R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: An FRM compressor even j. hall can love?  (Read 5388 times)

ricknroll

An FRM compressor even j. hall can love?
« on: August 09, 2005, 10:37:36 AM »

Going back to the old compressors-on-the-cheap thread from yesteryear, I just got an FMR RNLA and am really digging it.  I know j. hall is not a fan of the RNC, but I think he should check out the RNLA - it's cheap and it definitely has a sound (and a sound that is good).

-Rick

j.hall

Re: An FRM compressor even j. hall can love?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 02:11:35 PM »

yeah, this marks the second time in a few weeks i've been told to check that thing out.

i better get a demo or something.

what are you using it for?

right now, i'm in desparate need for a guitar buss compressor.  LA-3's have always been my first choice for compressing electric distorted guitars.

xonlocust

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 05:06:09 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 13:11

right now, i'm in desparate need for a guitar buss compressor.

so dramatic j! Smile

ricknroll

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 07:18:25 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 11:11

yeah, this marks the second time in a few weeks i've been told to check that thing out.

i better get a demo or something.

what are you using it for?

right now, i'm in desparate need for a guitar buss compressor.  LA-3's have always been my first choice for compressing electric distorted guitars.

So far just drums but I like what it does to them better than the RNC.  I remember you posted that you thought the RNC sounded sterile, and compared to the RNLA it does sound that way to me.  I'll have to try it on guitar next.  What's wrong with your LA-3s?

-Rick

drumsound

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:09:17 AM »

Joe Meek SC2.2 on the guitar parallel has been floating my boat lately.

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »

ricknroll wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 18:18

What's wrong with your LA-3s?

the only thing wrong with them is that i don't own any.

recently i've been doing big thick rock mixes, and it's hard to balance out the whole mix without some decent buss comps.

i've got the drums and vocals all taken care of, but the guitars are still lacking a few dB of good compression.  i'm not looking for major crushing, just a little compression to help the guitars sit better.

Beezoboy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 08:21:25 AM »

Yeah I just got a JoeMeek C2 and it is nice for the job as well, its a little hissy though. It creates a nice thickening in the low mids when on the parallel buss. I thought the Ashly's sounded pretty good on the guitar buss too. I am going to try my ART Pro VLA this weekend, I used it on guitar for a live show the other day and it sound excellent. It was more of an overdriven "dirt" guitar though.

Beez

ricknroll

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 12:30:34 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 05:07

i've got the drums and vocals all taken care of, but the guitars are still lacking a few dB of good compression.  i'm not looking for major crushing, just a little compression to help the guitars sit better.

So far, the RNLA is pretty interesting...when I don't push it to extremes, it doesn't have as much of a compressed sound as the RNC, although it is compressing (err, "leveling").  But when I push it hard, it does a crazy distortion thing, but in a unique way.  To make a bad analogy, it's like shaking up a can of soda, opening it and spraying the audio - it has a fizzy sound when really cranked.  I know they're pretty new, but as soon as you can borrow one from a friend, go for it.

-Rick

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 01:47:22 PM »

i'd be happy with hearing a thick rock track with out the RNLA, then a version with the RNLA on just the guitar buss compressing about 2 - 3dB

that would tell me a bit about it right there.

ricknroll

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 08:26:55 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 10:47

i'd be happy with hearing a thick rock track with out the RNLA, then a version with the RNLA on just the guitar buss compressing about 2 - 3dB

I'll see what I can wrangle up this weekend.  Can you throw out a few song titles that would have a "thick rock track" sound, similar to what you're looking for?

-Rick

Joel Hamilton

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 11:10:28 PM »

What about the westrek LA1? I thought you had one of those....?.....

I LOVE that box for heavy gtr stuff, and the joe meek, and the Glensound.... The glensound is really great, and the "bread box" which is a freaky thing me and a pal came up with, two channels, 1U, totally crazy. It is better for room mics, as we got into this insane variable impedance on the output thingy.... Basically a FET limiter, with variable impedance output, Xformer balanced I/O (cheap ones, so they give up sooner), and a couple of opto choices (stolen from the white finger EH pedal compressor, which is great as well). The "bread box" is pretty amazing for gtr buss stuff though as well....

I have heard that this new FMR thingy is kind of interesting, but I already have an RNC that I have had for ages, and I dont need another low ender like that....

http://www.vsa.cape.com/~twreck

http://www.studiogbrooklyn.com
( have worked with: Elvis Costello,Tom Waits, Unsane, Frank Black, Ludacris, Sparklehorse.... and more....)

drumsound

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 11:20:18 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 07:07

ricknroll wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 18:18

What's wrong with your LA-3s?

the only thing wrong with them is that i don't own any.

recently i've been doing big thick rock mixes, and it's hard to balance out the whole mix without some decent buss comps.

Mike told me he has parts for two but only one is comitted...

j.hall

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 08:40:20 AM »

ricknroll wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 19:26

j.hall wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 10:47

I'll see what I can wrangle up this weekend.  Can you throw out a few song titles that would have a "thick rock track" sound, similar to what you're looking for?

-Rick

Urgency

Medic

joel, i don't own an LA-1 i've just used the ones he has at westend quite a bit.

i have a PCB for a Fred Forssell stereo opto limiter that i need to find time to build.

pete andrews

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 09:21:01 AM »

is that mending point and sides of the north?
they're friends of mine. thats funny. kevin tracked those? you mixed? correct?

i'll give a listen later and make obnoxious comments.

-pete

j.hall

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 09:24:46 AM »

that's what it is.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.