R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: fiona apple's new record  (Read 14270 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: fiona apple's new record
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2005, 11:36:12 AM »

I called you vampires?  Huh?  Fuck you guys, anyway.  I hate you all.   Very Happy

Jimmy, 20,000 units is certified linoleum.  Great for an indie, but a disaster for a major.  At 200,000 units, on a small budget major label release, you haven't even halfway recouped.  

BTW, don't get me wrong.  I'm all for changing the status quo and knocking the majors on their fat, bloated asses.  I'd like Clear Channel to die a miserable death so we can go back to the way FM radio was in the '70s, and you could hear a whole album side of Fiona, followed by literally anything else they felt like playing.  However, I'm simply trying to point the realistic responsibilties that go along with working for a major label.  Because the truth is that you are working for both the artist AND the label.  The label can fire you too, and it's their money being spent that the artist has to pay back.  And it's just my personal opinion that Jon could do a better job of making the music just as cool, but more accessible to the people who just don't get this, if he only tried.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Fibes

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2005, 11:43:21 AM »

lord wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 11:13

j.hall wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 08:53

like usual J.J.  i always like disagreeing with you cause it stays professional and respectful.  

Except for that part where you called us vampires!

That avatar of yours looks a bit pale bro.

I like the new song and the old ones. I want a full copy of the old album and i'll buy two new ones to make up for the theft.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

lord

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2005, 11:44:14 AM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 22:37

arguing the merits of making records for the mass market's consumption in this particular forum, to this forum's readership, is like telling a group of vampires that the sun is cool and something they ought to "take in"

Fibes

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2005, 11:47:13 AM »

Lord,

get some sun will ya'? Lookin' at you is blinding.

In extraordinary machine does she say she likes poop?
Fibes
The Studio

jimmyjazz

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2005, 11:56:09 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 11:36

Jimmy, 20,000 units is certified linoleum. Great for an indie, but a disaster for a major

But that's the sales in Austin only.  

Sure, maybe the Austin record-buying public might be a bit more adventurous than that of most cities, but it's not like this is a huge metropolitan area.  Can you imagine what would happen if the other 49 or so bigger markets also had a station like KGSR that heavily promoted artists like Patti Griffin, Bob Schneider, Ryan Adams, Kelly Willis, etc.?  That 20K might be 500K . . . or more.

j.hall

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2005, 12:05:17 PM »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 10:43

I like the new song and the old ones. I want a full copy of the old album and i'll buy two new ones to make up for the theft.

agreed......i want the old one as well, as previously mentioned.....if someone on here has it, please let me know how i can get it from you.

J.J.  i guess my "not so established point" was.... major label type ethics, work habits, concepts, etc....  are really out of place in this forum.

while showing us the responsiblity a producer has to the mainstream marketability of a record is cool and all, it only throws fuel on the "indie rock" fire that most all of us, down here in the seedy underbelly of the music business, burn on a daily basis.

CCC

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2005, 12:45:06 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 16:36

I called you vampires?  Huh?  

Not only that, but you use omnis as overheads, apparently.

Fibes

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2005, 12:51:48 PM »

Y'all are talking semantics and although i see both sides the holes that are getting poked at are patched on the personality/inflection level.

Indy does not mean anti-hero and commercially viable does not mean artless.

Is the Oh Sailor track on myspace a remixed version with merely less strings and overcompressed drums? I ask this from a vague and horribly codeced to death perspective.

Check out my "label" thread on the WW forum. It was delivered in a dream from the syndicate.
Fibes
The Studio

drumsound

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2005, 01:01:09 PM »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 11:51

Y'all are talking semantics and although i see both sides the holes that are getting poked at are patched on the personality/inflection level.

Indy does not mean anti-hero and commercially viable does not mean artless.

Is the Oh Sailor track on myspace a remixed version with merely less strings and overcompressed drums? I ask this from a vague and horribly codeced to death perspective.

Check out my "label" thread on the WW forum. It was delivered in a dream from the syndicate.

It's a different recording.  The drums for sure are not the same.  The part itself is different.

And I do think she says "I'm into Poop..."

John Ivan

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2005, 01:03:27 PM »

John Sorensen wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 11:45

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 16:36

I called you vampires?  Huh?  

Not only that, but you use omnis as overheads, apparently.

That's funny :-}, ,How these threads start to mesh together. This place is crazy!!

I'm one of those guy's who thinks the kids buy what they are told to buy and nothing more. It's a lot like their food. All this record marketing/targeting seems to start when they are around 10 or 12 years old and it keeps rollin' till their about 20 or so..

There are ways to change what their listening to. First, we need criminal trials for the folks running the labels and publishing companies. This ,of course, would be felony charges.. :-},{can't make the smileys work.}

Really though, if the right folks worked this problem, we could be listening to great stuff.. At first, kid's are a bit reluctant to jump on the band wagon but, a little shame can do the trick,, { come on duuude!! you don't dig this??}

I really do think it's a matter of the wrong people selling to our kids.. Look at the food they eat.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

lord

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2005, 01:19:32 PM »

If you took the original version of 'Exraordinary Machine' and pitch-shifted Fiona's voice down 3 octaves, the track wouldn't be out of place on a Tom Waits record.

Quite a bizarre accomplishment, if you ask me.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2005, 01:24:19 PM »

BTW, I'm making a record with a guy right now who has the demos for Extraoridary Machine that Jon and Fiona did, all recorded on the Pet Sounds console.  I'll make a point of copying .... errrr, I mean listening to them at some point.  (I'll start the bidding at $20.)  <jk>
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

CCC

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2005, 01:41:52 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 18:24

BTW, I'm making a record with a guy right now who has the demos for Extraoridary Machine that Jon and Fiona did, all recorded on the Pet Sounds console.  I'll make a point of copying .... errrr, I mean listening to them at some point.  (I'll start the bidding at $20.)  <jk>

The Pet Sounds console? Where the hell is it, and who owns it?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2005, 02:27:59 PM »

I have to ask.  I wish I had read this before my friend split a minute ago.  I'll have an answer for you tomorrow unless he calls me later today.
studio info

j.hall

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2005, 03:19:30 PM »

who invited fibes to this party anyway?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.