R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: for effect or to fix?  (Read 5841 times)

lord

Re: for effect or to fix?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2005, 08:33:06 PM »

wwittman wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 18:07

okay, what does it mean to you?

Just add the rule of thumb that bands that wish they were on a major don't count...

and you're getting warmer.

Benmrx

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 02:03:42 AM »

well, I see this topic has gone off on a tangent.....however one I enjoy discussing, so I'll keep going, and I hope others keep up as well.

As far as my lifetime goes, first it was punk rock, then alternative, then indie.

I don't think the indie rock thing has gotten as big...or will ever get as big as the slickly packaged punk rock and alternative bands got.  At least on a top 40 level.......but then again, I can't even think of the last time I actually checked to see what the top 40 was.  So I could be wrong.

But bands that I would consider "indie rock", that are on major labels and are selling out huge arena type shows are The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, Built to Spill, and many others I'm forgetting at the moment.

One thing all these bands have in common......they hold on to their artistic freedoms when signing major label record deals, shooting videos, making records, their "image", etc.

I'm from Seattle, so what I see most is that Modest Mouse and Built to spill have been huge in my book for over a decade now.  They've been selling out massive shows this whole time, making great records, touring the states and over seas, and constantly giving me something refreshing to listen to.  But my guess (and I'm friends with a few of these people), is that they have kids now, families, they want to buy a house, etc.

They could have made the move to MTV along time ago.  But had no need, what would be the benefit.  I mean, great, sign a big record deal, get a butt-load of cash, and some greasy dinasour telling you that you have to have a ballad on your record.

It's really no different then punk, as far as the politics go.  It's just called indie rock now.  And instead of loud in your face angsty music, it's a little more mellow, usually involves more then the typical guitar, bass, drums, vocals.

If you listened to the lyrics in alot of modest mouse songs, you'll find the same basic message you heard in a circle jerks song.  I think it's a little more cleverly stated these days though.

There's a big, BIG difference between Sum41 or Good Charlette (ala mainstream punk rock) and Modest Mouse or The Flaming Lips (ala mainstream indie rock).  

j.hall

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 09:18:47 AM »

i'm really tired of discussing this to be honest.

not slighting you in the least william, but i've just grown tired of the rather ambiguous discussion of what "indie rock" is and how it differs from an "independent band".

go buy the book "our band could be your life" and learn what indie rock is from it's earliest pioneers first hand for yourself.

our band could be your life

i've always liked "rattleyour's" description of it.

you can't define it, but you know it when you hear it.

rankus

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2005, 12:49:32 PM »

"Alternative? .... Alternative to what!?... Good?" -

-  Bruce Allan (Bryan Adams manager)
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2005, 02:34:02 PM »

rankus wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 11:49

"Alternative? .... Alternative to what!?... Good?" -

-  Bruce Allan (Bryan Adams manager)

i guess that assumes that bryan adams is good..........if that's the case, i'll be "alternative" to that happily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benmrx

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »

me 2

wwittman

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2005, 06:53:57 PM »

no slight taken, and none intended to you either...

but some people's self-appointed proclamations as to who is and is NOT "indie" are as pretentious and pointless as Bruce Allen's stupid comment.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

j.hall

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2005, 08:01:26 AM »

wwittman wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 17:53

but some people's self-appointed proclamations as to who is and is NOT "indie" are as pretentious and pointless as Bruce Allen's stupid comment.

we will both agree with that statement.

indie rock, and more so in emo, can be so pretentious that it destroys itself.

most of those bands are easily spot-able, and typically implode rather quickly......the strokes come to mind.

seriously though......grab a copy of that book, i'm sure you'll enjoy it, and you'll probably remember most of the bands that are in there.

rankus

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2005, 01:05:33 PM »

wwittman wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 15:53

LOL.  Bruce Allan always reminds me of the Christofer Walkin character in the SNL "More Cowbell" skit.....  Way over the top... But he's keeps us all entertained up here in Vancouver.. We can honestly say we have our very own world class jerk  Twisted Evil

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

John Ivan

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2005, 04:19:56 PM »

I just thought I would ad that for me, It's all Rock music. Zep, Beatles,Igy, Stones, Clash, and all this newer Guitar driven music is rock and roll. I never understood the terms Alternative or Indy as they were applied to rock music. This doesn't mean I don't like some of it. I do in fact think some stuff people call alternative or indy is great stuff but,I never understood it to be anything other than someone Else's take on rock music. It becomes pop music if Lot's of folks like it.

As I have mentioned before,I think this labeling down of music is unnecessary. This stuff they call smooth jazz has nothing what so ever to do with jazz. So as far as I can tell,labelling these music forms is now and has always been a way to market a batch of music to people,,so they know where to find it.

Just my 2 cents.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

j.hall

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2005, 04:25:47 PM »

sure it's all rock music....i'll never debate that.

honestly though, until you (universal you) reads the book i posted a link to, you just won't understand why indie rock is more then just a musical label placed on a certain sound and type of band.

go buy the book and read it, it really is a great book, and i'll bet you've at least heard of half of the bands in it.

John Ivan

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2005, 05:03:41 PM »

j.hall wrote on Sat, 06 August 2005 15:25

sure it's all rock music....i'll never debate that.

honestly though, until you (universal you) reads the book i posted a link to, you just won't understand why indie rock is more then just a musical label placed on a certain sound and type of band.

go buy the book and read it, it really is a great book, and i'll bet you've at least heard of half of the bands in it.

I'll check it out. I've heard it to be a great read regardless of who one might be musically.

Ivan......................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 19 queries.