R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-audio Nostalgia (FAO DC)  (Read 1625 times)

JGreenslade

Non-audio Nostalgia (FAO DC)
« on: July 24, 2005, 07:37:59 AM »

The Moss / cake incident:

At Spa 1960, the wheel sheered off Moss's privateer Lotus at 160mph, breaking Moss's back in the ensuing accident... Moss got back in the seat several weeks later (copied from another forum):

Quote:

I loved the description - in, I think, Robert Edwards' book - of the function after the 1960 USGP which Stirling won in Walker's Lotus 18, during which he was presented with a cake in the shape of a Lotus 18.

1960 was, of course, the year in which a Lotus 18 had tried to kill Moss at Spa when a rear hub collapsed.

Immediately upon receiving the cake, he cut off a rear wheel and presented it to Chapman.    

Perhaps this in part goes to why he never drove for Team Lotus.

Laughing

Some more quotes on Chapman:
Quote:

"... he would guide a junior through the needs and constraints of the current problem until his pupil reached the key to it." Then he'd say "you see, it designs itself!" and walk away.

Hugh Haskell, former Lotus engineer

Quote:

"If Colin had a failing it was that he always looked for the next thing no-one had rather than develop what he had."

Peter Warr former Lotus team manager

Quote:

Chapman - "I want pounds off that car".
Worker - "Is that pounds weight or pounds sterling?"
Chapman - "Both".

A couple of more quotes:
Quote:

"You know you're in trouble when the first person to get to you after a wreck is carrying a beer" - NASCAR driver, Jimmy Horton, speaking of his accident at Talladega in 1993.

Quote:

"Now I've beaten these hillbillies, I'm gonna take on those European fags." - allegedly spoken by A.J. Foyt

I should add that Foyt reportedly threatened the magazine who printed that one with litigation...

Quote:

Bill France and Junior Johnson on the topic of Johnson running a full slate of NASCAR races:

France: So your committed to our series next year?

Johnson: No, I'm involved.

France: I need you to commit to the series.

Johnson: I'll be involved. You see Bill, when you sit down to a breakfast of bacon and eggs the chicken is involved. The pig is committed. I'll be involved next year.

Do we get a Yunick story then DC?

Regards,
Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 17 queries.