R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mics like oktava's 219  (Read 1902 times)

bert

mics like oktava's 219
« on: July 31, 2005, 06:30:54 AM »

i'm looking for reasonably priced condenser mics for loud rock guitars, snare, oh and vocals. i've got experience with oktava 219, 319 & 012, but i'd like to have a bit more body/low end/warmth and enough detail.. i'm not sure about how to describe this, but i'm looking at mxl 990, mxl 67, rode's, studio projects, any suggestions about these mics or other mics i should consider in this price range?

Chris Cavell

Re: mics like oktava's 219
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 03:43:28 PM »

The mics you mention having some experience with are generally considered some of the darkest/warmest budget mics on the market today.  The only thing I can think of that you might also want to try is something like an APEX 460 perhaps.  Other than that, you may want to look into preamp alternatives to get the sound you desire...perhaps a sebatron or UA tube pre.

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 07:51:56 PM »

I'd suggest one of those budget ribbon mics, such as the Nady.  You're sure not going to find anything in a darker condensor.
http://www.scotthelmke.com/team-downbeat-1.jpg

bert

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 04:33:10 AM »

i used them on a tascam fw1884 daw console and a rme octamic connected to it. i used no external mic preamps, could these internal mic preamps really cause a rather thin sound?

wireline

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 06:37:16 AM »

Before looking into lower cost condensors, I would recommend 'calibrating' your system with a known commodity, such as an SM57/58...If your sound absolutely sucks with one of these, you know any problems are not mic related but elsewhere....and, if I may: never heard/used the Tascam device, but the RME Octomic really sounds better than it should for the price involved.

"Dark" sounds can often be gleaned from bright sounds by moving a mic head away from the center of the speaker cone, for one....or adding a bit of low pass filtering at the source.

FWIW (never much): I tend to start with dynamics on many sources such as elec gtrs, kick/snares, etc, and adjust from there....
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio, Midland, TX
Authorized Sales Agent, WWW.Soundpure.Com

bert

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 11:05:32 AM »

wireline wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 12:37

Before looking into lower cost condensors, I would recommend 'calibrating' your system with a known commodity, such as an SM57/58...If your sound absolutely sucks with one of these, you know any problems are not mic related but elsewhere....and, if I may: never heard/used the Tascam device, but the RME Octomic really sounds better than it should for the price involved.

"Dark" sounds can often be gleaned from bright sounds by moving a mic head away from the center of the speaker cone, for one....or adding a bit of low pass filtering at the source.

FWIW (never much): I tend to start with dynamics on many sources such as elec gtrs, kick/snares, etc, and adjust from there....

the sound doesn't really suck at all actually. it's not bad at all, but a little bit too thin, maybe i kind of exaggerated by saying the sound sucked. i was just wondering if external preamps could give me more body to my recordings..?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 17 queries.