfect scenario for him, and I hope he finally has a hit record.  

However, apparently the single is not produced by Jon, and the whole "it wasn't black enough" thing that Kanye said inly applied to the single.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Daniel Farris

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2005, 08:47:31 PM »

Quote:

Jon Brion produced "When the Pawn".

Oh yeah. Oops. I knew that. Sorry.

Quote:

Please, do tell your Slater story. I'm curious.

As much as I'd like to, I probably shouldn't.

Maybe I'll hop over to the Velvet Rope and whine about it there.

danickstr

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2005, 10:13:29 PM »

the creepy carnivale is not really working for me, but I do love that gal.  I fell in lust with her after her "cwiminal" and now that I hear she's into poop, I am kinda nervous but not in a bad way. Cool

she would rock even if any of you produced her....HAH. (jk) I am sure many of you would do a great job.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

mitgong

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2005, 03:12:39 PM »

SO.  After weeks of reading about the differences between the Brion vs. Elizondo productions of the new Fiona Apple records, I'd finally come around to the general public consensus that JB is a time-waster falling back on his old tricks.

And then I actually heard both versions.  It's the difference between liking Fiona Apple or not.  I heard the Elizondo first, and thought:  "she's actually pretty boring, isn't she?".  Then I heard the Jon Brion, and thought:  "She's a fucking genius!".

And it's not just the calliope music!  She actually sounds more interested and challenged as a singer on the JB version.
My name is Matthew Saccuccimorano.  I should be working, but I'm posting this message instead.  I deserve punishment.

j.hall

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2005, 11:05:23 AM »

mitgong wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 14:12

And it's not just the calliope music!  She actually sounds more interested and challenged as a singer on the JB version.

agreed!!!

canada

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2005, 01:16:13 AM »

Just spent a week of spinning Extraordinary Machine pretty heavily... better than the unofficial version imo.  I've done a couple shootouts at this point... I want to say I like what Jon Brion did at least in theory, but the songs just sound more powerful to me on the official cuts.  Got tickets to see her at the Orpheum in Boston soon after watching the DVD that came with the release.  What an amazing singer, I can't recall ever hearing a bunk note out of her, ever.  The live disc really underscores that.

But don't tell me I'm a corporate lapdog, I'd much rather expound on the merits of US Maple or Crust than talk about Andy Slater production techniques...
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

J.J. Blair

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2005, 03:38:01 PM »

What upsets me about this record is that Brian Kehew is not getting his due for his production contribution, either in the press or on the liner notes (from what I understand).  This record would not have come out in 2005 at all, let alone sounded the way it did if not for Brian.  Fiona was very unimpressed with the demos that Elizondo made and was not going to act on them.  There's a real David v. Goliath story regarding the whole producer situation, but I'd rather that somebody else tell the story.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Fibes

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2005, 12:08:44 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 15:38

There's a real David v. Goliath story regarding the whole producer situation, but I'd rather that somebody else tell the story.

I have a few thoughts of my own but I'm still thinking a lot of the stuff is just slight retouches of the Brion stuff.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2005, 05:09:13 PM »

interesting...  this record just can't seem to avoid controversy, no matter which version of it we're talking about..............

Tidewater

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2005, 11:27:18 AM »

I think all the oddity captured with V1 of this record, was concentrated Fiona. I don't think it gets more Fiona than that.

I loved the first record, didn't know there was a second one, and I wish they'd have just released ExMa v1, and let the public decide if it was a buy.

I think it was. I love it. Favorite_recent_anything.

Anyone still not heard the v1 in total? it's great.

(not to dis v2, only heard 2 tracks.. sounds good too)

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

canada

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2005, 02:49:49 AM »

Just saw her show at Orpheum in Boston tonight.  I am a total convert.  She is the most amazing thing of all time.  That is all /salute
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

TheCurmudgeon

« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2005, 05:06:32 PM »

Just heard the commercial release of Ex. Machine.

Very disturbing.

I am baffled, or perhaps scared, by comments here.

The new version is an almost textbook example of a "forced" sounding performance.  Accents are screwed up.  Where the original version swings, the new version sounds stiff. Rhythmically it's so bad I can't listen to it, it's basically ruined my Christmas thinking about how someone can take a swinging song and try to force it to a straight beat!  Not to mention removing the unique things about it that made it so immediately fresh sounding.  More challenging than the standard MTV/Clear Channel fodder, but still catchy and memorable.

Oddball things abound: sounds are gated off that once had a great vibe to them, melodies are glued on, things absent that were originally very novel and memorable.  The characteristic calliope/circus thing people complain about - yeah, it sounds different, so what?  It's truely great.  In place it sounds like things are tracked in that are meant to be quirky and novel, but aren't.  There's a difference, Brion knows that difference, I'm sorry but I don't think Elizondo does.  I don't blame him, he was probably charged with trying to make it different enough to avoid Brion's legal angle, but this is so sad.

The Brion version had such charm, and her vocal performance sat in the groove perfectly, and most importantly ergonomically.  The new version sounds like someone edited her voice out and stuck it over some off the shelf loops!  Where the original breathed structurally the new one sounds spastic, like they thought they absolutely had to put in MTV-esque drama where it wasn't needed.   No subtlety, just wal-mart rococco.

Devoid of charm and character.  Eviscerated of true performance.

I hate, hate , hate this, because I see this as a triumph of the know-nothings over the talented.  It is beyond me how anyone can listen to the new version and think it's good, much less better than the original!  I know of so many people who have been listening to the original for a long time now, who are baffled as to why it wasn't released.  People wonder why the industry suffers - it's for things like this.  It's so amazing that people fail to see that you can't predict the record buying public's whimsy.  Thinking like this would have kept things like Sgt.Pepper, Dark Side of the Moon, Pet Sounds, Are You Experienced, distorted guitar and close-miced drums from having been heard.  The suits know more about music than the artist or the public!

I'm sorry to rant, but this has almost ruined my Christmas having just heard it last night.  Apologies to Elizondo, but I'm sure he made enough from it to not care about anonymous driveby criticism.  I don't know how much Brion spent on making the original, but it's wonderful and it's a shame at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.