R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure KSM 109 as Overheads?  (Read 2670 times)

Guthrie Saunders

Shure KSM 109 as Overheads?
« on: July 14, 2005, 12:04:35 AM »

Anybody used these as overheads or have thoughts on this model or other models in a similiar price range.  I am trying to decide on a moderately priced overhead.  Similiar to a  previous question but I thought it was worth reprising the subject, who doesn't like to talk about overhead mics anyway? Cheers...

Chad Sims

Re: Shure KSM 109 as Overheads?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 10:14:06 AM »

I do own these mics and do use them as overheads but as soon as I have some extra money I plan on getting something else.  These mics are not bad on accoustic guitar, bass amp, vocals, as a matter of fact I keep finding things I like them on but not overheads.  

These mics are just too bright and overemphasis the cymbals.  Using them as "underheads" I have gotten better results.  I don't usually have enough mics or inputs with my home setup to close mic the toms which may improve the situation.  

The best way I can describe this mic is an SM57+ sounds almost the same as a 57 with a little more high and low.

If you do find a mic in this price range that works out really good let me know as I am also looking.

Guthrie Saunders

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 07:34:42 PM »

Thanks for the reply I will let you know if I get any good results.  I am starting to think about Audio Technica 20/20's but haven't heard them at all.

micguy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 01:52:20 PM »

I have a pair I use all the time as overheads - 'cause I like 'em a lot in that application. And compared with some of the competition (414's, for example), they're certainly not too bright - if anything they're more controlled.

I use them as "kit overheads" - not just over the cymbals, but intended to picky up snare and toms to some extent as well.  In this usage, the cymbals are a little off axis. The pattern is consistent enough that they work fine, though.

Guthrie Saunders

Re: other mics
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 12:01:19 AM »

How about Rode NT5's anyone tried those?

Chad Sims

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 04:34:48 PM »

Ok, maybe I should have said harsh instead of bright in my earlier reply.  

A producer came into the studio that at times I work out of and had the stereo NT4 which sounded great and I believe has the same capsules as the NT5's.  The plus for the NT4 is you don't have to worry about phase.  The minus is you can't do spaced pair and the like.  I heard this mic soon after I got my KSM 109's and was very disappointed because I had had the chance to get the NT5's or the NT4 but chose the 109's unheard.
You live you learn.

Guthrie Saunders

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »

Thanks so much for the reply Chad, I also will not be able to hear the mics until I get them so it's kind of a gamble.  Your comments were really helpful.  The capsule in the NT5 is indeed the same as the NT4.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.