R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: fiona apple's new record  (Read 14277 times)

Fibes

Re: fiona apple's new record
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2005, 03:36:19 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 15:19

who invited fibes to this party anyway?

Your narcissistic ass faced twin.

I'm liking the Brion stuff more and more, i can hear the polyester of the string section moving in unison with the tape hiss.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2005, 04:11:33 PM »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 14:36

Your narcissistic ass faced twin.

i knew you invited yourself......PARTY CRASHER!!!!!!!!!

Fibes

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2005, 06:32:23 PM »

Crashes are exciting. Invitations are for those in need of validation of their parking.

I'm not into poop.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

canada

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2005, 07:04:21 PM »

The bootleg tracks that I heard a year or so ago were devoid of catchy melodies and sounded very "look at me, I'm playing a Brian Wilson chord!" for no apparent reason other than to sound brainy.  Looking forward to hearing the finished album, though, as I am a fan.
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

canada

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2005, 07:14:45 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 21:05

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Why are you laughing?  Kurt Cobain was just as money-driven as most wannabe rock stars... Didn't you ever hear the stories about him dressing in a suit  (!!!) and driving to LA to try and impress record execs with his album?  Or anything about the production of Nevermind, with the drum triggers and production tricks?

Maybe I misread you though.
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

drumsound

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2005, 11:46:04 AM »

canada wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 18:04

The bootleg tracks that I heard a year or so ago were devoid of catchy melodies and sounded very "look at me, I'm playing a Brian Wilson chord!" for no apparent reason other than to sound brainy.  Looking forward to hearing the finished album, though, as I am a fan.

Really?  I "found" the whole record and I find a lot of it catchy.  "Window" "Please Please Please" "Extrodinary Machine" and "Not About Love" all stick with me.

canada

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2005, 01:09:55 PM »

Well, I suspect that if she had sat at a piano by herself without the incredibly accomplished-sounding drummer and the creepy organ grinder crap it would've tickled my ears a bit more.  I'm still really looking forward to hearing the finished product.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2005, 01:40:32 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 16:46

It's just my personal taste taht I like the Slater production more.

I heard a good "Slater" story lately. Seems he was producing an artist in the studio latelly and working on what they hoped would be the single. During a break he suggested they shoot the video in Tuscany. To which the artist replied, "Don't I pay for that?" Talk about wasting artists money. The artist is no longer with Capitol Records.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2005, 02:14:13 PM »

[quote title=canada wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 17:14]
Kurt Cobain was just as money-driven as most wannabe rock stars...
/quote]

Well the way I see it, had Kurt not been so 'motivated' his songs would not still be with us even though he is not. I've worked with hundreds of artists and the only ones doing if for arts sake had day jobs or trust funds. Perhaps Canadians can luxuriate in their art with their social welfare and universal healthcare, but below the 49th baby, art is truly a luxury.

And dont get all "what would you know about Canada" on me, I was born and raised there, made records there and now live in the US. It really is different here, I'm not saying its better, it just is. Michael Moore touches on this in his brave film Fairenheight 911. Sincerly, bab.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »

Quote:

I heard a good "Slater" story lately. Seems he was producing an artist in the studio latelly and working on what they hoped would be the single. During a break he suggested they shoot the video in Tuscany. To which the artist replied, "Don't I pay for that?" Talk about wasting artists money. The artist is no longer with Capitol Records.

I can't say a bad thing about Andy Slater.  He did more for the Wallflowers than you would believe when those guys sucked and had a first record that NOBODY bought.  He stuck by them and did a great job for them.  He discovered Fiona, signed her to his label, and never took a management fee.  (And managing Fiona is no picnic, either.)  Andy has done very right by her, and every artist he has produced or managed.  He also manages to run one of the only profitable labels in town, and has a roster of great new acts that most major labels wouldn't understand.  

I think blowhard's story is suspect, because anybody who knows the first thing about label contracts would know that you can't just up and leave a label because somebody suggests something outrageous.  (BTW, videos are only 50% recoupable, and the artist didn't have to agree to any video they don't want to make.)  

If this artist isn't on the label, it's because they were dropped.  Cute story, but meaningless.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

canada

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2005, 11:27:32 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 19:14

the only ones doing if for arts sake had day jobs or trust funds. Perhaps Canadians can luxuriate in their art with their social welfare and universal healthcare, but below the 49th baby, art is truly a luxury.

And dont get all "what would you know about Canada" on me, I was born and raised there

I wasn't knocking him for being money-driven, look where his hard work got him!  Hmm, although he's not exactly the best example!

Also, I'm not from Canada.

Cheers!

j.hall

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2005, 08:48:23 AM »

ok, i finally got to hear the entire jon brion record.

i have to some what agree with JJ, i can see why the label wanted no part of this record.

however, i love it for all it's eccentrisities.  it doesn't "circusie" to me at all.  which, "when the pawn..." sort of does in many places.

i'm really interested in hearing the differences between the two records.

the string arrangements are SICK.

xonlocust

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2005, 09:45:57 AM »

the guy can't seem to catch a break - i was real excited to hear his work on the new kanye record, but he even got pulled from that. from LA times article.

Quote:

"They thought it was too white," West said, sitting in a room at Chalice Recording Studios Hollywood last weekend. (He uses "white" referring to pop music and "black" for R&B and hip-hop.) "Others thought the sample was too corny, and I had to listen to them. Mainly, I realized I may be going too fast in trying to open new dimensions in hip-hop. I needed to take one step at a time if I wanted to bring my audience with me."

West returned to the studio and threw out four tracks from the CD he had been working on in L.A. for months with pop producer Jon Brion, who produced Apple's second album. They replaced them with tracks that West describes as more "black." (He's saving the "discards" for his next album, which he's already titled "Graduation Day.")

J.J. Blair

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2005, 10:26:07 AM »

Wow.  I was hoping that he would catch a break with Kanye.  I don't know what's up with that.  Jon is capable of being extremely funky.    We used to do a jam every Saturday, years ago when we lived together.  I'd bring my clavinet, and he would play shit that could have given Max Middleton a run for his money.  Also, there was a time when he had his Optigan, Mellotron and Chamberlain hooked up and as a joke started doing a hip hop type thing on those, and it killed.  I'll never forget it.

This goes to the heart of what I was criticizing Jon for.  He's really capable of so much, that it's sickening.  I could go on with stories about that.  However, he seems obsessed with making this goddamn calliope music, and is his own worst enemy when it comes to success.  I really wish he'd get over it and show eveybody how even more brilliant he is.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2005, 02:40:20 AM »

Yeah, thats some sickening calliope.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.