R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 channel micpre with ADAT output  (Read 4412 times)

Chad Sims

8 channel micpre with ADAT output
« on: July 27, 2005, 04:26:56 PM »

I have decide that it is time to have more inputs into my computer.  I have had only 8 inputs for some time and feel that I have reached the point where I can effectively use more in my home studio setting.  I don't have the money for expensive AD's and outboard pre's so I decided to look into these 8 channel mic pre's with ADAT outputs.

On the higher end there is

Presonus Digimax
Focusrite Octopre
Mackie Onyx Pre's
M-Audio Octane

On the lower end there is

SM Pro
Nady

I realize that none of these preamps are gonna be the best thing I have ever heard but I plan on using them when I have exhausted my 4 channels of RNP and 4 channels of Sytek.  How do the above listed preamps sound compared to the RNP's and Syteks?  Are there any problems known about any of these pre's?  There are lite versions of the Presonus and Octopre that don't have the compressors, are the compressors at all useful(worth the extra money).  Keep in mind that I don't really plan on using these pre's for much more than tom mics and other such luxuries that I have been doing without for years now.  Thank you in advance for any replies.

weihfool

Re: 8 channel micpre with ADAT output
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 05:11:46 PM »

Hey Chad,
   I can tell you from personal experience that the Octopre is nothing to write home about. If not for the convenience of it, I'd say you'd do as well to use any cheapy mixer with 8 pre's in it.  Can't comment on the others but the Focusrite is boring and awfully thin sounding.  Of course, YMMV.  Best of luck in your search.

LDBF

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 03:44:27 PM »

There's also the RME OctopreD at this kinda price range.  Would be worth considering if you were thinking of spending money on any other these others listed.
Nick R

LDBF Sound Services

Gone

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 08:16:13 PM »

Have you looked at the Audient? I had a chance to use one for a week, and would use it ANY day over the Octopre, etc.
It has a digital option which adds ADAT outs...

Chad Sims

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 09:17:06 AM »

Where can I find the Audient in the USA? The only site I found was in Europe.

Vertigo

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 09:25:29 AM »

I wouldn't touch the Focusrite or the M-Audio, but the Mackie Onyx pre's are surprisingly good.

-Lance

laptoppop

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 10:37:48 PM »

I'd vote for the Onyx 800r as well.  The preamps are transparent, as opposed to having any particular "color", but they are clean and quiet and give lots of gain.  The 800r also includes the ability to vary the impedance on a channel or two (can't remember offhand) which can be useful to find what works well for a particular microphone.  It also includes M-S stereo decoding.  The converters are quite solid as well - an important consideration.

-lee-

RolandK

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 07:00:36 PM »

I have an RNP, Digimax LT and recorded in a studio with the Octopre. The Digi LT is a little thinner and less detailed than the RNP but should be fine for what you want (toms, etc.). I like the LT because it has no limiters, does have an insert on each channel so you can use it as a pre w/ digital out, pre w/ analog out, or bypass the pre and use as an a/d converter, and is cheaper.
I haven't done a direct comparison between the Octopre and my units but when my band was tracking it was used as 3rd string pre (Behind 4 API's and 2 Hamptone tube pre's) and it sounded fine. Most shootouts I've read between the Digimax and Octopre say they are pretty close in all areas.
my band: Mission 5

Gone

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 09:47:30 PM »

Chad Sims wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 08:17

Where can I find the Audient in the USA? The only site I found was in Europe.

Ads in Mix every month. www.axidistribution.com (Rockland, MA)

John Ivan

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 10:33:38 PM »

Vertigo wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 08:25

I wouldn't touch the Focusrite or the M-Audio, but the Mackie Onyx pre's are surprisingly good.

-Lance

I've been hearing this a lot from people. I'm glad too.. I might be looking for more Inputs straight into Cubase. As My home rig gets set up,I keep rethinking how I'm going to do all this,,this time around.

I want a nice composing rig for when I'm working in the box,I don't have to fire the console or DA-88's up. I'm looking at ways to have all this shit running separate AND together for big big mixes.

It's not that it's difficult to get done,it's just that there a number of ways to do it.

Writing tonight from Newark CA.

Ivan........................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

earworm²

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 07:05:29 AM »

to add a little question:
what about a unit with just  8 JACK inputs instead of preamps,
what would you look for then?
i assume Alesis Adats like that blackface might work?
but i'm looking for a unit without the "adat tape recorder",
just Ad conversion with lightpipe output

i saw a behringer unit with 8 preamps i think, and adat out,
but i'm not into berrie stuff so what other options are there?

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 02:22:20 PM »

In my mind the Behringer ADA8000 is probably the best thing ever having that brand name on the front. At that price level you can probably get it just for one off occasion.

Gunnar
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

John V.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 12:23:55 PM »

I owned a Digimax for about a week, and was totally unhappy with it.  Even just using it on toms was unacceptable.  I traded it in for the Focusrte Octopre, and while it's not a world class piece, it's head and shoulders above the Digimax.
-John Vice
Summertime Studios

Fig

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 02:37:14 PM »

earworm
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Jeff4h

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 12:40:42 PM »

Ive been pleased with my behringer   Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up