R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best way to make a copy of a Master CD?  (Read 8687 times)

sunflute

What's the best way to make a copy of a Master CD?
« on: August 14, 2005, 05:50:46 PM »

Hello Everyone,

This may be an incredibly simple question....but,

A friend of mine brought me a copy of her mastered CD and wants to have a exact copy of it before she sends it in for duplication. (The reason for this, is that she almost lost her master CD when Europa Disk went bankrupt) Now she wants to make sure she has a back-up copy no matter what.

What's the best way to make an exact copy?

I work on the PC, and work with Samplitude, CD Architect and Sound Forge.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Peace
Marco

PS She doesn't want to go back to whoever mastered it in the first place.

bblackwood

Re: What's the best way to make a copy of a Master CD?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 05:55:23 PM »

I'd create an image file using ExactAudioCopy.

You can get it free here...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ged Leitch

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 06:15:38 PM »

Yep, best to create an image file.
If using CD architect then use extract audio at 1x speed and also extract subcodes.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

sunflute

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 11:51:21 PM »

Thank you so much Gentlemen,

Peace
Marco

jazzius

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 12:40:21 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 22:55

I'd create an image file using ExactAudioCopy.

You can get it free here...

Can you change the ISRC codes with EAC?.....

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 03:13:00 AM »

is there a cue sheet with the disc, that shows CD Text, ISRC codes, and UPC code?

Are they imbedded with the image? Would you add those during the new burn?

Should you extract the audio on the same burner, or a Plex?

What bit depth on the extraction? What about the burn speed?

Stereo Interleaved or Dual Mono? WAV, AIFF, or SD2 formats?

Will the two discs sound identical ? what if they don't ?

Do you leave the pre-gaps alone? are there any offsets,  index markers?

Do you apply any dither on the new burn? what type ?

Should you use the same media as the master? what if it's a black memorex.

Do you proof the disc, run it thru Plextools for QC?

Do CDs spin the other direction in Australia?

There are questions, many questions, some valid, some not, some rhetorical, can you sort them out?

Just havin' a little fun tonight  !

Peace Bro... Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Chris Cavell

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 06:50:23 AM »

Quote:

Thanks JT, I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that this morning. Laughing

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 12:47:18 PM »

Chris Cavell wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 06:50

Quote:

Thanks JT, I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that this morning. Laughing

Yes, that was the best post of the day, JT.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

OTR-jkl

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 02:53:23 PM »

OK; ya'll are gonna think I'm crazy, but...

...considering my recent past experience with Loadback issues (see this thread, I decided to extract the audio off of my Crane Song Dither CD using EAC thinking I could get the information off of it more accurately than when I did it before I had EAC.

I put the newly extracted dither up on another track in the EDL of a current project and A/B'd the two dither tracks mixing with a song file. I could actually hear a difference - and I liked it with the "EAC dither" better. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I bounced the tune to 2 different files - each one using a different dither track - and then placed those 2 new files on a new EDL and did a null check. They didn't - to the tune of about -52.0 dbFs peak.

Well, then I wondered if it was different because of EAC (better extraction) or simply because the 2 dithers were starting at different points relative to the beginning of its file (make sense?). (Zooming in on the dither track shows different waveforms at the same time reference.) So, to really tell I needed to line the dithers up as closely as possible - which I was able to do easily. I re-ran the null test and this time they DID null.

The point:
I thought this was going to be another kudo for EAC, but as it turns out, its more about CS Dither than EAC. Apparently, it makes a difference where you start CS Dither - I have no technical idea why. Kinda-sorta-not-really-in-a-way makes sense though since its a definitive waveform. Scary part is that you have no way of knowing how any given tune would change with movement of the dither along the timeline (so how do you know when the song is sounding its absolute best?). I guess you have to start it at the beginning for every song (instead of just letting it "roll").

Speaking of roll...  Rolling Eyes

(I'm really not sitting over here freaking out about dither...really......)   Rolling Eyes

However, I will still use EAC for all of my Loadbacks.

(Sorry for the hijack...)
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

jackthebear

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 03:50:37 PM »

Chris Cavell wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 20:50

Quote:

,sreehC

.rednals dna pissog  luof lla s'ti gniyas yb htym eht llepsid em tel.......ailartsuA ni sdrawkcab gneib sgniht lla tuoba yas yam srehto tahw etipseD
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Chris Cavell

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 04:34:49 PM »

Laughing

Ronny

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 05:10:08 PM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 14:53

OK; ya'll are gonna think I'm crazy, but...

...considering my recent past experience with Loadback issues (see this thread, I decided to extract the audio off of my Crane Song Dither CD using EAC thinking I could get the information off of it more accurately than when I did it before I had EAC.

I put the newly extracted dither up on another track in the EDL of a current project and A/B'd the two dither tracks mixing with a song file. I could actually hear a difference - and I liked it with the "EAC dither" better. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I bounced the tune to 2 different files - each one using a different dither track - and then placed those 2 new files on a new EDL and did a null check. They didn't - to the tune of about -52.0 dbFs peak.

Well, then I wondered if it was different because of EAC (better extraction) or simply because the 2 dithers were starting at different points relative to the beginning of its file (make sense?). (Zooming in on the dither track shows different waveforms at the same time reference.) So, to really tell I needed to line the dithers up as closely as possible - which I was able to do easily. I re-ran the null test and this time they DID null.

The point:
I thought this was going to be another kudo for EAC, but as it turns out, its more about CS Dither than EAC. Apparently, it makes a difference where you start CS Dither - I have no technical idea why. Kinda-sorta-not-really-in-a-way makes sense though since its a definitive waveform. Scary part is that you have no way of knowing how any given tune would change with movement of the dither along the timeline (so how do you know when the song is sounding its absolute best?). I guess you have to start it at the beginning for every song (instead of just letting it "roll").

Speaking of roll...  Rolling Eyes

(I'm really not sitting over here freaking out about dither...really......)   Rolling Eyes

However, I will still use EAC for all of my Loadbacks.

(Sorry for the hijack...)

If two exact examples aren't time aligned down to the sample, you aren't going to get a null, amplitude must start at the same timeline spot on both. You should null at least down to -92dB when null testing dither on final 16 bit. There are some other problems with some DAW progs, for example if you load in one stereo track and copy from that one, than invert the original, the second one inverts as well and you will get a +6dB boost when mixing them together quite the opposite of a null even when sample for sample accurate, if your DAW does that, instead of copying and pasting the second file, load it in twice.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------