R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vinyl Pre-Master Format  (Read 2198 times)

Adler

Vinyl Pre-Master Format
« on: August 02, 2005, 07:35:02 PM »

Hello all,

I am getting ready to have some tracks I mixed pressed on vinyl.  The tracks are being mastered elsewhere (not at the vinyl mastering/pressing joint) as they will also be released on CD.  Should I provide the vinyl mastering engineer with the dithered 16 bit/44.1 kHz CD master, or should I have the CD mastering engineer also give me an un-dithered 24 bit/44.1 kHz master for the vinyl cutting?  While we're on the subject, would it be advantageous to have a separate master made that has been EQ'd and compressed specifically for vinyl?

Thanks for any insight,
Chris
Chris Adler
Mindtree Studios

TotalSonic

Re: Vinyl Pre-Master Format
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 07:57:37 PM »

Every vinyl mastering room is a little different in their requirements - but the better ones can usually accept 24bit data files without a problem.  I found there was nearly always at least a small benefit from doing a direct transfer from the higher resolution files.  

Best thing is to check with the vinyl mastering room that you are going to use for their requirements.  If you do send in a data disc best thing to do is name your files something like A1.wav, A2.wav, B1.wav, etc. - so that it is clear as to what goes where.  As usual - always include a track sheet listing timings and side breaks regardless of whether you are sending an audio or data disc.

I usually processed mixes for vinyl a bit different than I would for CD.  For vinyl you often have to use an LPF and HPF, and there are ways of compensating for this (by doing things like boosting the upper mids to compensate for cuts in the ultrahighs, or boosting at the octave of the kick drums fundamental to compensate for the loss in the sub-lows) so that the release does not lose any impact.  Sometimes additional de-essing or high frequecy limiting was necessary for the vinyl release that wasn't needed for the CD.  I also tended to use less peak limiting as nice round wave forms with more natural dynamics would actually allow higher levels to be transmitted cleanly to the vinyl master than the squashed levels you often see on CD's.

Your very best bet is to contract the vinyl mastering house to do the eq'ing and dynamic processing specifically for your vinyl release.   That way the person who is actually operating the lathe and has the direct experience optimizing releases for vinyl - along with the luxury of making test cuts and hearing how things are sounding - is the one taking care of the processing decisions.  I highly recommend getting them to make you a reference disc (or acetate "dub plate") prior to cutting your laqcuers so that you know what you are getting in terms of levels and eq's prior to incurring the expense of plating and test pressing.  These are very well worth the small additional expense if you truly want to get the best results.  

I've found that while there are CD mastering engineers that are experienced with all formats - the latest crop of ME's are often not familiar with the requirements of vinyl at all - and I received pre-masters from even experienced ME's that still needed a bit of tweaking in order to get the best possible sounding vinyl master.  

Having said all that - if this is an full length / LP release that needs extensive mastering you might just want to let the CD mastering engineer handle the bulk of the work and have them give the vinyl mastering engineer a high res premaster - and if possible budget for a little tweaking from the vinyl mastering engineer.  If the vinyl however is a 12" single where you are going for maximum possible level - I'd have the vinyl mastering engineer handle the whole thing.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Adler

Re: Vinyl Pre-Master Format
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 08:58:32 AM »

Thanks for the input, Steve.

Chris
Chris Adler
Mindtree Studios
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.