R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic selection for screaming rock/punk vocals  (Read 13318 times)

lord

Re: Mic selection for screaming rock/punk vocals
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 02:09:32 PM »

I have good luck with an RE-20 on the screamo too.

The vocalist can get all over it, and it doesn't poop out.

mmazurek

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 04:11:40 PM »

I've used & recommended SM7's in the past.  Usually needed some EQ at mixdown.

I've realized recently that using good quality condensers (personally a Lawson L47/mp works 90% of the time, then an iFet7, etc...) has always worked better.

Distancing the singer with a pop screen and judicious use of compression helps greatly (they seem to love that Distressor).

I started trying this after some general posts (like Mr. Wittman's, Fletcher's, etc...) that have this theme of 'using a good quality large-diaphram condensers through a quality chain', and I realized they're right.

Vertigo

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 07:41:22 PM »

I'd second the 57, with a Stedman pop filter and a bright but smooth pre like an RNP, or maybe an API - I see a lot of engineers using API's on screamo guys lately. I use the RNP and like it fine. Really picks up the rawness and the attack of punk or screamo vocals and sits nicely in the mix.

I did a similar project a couple of weeks ago and did two passes of the vocals. One on the 57 with the pop filter and one with a hand held '58. Combining the tracks together sounded REALLY good. The 57 gave the meat and definition to the tone and the '58 caught the distorted cupped-mic technique that those vocalists like to use. On some songs I nuked the 58 track and brought it in here and there as a backup vocal. It sounded great.

If you want hella raw and lo-fi, the AKG D19C is a hell of a lot of fun...

A lot of the screamo guys like to use the PA as an instrument, which is why they sometimes have trouble translating to the studio. They USE the feedback from the PA, and they cup the mic or otherwise try to overload it for distortion and effect. You could try having them do their thing your recording room through a PA with the hand held 58 and add a room mic (ribbon, LDC, SDC). A dose of PA in the room on those kind of tracks can really capture some of what's missing when those guys get into the studio. And the grainy reverbs on a cheap PA powered mixer can sound cool when you capture them in the room.

-Lance

maxim

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 11:24:04 PM »

oops, dp

maxim

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 11:28:38 PM »

whatever mic sounds best for the voice and the track, but i've found that with the condensers, i have to bring the level way down in the headphone mix, or else i'm too shy to scream away

never a problem with a dynamic, and the rejection pattern allows for the use of monitors, which is even better

just a singer's point of view

btw, i use beyer m69 for this purpose, which is even tighter than most dynamics

Bill Mueller

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 07:29:33 AM »

zetterstroem wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 19:47

anyone tried the neumann handheld?

http://www.neumann.com/infopool/mics/produkte.php?ProdID=kms 105

i know it sounds nice on other vocal types..... and it takes a 150dB's!

I was going to bring this up on it's own thread, but this is as good a time as any.

I have had a KMS 105 for a couple of years and I will never use an 87 or 414 for vocals ever again. I have been a live broadcast engineer for years and we always use vocal mics for vocals. I wondered how an excellent vocal mic would sound in a studio setting. Wow. Put up the mic. Record the vocal. No eq, no noise, no problems.

In an environment where isolation is less than perfect, the 105's hypercardioid pattern discriminates against outside noise. It can be hand held with almost no handling noise. The pop filter is excellent, but not magical. You may still need a pop filter if you are working it too close. However, you can just crank the gain in your singer's headphones and push them back a nudge from the mic. It will still sound great because of the directionality.

In a home studio where the air conditioning can come on, this is a god send.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

ALLEN WRENCH

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 09:19:24 AM »

Here's what I've come up with so far and it sounds pretty good.  This is not my own personal idea and was suggested by a good friend...

SM57 with the Shure pop screen (plus an extra mic stand pop screen) and a U87 on Omni a little more than 3 feet away.  Both mics blended together  / bringing the U87 up just enough to get a little LDC articulation.

Signal chain is:

API 512c  (in a lunchbox... hey I'm not rich!)
2-1176   (slamming it back pretty hard)
Manley Massive Passive  (using High Pass filter only at 120)
... and then finally to my fucking piece of junk MCI JH-16 sold to me by Pro Audio Designs.

BTW if anyone's looking for a piece of gear that's promised to be in ABSOLUTELY PERFECT condition but in reality is a total piece of junk... and you want ZERO customer support... Pro Audio Designs is the company for you!!!  
Mad
You may not be interested in Dr. Wrench,  but Dr. Wrench is interested in you.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 01:12:12 PM »

The great Mr. Rollins seems to be using the SM58 trick due to his expressive persona in the studio, according to an interview with his engineer. They also used a U47 once, Rollins had to cradle it softly with his hands and they had it wrapped up like a new born. Probably not one of his angries songs, I figure.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

vernier

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2005, 01:37:44 PM »

Here's what the world's best punk band used.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/articles/classictracks .htm

originalrecorderman

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2005, 06:07:48 PM »

I like the sm57 for this.  And Garth used a beta58 for the first Rage Record.

bblackwood

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2005, 06:12:09 PM »

Welcome, Eric! Nice to see you here!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Tim Gilles

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2005, 07:18:47 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 18:12

Welcome, Eric! Nice to see you here!

Hell Yes!!!

A pleasure and privilege.

See ya around campus!

Timbo

originalrecorderman

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2005, 09:10:18 PM »

why thank you.  Cool

ALLEN WRENCH

dunk on Pabst Blue Ribbon and beating up my groupies...
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2005, 10:17:23 PM »

I used a beta87 on the first two KAW records and have got some tracks that could have ‘kind of’ gotten by, but now with my 2 inch, misc. pre’s and a few mics to select from… the beta87 didn’t pass the shoot out.  Keeping in mind this is for the one particular voice I’m dealing with.

The 57 and U87 – omni combo was a big surprise though.   Nothing like dumping a bunch of cash on a ‘vocal’ mic to find out that the one you bought for $ 85 sounds better!
You may not be interested in Dr. Wrench,  but Dr. Wrench is interested in you.

Greg Norman

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2005, 02:03:42 AM »

If the guy isn't going to be right on top of the mic, I love using an RCA BK-5.  Its responce with some compression allows the vocal to cut through a thick mix.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.