R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You got horns?  (Read 1906 times)

Andy Simpson

You got horns?
« on: August 04, 2005, 10:59:09 AM »

Just a quick pole.

Who is (still) using horn-loaded monitors, and what kind?

Andy

PS, can anyone point me to a good resource on the acoustic properties of the horn?

JGreenslade

Re: You got horns?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 01:31:47 PM »

andy_simpson wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 15:59

Just a quick pole.

Is that a Freudian slip?  Laughing

Quote:

Who is (still) using horn-loaded monitors, and what kind?

Andy

PS, can anyone point me to a good resource on the acoustic properties of the horn?

I can direct you Here for advice on getting the horn  Razz

I'm sorry...

I'll see if I can find the other links I have, try this one for starters: http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/loudspeaker.html

BTW, The attached horn resides in the living-room of an associate!

edit: Some horny info here: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?s=13605e30355d 6dc2f85eb282e51539ee&p=808442#post808442

edit: This is the link I was looking for: http://www.tpub.com/neets/book11/46b.htm (A truly wonderful site btw, check the other articles!)

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

Andy Simpson

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 05:48:38 PM »

Many thanks Justin!

Having read these texts, I am now wondering at the 'waveguide' or lense part of the thing.....since it apparently deals with the wavefront shape and it's transformation from spherical to planar.....?

Any further info from anybody would be great!

Cheers.

Andy

PS, that IS one hell of a horn!

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 08:48:31 PM »

There is a guy here in Lansing building GREAT sounding Mains out of TAD drivers. {I think?}. There is a Horn "lens" made of wood in this rig. They really do sound great.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Andy Simpson

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 05:18:53 AM »

ivan40 wrote on Fri, 05 August 2005 01:48

There is a guy here in Lansing building GREAT sounding Mains out of TAD drivers. {I think?}. There is a Horn "lens" made of wood in this rig. They really do sound great.

Got any details you could share with the group?
A website or email address or something would be great.....

Smile

Could you describe what they sounded like?

Andy

JGreenslade

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 05:50:47 AM »

Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

John Ivan

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 04:12:11 PM »

andy_simpson wrote on Fri, 05 August 2005 04:18

ivan40 wrote on Fri, 05 August 2005 01:48

Got any details you could share with the group?
A website or email address or something would be great.....

Smile

Could you describe what they sounded like?

Andy

Here is a link to Glenn's site. He's a great guy who has been at it a long time.

http://www.gbp-studio-acoustics.com/index.html

I listened only briefly but my impression was that they are FLAT and the mid-range sounds just wonderful. I listened to some of his work and we were just shootin' the breeze about audio, bands,guitar amps and stuff. Then we put on some of my mixes and I heard things I have NEVER heard before. It was pretty cool. I want to re-mix all my stuff there :-}.

Really a nice guy,keepin' it real.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 05:12:25 AM »

If you're talking "compression drivers"... yeah, the new and improved "Methods and Applications Laboratory" is going to have UREI 813A's for monitors [with the 839 crossover].  

If you know how to couple them properly to the front wall [which I do] and you have a good idea of how to power them and tune them [which I do] then they're great sounding speakers... they just got a bad rap in the 80's from studios that had jackasses put them in the wall that had no business being anywhere near control room design nor speaker installation.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

J.J. Blair

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »

My soffit speakers, JBL Olympus S7Rs have horns and lenses.  However, I always use my Genelecs for mixing.  My soffit speakers are for when the A&R guy shows up or when the band wants to hear it really loud.  Which reminds me, I need to get Coco in here to tune them, again.  They are way the fuck out.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

thedoc

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 10:22:13 AM »

"I need to get Coco in here to tune them, again. "

Whaddya using for room EQ, Mr. J?
Doc

J.J. Blair

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 01:00:40 PM »

White 4400s crossed over (can't remember at which freq) with the lows going to a Yahama 2700, and the uppers going to Manley 35 watt monoblocks, and crossed over with the JBL passive x-overs and split to the bullet and the horn.  That's the extent of my technical knowledge when it comes to the things.

And Fletcher mentioned something to me, so I thought I'd clarify.  I personally don't use mine for anything other than the above mentioned reasons.  That is just for personal taste.  I'm not prescribing that for anybody else.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Andy Simpson

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 08:27:30 AM »

Thanks for the great links and info guys.

That is some huge horns! Would I be right in thinking that those 6ft horns are full range? Wow. I gotta get me some of them....

I am still looking for some comprehensive information about the acoustic lense and how it's used with the horn.

---

JJ, do you notice any difference in imaging between the genelecs and the horn mains?

Andy

J.J. Blair

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 09:31:24 AM »

Well, the sweet spot is definitely more narrow, but I'm not sure that the imaging is as significantly different, although it is in fact different.  My horns are a very old design, so I don't know if I'd make any conclusions about the technology based on my speakers.  However, JBL's design allegedly hasn't changed that much in the 35 years since my drivers were made.
studio info

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.