R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dithering?  (Read 7926 times)

Barry Hufker

Re: Dithering?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 11:50:01 AM »

Dither *is* applied to the 24 bit signal, but I believe the only chance to hear it is after it has been applied and you are now listening to the 16 bit signal.

It is true, UV22 is akin to the bias signal of a tape recorder rather than the noise (shaped or not) called dither.  But in direct comparisons I've tried, its effects are also audible.

"Noise shaping" does not push the noise into frequencies we can't hear.  Take a look at the attached paper.  You can see there is an increase in dither noise that is in the clearly audible region.  This is true for POW-R2, L1-Ultramaximizer, L2.  By comparison, POW-R3 is in a category of its own!

So, not only is noise shaped dither in the audible band, but the extra energy is some reasons exaggerates frequencies.  As I said before, POW-R2 caused extreme sibilance in the recording I just completed.

After much study, I believe I am with Brad.  I am arriving at the conclusion that plain old TPDF is best.

Trivia: I read up on dither.  It comes from the British.  Bombsights, being built during WWII, were found to be more accurate in the air than they were on the ground.  The shaking of the bomber(dither)evened out innacuracies and made the sight better!

Ronny

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 12:12:38 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 11:42

Barry Hufker wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 14:00

Here are a couple of interesting pages:
http://audio.rightmark.org/lukin/dither/#samples

and

http://www.24-96.net/dither/

These particular examples are a fairly useless way to judge the effectiveness of the dithers because:
1) in the first case because they are 16 to 12bit conversions
2) in the second case because they are the dither noise alone just gain staged substantially up.

Both of these examples do not represent a real world test for judging:
1) "effectiveness" at smoothing apparent distortion from quantization errors at the 16bit level
2) "transparency" of the dither

the second test only allows you to judge:
3) "pleasantness" of the audible noise the dither imparts

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Good observations Steve. What we need is a blind dither test, performed by folks such as on this forum, where dither is applied at the real world level that we use it at. The test would have no influence from manufacturers that are testing other dithers and comparing it with their own. Apogee's dither examples are extremely misleading as I've analysed their examples and the output gains on the music examples are not the same, they apply dither to the 9th bit, so that you can hear the noise mixed in with the audio, that again tells us nothing, because we aren't using dither to increase noise in the signal, we are using it to eliminate audible artifacts that are a consequence of quantizing errors.

I'm still waiting to hear some physical reason as to how adding noise at the half bit of the 24th LSB, changes tones and dynamics on the final bit depth playback. I can only hear the differences between no dither and dither and only when I turn up a fade out or verb tail on the last note of a song, I can't hear truncation artifacts when the audio is above -40dB or so. I can't hear the difference between POW-R, UV22, IDR or even Cool Edit dithers when I apply them myself to material that I'm familiar with and compare the examples. I'm not saying that dither manufacturers are all trying to dupe us, but I'm quite certain that most of the dither types these days do an effective job and do not change tones anymore than one cd-r brand versus another does. Let's leave out opinions based on euphonics or the human ear for now, I just want to know how dither can alter frequencies. If I could hear the different dithers or at least the effects of the different brands, I'd still want to know why this is so and how it works.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

bblackwood

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 12:29:13 PM »

Ronny wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 10:22

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 08:19

Ronny wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 00:20

I hate to bring this up again, but the people that say that one TPDF dither sounds better than another TPDF dither, what exactly does it sound like?

Is POW-R TPDF?

The Weiss POW-R unit offers four dither types POW-R1, R2, R3 and flat TPDF.

Yes, but where are people saying "one TPDF dither sounds better than another TPDF dither"?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And when the dither is noise shaped into the inaudible frequencies, please explain the physical reasons why you hear it at all, much less a difference.

Curious, you don't hear any diff between UV-22 and POW-R?

Which type is that Brad, POW-R1 has a curve that is very simliar to UV22, which BTW, Apogee doesn't call it dither noise. Also the reason why they call it 22 is because it's supposed to be noise shaped above the human hearing range.

OK, so you claim to not hear the difference between UV-22 and POW-R1?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

None of my dither blind tests support claims that people can hear dither when it's applied at the 24th least significant bit.

Err, who said anything about dithering to 24?

I don't know about where you apply dither, but when I apply it to reduce word from 24 to 16 bit it is applied at the half bit of the 24 bit signal, dither won't do a damn bit of good if you apply it to 16 bit "after the truncation" because quantization distortion from the reduction where it is needed remains.

I'm fairly certain you apply the dither at a level to toggle the LSB of the resulting wordlength, in this case the 16th bit...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Barry Hufker

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2005, 12:44:19 PM »

Call me crazy, but if the human ear can pick up extremely small amounts of jitter at extremely low levels, why can't we hear the effects of the dither?  That's not impossible.  And to me it is the same as adjusting an EQ.  I had no bias when I listened to the three types of POW-R.

Ronny, use POW-R on something you know well.  Don't listen for the noise, listen for any timbral changes.  Tell me what you hear!

Barry

And oh by the way, The Town Halo, apparently this thread is no longer about you.  It is about *us*!  But I am glad you've found an answer on your own to your question!!

Ged Leitch

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2005, 01:19:08 PM »

Ronny wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 17:12.

I'm not saying that dither manufacturers are all trying to dupe us, but I'm quite certain that most of the dither types these days do an effective job and do not change tones anymore than one cd-r brand versus another does. Let's leave out opinions based on euphonics or the human ear for now, I just want to know how dither can alter frequencies. If I could hear the different dithers or at least the effects of the different brands, I'd still want to know why this is so and how it works.

The fact that certain users CAN hear the difference means something!!!
I myself when going from 24 bit to 16 bit with POW-R i cannot hear any difference.But thats what i WANT to hear, i.e least amount of signal change possible!!!
Sometimes when I've done a few blind tests I think i can hear differences, then sometimes I can't.It's one of those things that will go on and on.
As for scientific evidence well even if there were none to explain the differences it doe'snt change the fact that SOME people notice the difference.
Until a mass study is conducted as to why dithers can affect audio and others don't all we can do is speculate.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Ronny

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2005, 01:41:48 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 12:29

Yes, but where are people saying "one TPDF dither sounds better than another TPDF dither"?

Let me rephrase that to say one dither brand versus another, although both brands may be using TPDF.

Quote:

OK, so you claim to not hear the difference between UV-22 and POW-R1?

It's been awhile since I've used either and my I have to admit my testing wasn't complete just some quick observations with me and some friends, but no I don't remember hearing any differences. That's also why I'd like to see an evaluation test done by people that aren't selling their own types of dither. Adminstrated by someone who isn't going to be involved in profitting or losing profit from the results and used real world as Steve touched base on.

Quote:

I'm fairly certain you apply the dither at a level to toggle the LSB of the resulting wordlength, in this case the 16th bit...

As I mentioned dither is applied before the quantizer, if you applied it at the 16 bit, wouldn't the noise cover the dynamic range between -144 and -96dB? Although I've seen 2 LSB dither in the olden days, TPDF for example has a SNR loss of about 4.8dB. When I run dither with no audio playing at 24 bit, I can see the noise decibel level is at -141.4dB on Digichecks RMS +3dB meter. After the quantization the noise is still there but it's at the LSB of 16 bit and below -90dB. I can't hear -90dB at my normal monitoring levels. I'd still like to know how dither tonally or physically effects any frequency that is above -90dB on the final 16 bit file. I don't doubt that people hear it and I might also, if I took a more time to set up some tests that elimnate all factors but the dither applied to the music as we normally use it. Anyhoo, I haven't noticed where the difference between say POW-R3 and IDR are significant to the material that I work on.    
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------