R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dithering?  (Read 7923 times)

The Town Halo

Dithering?
« on: August 13, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »

I'm currently recording vinyl from my MBOX into my Mac at 32-bit. What option will give me the best sound? Dithering to 16-bit in DSP Quattro, or Roxio Jam?

Barry Hufker

Re: Dithering?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 09:38:09 PM »

Pardon me if my tone is rude, as I don't mean it to be.  But I'd be surprised if you are actually recording your vinyl into your Mac at 32 bits.  There are no 32 bit A/D converters, not without sophisticated and expensive bit ranging.  I am sure your Mbox is 24 bits and your Quattro program is *processing* at 32 bits.  Even with a 24 bit converter, typical signal to noise is really on the order of 17 or 18 bits.

Having said that, your Quattro file is greater than 16 bits.  I am not sure which program has the better dither.  Of course the question is, not only which has "better" dither but which type of dither do you want to hear?  There are many types of dither and then different types of noise shaping (if you want that at all).

I would suggest you dither your audio both ways (through both programs) and listen to which sounds better to you.

Barry

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »

The Town Halo wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 20:12

I'm currently recording vinyl from my MBOX into my Mac at 32-bit. What option will give me the best sound? Dithering to 16-bit in DSP Quattro, or Roxio Jam?

do either of these have POW-r dither ? That works for me on 24 to 16 bit reduction.

Wasn't Mr. Weiss involved in the development of POW-r?
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 09:44:21 PM »

Everything is TPDF here, but hey, I'm practically deaf, right?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

dcollins

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 10:03:18 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 18:44

I'm practically deaf, right?

Is that like legally blind?

DC

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 11:58:06 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 21:38

Pardon me if my tone is rude, as I don't mean it to be.  But I'd be surprised if you are actually recording your vinyl into your Mac at 32 bits.  There are no 32 bit A/D converters, not without sophisticated and expensive bit ranging.  I am sure your Mbox is 24 bits and your Quattro program is *processing* at 32 bits.  Even with a 24 bit converter, typical signal to noise is really on the order of 17 or 18 bits.

Having said that, your Quattro file is greater than 16 bits.  I am not sure which program has the better dither.  Of course the question is, not only which has "better" dither but which type of dither do you want to hear?  There are many types of dither and then different types of noise shaping (if you want that at all).

I would suggest you dither your audio both ways (through both programs) and listen to which sounds better to you.

Barry

What exactly does dither sound like when it's applied to the LSB of 24 bit?
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

The Town Halo

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 12:39:44 AM »

I'm very pleased with the final product when using DSP Quattro's "Excellent" setting when dithering in the batch processor. I can hear a slight improvement over Roxio's Jam dithering.....not much, but enough.....

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 01:20:23 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 21:41

The Town Halo wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 20:12

do either of these have POW-r dither ? That works for me on 24 to 16 bit reduction.

Wasn't Mr. Weiss involved in the development of POW-r?

Daniel is one fourth of the POW-R Consortium, along with Dave McGrath from Lake, John La Grou from Millenia and Glenn Zelniker from Z-sys.

I hate to bring this up again, but the people that say that one TPDF dither sounds better than another TPDF dither, what exactly does it sound like? And when the dither is noise shaped into the inaudible frequencies, please explain the physical reasons why you hear it at all, much less a difference. None of my dither blind tests support claims that people can hear dither when it's applied at the 24th least significant bit. The only time that I can hear differences in dither is when I play it without audio and raise gain by +50dB, the noise sounds different at these levels, but with music we apply dither to the half bit, on 24 bit material it's at -141.5dB, I'm really baffled as to how anyone can hear this. I would love to hear some logical explanations, until I do I have to put people making these claims in the same boat as people that say that gold wire sounds better than copper and brass speaker footies make cymbals sparkle. How do you know that It's not all in the mind? When can I hear people reporting physical reasons based on scientific facts and not on subjective opinions?
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Barry Hufker

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 07:56:28 AM »

I just completed a vocal jazz disc.  And while I'll admit Ronny that I don't hear the dither 24 bits down, I can easily hear the *effects* of the dither -- at least when it comes to POW-Rs implementation in Peak (by BIAS, Inc.).

POW-R3 made the disc indistinct and veiled sounding.  Everything was under a thin (but very noticeable) blanket.

POW-R2 made the vocals extremely sibilant.

POW-R1 was *just* right --- oh!  for a moment I thought I was telling the story of Goldilocks and the 3 bears!

So, I believe one can hear various "flavors" of dither.

Barry

bblackwood

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 08:19:46 AM »

Ronny wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 00:20

I hate to bring this up again, but the people that say that one TPDF dither sounds better than another TPDF dither, what exactly does it sound like?

Is POW-R TPDF?

Quote:

And when the dither is noise shaped into the inaudible frequencies, please explain the physical reasons why you hear it at all, much less a difference.

Curious, you don't hear any diff between UV-22 and POW-R?

Quote:

None of my dither blind tests support claims that people can hear dither when it's applied at the 24th least significant bit.

Err, who said anything about dithering to 24?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Chris Cavell

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 08:50:23 AM »

Quote:

The differences b/w these two are like night and day on my setup.

Just about any other comparison requires a certain higher level of concentration and attention on my part to really make out the subtle differences...but b/w the UV-22 and any implimentation of Pow-R is extremely noticeable.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 09:00:14 AM »

Here are a couple of interesting pages:
http://audio.rightmark.org/lukin/dither/#samples

and

http://www.24-96.net/dither/

I happen to think Alexey's dither is a great improvement over POW-R.

Barry

Yeah -- and how come *I* didn't catch that "dither applied at 24 bits" thing?!

Ronny

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 11:22:03 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 08:19

Ronny wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 00:20

I hate to bring this up again, but the people that say that one TPDF dither sounds better than another TPDF dither, what exactly does it sound like?

Is POW-R TPDF?

The Weiss POW-R unit offers four dither types POW-R1, R2, R3 and flat TPDF.

Quote:

Quote:

And when the dither is noise shaped into the inaudible frequencies, please explain the physical reasons why you hear it at all, much less a difference.

Which type is that Brad, POW-R1 has a curve that is very simliar to UV22, which BTW, Apogee doesn't call it dither noise. Also the reason why they call it 22 is because it's supposed to be noise shaped above the human hearing range.

Quote:

Quote:

None of my dither blind tests support claims that people can hear dither when it's applied at the 24th least significant bit.

Err, who said anything about dithering to 24?

I don't know about where you apply dither, but when I apply it to reduce word from 24 to 16 bit it is applied at the half bit of the 24 bit signal, dither won't do a damn bit of good if you apply it to 16 bit "after the truncation" because quantization distortion from the reduction where it is needed remains.