R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonics crashing with JAM  (Read 1609 times)

Ben F

Sonics crashing with JAM
« on: July 26, 2005, 12:27:22 AM »

I seam to be experiencing a problem lately with our Sonic Solutions HD systems version 1.9.1 (OS9.2.2). Towards the end of writing a JAM image at 2x speed, the audio will drop out and Sonics crashes. Really frustrating.

When Sonics is launched again the digital clock is at a strange rate such as 22.5 or 31Khz, even though our master is set at 44.1Khz, so it has to be set to internal clock to operate.

So far my preventative measures include:

1. Using a 110V power transformer, instead of the 230V (as Australia is 240V)
2. Regularly emptying/de-fragmenting the HD
3. Disabling Appletalk
4. Trashing the preferences

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

jfrigo

Re: Sonics crashing with JAM
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 08:37:13 AM »

Ben F wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 21:27

I seam to be experiencing a problem lately with our Sonic Solutions HD systems version 1.9.1 (OS9.2.2). Towards the end of writing a JAM image at 2x speed, the audio will drop out and Sonics crashes. Really frustrating.

When Sonics is launched again the digital clock is at a strange rate such as 22.5 or 31Khz, even though our master is set at 44.1Khz, so it has to be set to internal clock to operate.

So far my preventative measures include:

1. Using a 110V power transformer, instead of the 230V (as Australia is 240V)
2. Regularly emptying/de-fragmenting the HD
3. Disabling Appletalk
4. Trashing the preferences

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Odd. I do this all the time without incident. You must have tried the other obvious things: don't have other apps running at the same time, be on internal clock (though it normally works external as well), make sure you don't have an extentions conflict, run something like Norton to make sure you don't have catalog errors etc... maybe you should go radical and reinstall the whole sonic app from scratch instead of just trashing prefs. Sorry I don't anything better to offfer. Good luck.

Bodyslam

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 12:14:23 AM »

One more ingredient in the Voodoo stew: I always restart the computer right before I do a dump to JAM file. (Some other people practice this ritual too. I remember a post from Charlie Pilzer to the same effect on the Sonic list.) By this time in the session I could use a little break, and apparently so could the computer. It just about never messes up if the dump is done right after a restart. No guarantee that your system will work the same as ours, but it's very inexpensive to try.
Paul Stubblebine

<a href="http://www.paulstubblebine.com" target="_blank">http://www.paulstubblebine.com</a>

Ben F

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 12:41:56 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

It only happens every couple of weeks or so, for no apparent reason. I think it could be a temperature related problem...

jfrigo

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 10:08:53 AM »

Ben F wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 21:41

Thanks for the replies.

It only happens every couple of weeks or so, for no apparent reason. I think it could be a temperature related problem...

The HD I/O designed before Sonic's management shift is heat sensitive; as it ages, it starts to have a little trouble holding clock. Maybe this is the problem. For not too much money Sonic will send you a kit with a power regulator and a couple little internal fans that you can retrofit you I/O with. They include detailed instructions and it usually fixes the problem if it isn't too far gone. Worked for mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 16 queries.