R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timeline Lynx I Timecode Module Docs  (Read 35919 times)

arconaut

Re: Timeline Lynx I Timecode Module Docs
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »

And the thread comes alive again (maybe):

I was futzing with this over the summer, but it wasn’t pressing at the time, so I moved on to other things. Now I am back at it. I'm so close, yet so far away…

Here's where things stand:

Two Lynx I modules, both running software version V500-26L

Digi Sync box with TC in and out connected to Lynx's TC Gen and Read ports. These connections seem fine.

Studer 827 with i/o of tk 24 going to TC gen and Rdr of other Lynx. Again, this is confirmed to work. 827 isn't using a TC channel, just using the normal "audio" pathways.

Blackburst feeding into the Pro Tools' Lynx, then daisy chaining out of that unit into Video Ref of second (827) unit.

I beeped out my cable, going by the "Studer B" diagram. I note what Alan mentioned above, but it looks to me that the rehearse connection on the cable diagram is consistent with what is listed in the 827 manual - that is, pin 6. It's on the Lynx side where it looks funny - the diagram saying the Studer's rehearse pin connects to the Lynx's pin #12. Yet the Lynx manual lists pin 12 as being "Warning o/c out." Maybe I should try lifting this connection?

The other pin I wonder about is #25 on the Lynx side - the Studer diagram shows this connection as "play tally" but on the Lynx it says "reserved."

Nowhere on my Lynx document showing "pin designation" do I see a pin for "rehearse" or for "play tally" (though I do see "record tally").

I say I feel close because when I put the 827's Lynx online, the machine goes into "external varispeed." Also, it reads timecode just fine and also reads Tach. That all seems to work. I can't locate to a sync point. And most importantly, when I put it all online, the 827 does not chase.

Tools is master, so PT Lynx is online, selected as master with ref set to VSO. Put 827 Lynx online, I hear the machine click, as thought it's going to cooperate. Roll tools and nothing. I see timecode in the PT Lynx, but no love on the 827 Lynx.

I've tried all of the 827 software settings - Parallel low and high, Serial low and high. In serial, it tells me "serial err 1, serial err 2" and "tape out." But I believe it should be set to parallel anyway, which just doesn't react to the master rolling at all.

I'm looking at the "jumper array" section of the 827 manual, but nothing is jumping out at me.

I can't tell if I just need to connect one more dot or shake up the entire Etch-A-Sketch of the setup. I realize this is pretty specific, but maybe there's somebody who can spot where I am failing.
You Are Number Six

arconaut

Re: Timeline Lynx I Timecode Module Docs
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind if this thread turns into a bit of my blog on my trails with the Lynx and the Studer. I don't mind looking inept if it helps somebody else in the future.

Here is the latest... It seems to be working! I kept changing settings, beeping out my cable, going in circles. I'm talking to a tech friend of mine who says, "it sounds like one of your modules is broken." I never even thought to go there, when there are so many unknowns I tend to assume it's something I'm (not) doing.

So I swap the Lynx modules - the one I'd been using for Pro Tools is now hooked to the Studer. Now it locates to a sync point, it chases.. it locks!

This is good. Some things remain - first is to figure out if the Lynx module that is "broken" is reliable enough to use for ProTools, ie just the part that drives the tape machine is faulty.

Also, since PT is a code-only master, I thought you set it to resolve to VSO, but I have black-burst going in and it did work when set to External Video - but the "resolve" light blinked, and it was solid when set to VSO.

Third is to get this all happening in consort with Machine Control driving the SSL automation (which already works as it's own "system").

Good progress.

You Are Number Six
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.