R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AAC or MP3?  (Read 1500 times)

NelsonL

AAC or MP3?
« on: August 03, 2005, 02:35:36 PM »

I bought a new iBook and I'm setting the defaults--

Main reason for using a codec is that I want to get more tunes on our iPod mini.

What makes more sense, AAC or MP3? I know they both suck somewhat, but at 192k I'm willing to live with the artifacts when I'm mobile.

Thoughts?

lord

Re: AAC or MP3?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 02:40:21 PM »

I think 192k AAC is about as good as anything's ever going to sound coming out of iPod earbuds. I would only use mp3 if you cared about compatibility with older mp3 players, or sharing the files with someone without an iPod.

NelsonL

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 02:46:31 PM »

Nope and nope, thanks Lord.

On a side note, we'll see if I have the stones to hit the town with my tracking headphones on. Probably not, they're insanely bright Sony's anyway.

spankenstein

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 12:37:58 AM »

VBR mp3.

I always encode with a 320 top and a 128 bottom. It works VERY well with a LAME based encoder. I don't like AAC because it's tied to iTunes and iPod and that's it. I've got 2 DVD player, 2 car  stereos, a small USB mp3 player and every computer in the world (within reason for performance metrics) that can play mp3s.

I have seen so many bad outcomes from vendor lock-in, like the poor insurance processing company that had all of their print processing running on Interactive Unix (owned at different times by Microsoft, SCO and Sun) had been written by one guy who had passed away and they needed to upgrade some hardware and make some printing changes.

Closed formats (like AAC) are just plain bad. Even Microsoft is starting to open up their standards (XML based office format). The propietary game is what keeps Macs firmly in the < 3% of computers in the market.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.