R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first instincts  (Read 1521 times)

aivoryuk

first instincts
« on: August 08, 2005, 03:26:20 PM »

i'm starting to find that when mastering it's my first attempt (particulary for EQ)that i will use for the end product.
if i spend too much time on something trying different techniques i tend to lose the spirit

is this the same for anyone else??
is this good or bad???

zetterstroem

Re: first instincts
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 04:02:52 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 21:26

i'm starting to find that when mastering it's my first attempt (particulary for EQ)that i will use for the end product.
if i spend too much time on something trying different techniques i tend to lose the spirit

is this the same for anyone else?? yes
is this good or bad??? good

sometimes when i eq alot i find myself working AWAY from the "goal" and just take out more and more of the music from the signal...... that's why the KISS principle was invented.... (Keep It Simple Stupid)  
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 05:36:52 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 14:26

Yes.

Quote:

is this good or bad???

I think it's a good thing - it shows your natural instincts are generally the best thing for the track.

This is where experience really comes in to play - at some point, you are confident enough in your 'first instincts' to know when you've done what needs to be done (or done what can be done) to a track without having to experiment...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ronny

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 05:46:42 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 15:26

is this good or bad???

After you get some experience, you'll be able to play the tune, recogonize what eq tweak it needs or not, perform it and move on.

Is is good or bad that it takes you a long time to dial in the eq on some tunes? Neither in one case, it takes time to develop the ears so that you'll instantly recognize what eq tweaks something needs and the only way to get to that point is to practice eq'ing again and again until the you master the process. Whether or not it's bad or good also depends on your level of experience, if you were engineering for 30 years and take an hour to eq each song, that wouldn't be so good. If you are at the point where you have to eq experimentally until you arrive at satisfaction because you haven't developed the ears to immediately hear what frequencies need to be addressed, well it's a good thing, "if you remember your mistakes and learn by them".  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------