R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 32 bit floating vs 64 bit fixed and sound quality?  (Read 6983 times)

trock

32 bit floating vs 64 bit fixed and sound quality?
« on: August 13, 2005, 02:05:15 PM »

Hi All

I have been reading some of the posts here and fingding alot of interesting info. one thing i am curious about is this

I used to use Cubase SX 3 on a MAC G5 and before that a roland 2480. i am only a home hobbyst with this stuff, no school etc, so my technical knowledge is limited. although i read alot of forums Smile

anyway, i now use SAW Studio on a PC and it is written in 64 bit fixed? to me, it has a better, deeper, richer sound than my cubase got me. however i have been told this is not possible and that SAW is just another DAW.

So is 32 bit floating different in the end than a 64 bit fixed program?

can someone tell me if i am just hearing something i am supposedly not?? does how it is written have anything to do with sound quality? i am using the same guitars, i am the same vocalist, in the same room. i did swap an avalon M5 for an API 512 pre but that is about the extent of the changes. and i got rid of a UAD-1 studio pak and WAVES bundle for just some stock SAW plugs now for my verbs, comp, EQ, etc. so to most it seems i "downgraded" my plug quality.

anyway i was just curious. thanks much

Ronny

Re: 32 bit floating vs 64 bit fixed and sound quality?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 02:31:49 PM »

trock wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 14:05

Hi All

I have been reading some of the posts here and fingding alot of interesting info. one thing i am curious about is this

I used to use Cubase SX 3 on a MAC G5 and before that a roland 2480. i am only a home hobbyst with this stuff, no school etc, so my technical knowledge is limited. although i read alot of forums Smile

anyway, i now use SAW Studio on a PC and it is written in 64 bit fixed? to me, it has a better, deeper, richer sound than my cubase got me. however i have been told this is not possible and that SAW is just another DAW.

So is 32 bit floating different in the end than a 64 bit fixed program?

can someone tell me if i am just hearing something i am supposedly not?? does how it is written have anything to do with sound quality? i am using the same guitars, i am the same vocalist, in the same room. i did swap an avalon M5 for an API 512 pre but that is about the extent of the changes. and i got rid of a UAD-1 studio pak and WAVES bundle for just some stock SAW plugs now for my verbs, comp, EQ, etc. so to most it seems i "downgraded" my plug quality.

anyway i was just curious. thanks much

You have too many altered factors to determine if the sonic change is only from the increase to 64 bit. You'd really have to A/B raw tracks, recorded through the same mics, pre's and played back through the same DAC's. I can't tell any difference between my 32, 48 or 64 bit processors. I have a TC reverb that processes at 32 or 64 bit and I can't hear any difference when A/B'ing those two different depths on the same processor. Be sure to keep your mind open and realize that the weakest point in any non-blind audible evaluation is the auditory cortex.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

trock

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:55:20 PM »

thanks ronny

yeah i figured since it was def A/B it was a worthless comparison. i think since SAW works better for me as an envirnment and all the other factors that come with that package that i like may be influencing me vs the steinberg experience (comapny) i have had etc??

who knows

i was just wondering about the math and if it made a difference?

thanks

Ronny

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 07:33:01 PM »

trock wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 16:55

thanks ronny

yeah i figured since it was def A/B it was a worthless comparison. i think since SAW works better for me as an envirnment and all the other factors that come with that package that i like may be influencing me vs the steinberg experience (comapny) i have had etc??

who knows

i was just wondering about the math and if it made a difference?

thanks

Well you do have more calculations available with higher bit depths, thus making some processes more accurate, however I haven't found the difference to be audible on my gear. It's like we have to reach a point somewhere along the line where increasing bit depth isn't going to show any audible improvement. Like taking a staircase with 10 steps, cutting them in half to make 20, they both still get you to the top, the end product is the same. Do we really need to take twice as many steps, there's twice as much energy expended to get to the final landing and when we are thrown off our typical pace. My digi consoles mix busses operate at 32 bit, the internal eq's have a 56 bit accumulator, they don't sound any different than my older consoles that had the 44 bit accumulators, so I'm not convinced that going above 48 bit makes much difference on the end product.  
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

trock

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 09:12:25 PM »

makes sense

that is about the best description i have read by the way

and i meant to say since they were NOT accurate A/B comparisons, sorry to confuse there

anyway, thanks for the help and answers!

now i need to stop thinking about binary math and thin about some music Rolling Eyes

Ralf Kleemann

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 10:51:27 AM »

There are several lenghty threads in the R/E/P forums about this... in a nutshell, the differences between 32 bit floating and higher bit depths are rather minute, but become a little more apparent whenever the DAW is doing something reasonably complex. This can be something simple like summing a 20 track mix to a stereo sum. Personally, I've done a comparison between summing in the 32 bit (floating) domain and an external 80 bit (fixed) mixer, and while I believe to hear a difference, it is almost imperceptible for my ears.

Best regards, Ralf

trock

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 05:28:54 PM »

Hi ralf

thanks for that, cool you did that test. i honestly thought i heard a noticeable difference in quality but it could have actually been a bunch of things, not the least of which was my frame of mine with SX 2 on OSX and all the issues i was having.

anyway, interesting stuff for sure.

cgc

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 06:43:09 PM »

I just took a look at the plugin API for SAWStudio (some nasty stuff), and it states that the app internally uses 32 bit integers.  They say that you can convert the ints to floats and process that way, but that is a really bad idea if you want decent performance.

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 07:49:57 AM »

Just thinking through it I have to think that 64 bit fixed would provide more accuracy than 32 bit float over the course of a mix, but the difference would probably be pretty negligable depending on what was happening and how it all was implemented.

Nika
"Digital Audio Explained" now available on sale.

Click above for sample chapter, table of contents, and more.

Ronny

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 02:07:52 PM »

Nika Aldrich wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 07:49

Just thinking through it I have to think that 64 bit fixed would provide more accuracy than 32 bit float over the course of a mix, but the difference would probably be pretty negligable depending on what was happening and how it all was implemented.

Nika

Fixed int 64 bit would allow double precision 128 bit, but you've hit the nail on the head, processing versus audible differences. No doubt that there is more precision with 64 bit, but sonically little difference if the processes are printed. Stability wise running real time, it seems that 64 bit will lessen the amount of tracks, it will certainly double archive space if you stay at 64, if nothing else. There are some pretty good reasons for not recording over 24 bit that D Lavry has written about, I wonder when we'll reach the point of no return with processing at higher rez, maybe we already have.