R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: e604's - a confession  (Read 1698 times)

Vertigo

e604's - a confession
« on: July 29, 2005, 08:25:42 AM »

I've been using the e604's as my primary tom mic's for a while now, mainly because I haven't had the budget to upgrade them yet. I've always thought they were crap and have found them to be mediocre at best. The resulting tracks have always required tons of EQ and compression just to get them to sound decent.

So I did a project recently and tried aiming the 604's at the center of the head (before I was pretty much aiming them down towards the rim). And what do you know - the sound is ten times better! Not perfect, and they still need a good bit of EQ to sound "right", but damn... The resulting tracks sound GREAT.

So I have to confess - it wasn't the 604's that sucked, it was ME!!

Rolling Eyes

-Lance

Beezoboy

Re: e604's - a confession
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 11:11:07 AM »

yeah. . . hypercardoid mics make placement that much more important.

An inch makes a huge difference sometimes. Its something we all have to learn. I am still learning that too. When people talk about guys who can make amzing recordings with only 57's, I am starting to believe it. You just have to work on placement harder when using seemingly inferior mics.

Beez

stuntbutt

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 01:47:22 PM »

I noticed the exact same thing after using 604's  for, let's see, YEARS!  I guess I was using them the same way as the 57's  that they replaced.
-------------------------------------------
John Katsafanas

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 09:10:23 PM »

Beezoboy wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 10:11

yeah. . . hypercardoid mics make placement that much more important.

An inch makes a huge difference sometimes. Its something we all have to learn. I am still learning that too. When people talk about guys who can make amzing recordings with only 57's, I am starting to believe it. You just have to work on placement harder when using seemingly inferior mics.

Beez

Memorize this one statement - it's the only rule you need to remember in a recording studio:

"Mic placement is often more important than mic selection."
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 16 queries.