R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best DVD's to use for DVD-A's  (Read 1095 times)

Bob Track

Best DVD's to use for DVD-A's
« on: July 21, 2005, 12:00:33 PM »

I'm starting to do some DVD-A projects, is there any favorite DVD to use, I know that Mitsui is coming out with a Gold DVD very soon, does any body have recommendations
Thanks

Ronny

Re: Best DVD's to use for DVD-A's
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 03:23:39 PM »

Bob Track wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 12:00

I'm starting to do some DVD-A projects, is there any favorite DVD to use, I know that Mitsui is coming out with a Gold DVD very soon, does any body have recommendations
Thanks

I've heard some folks touting the gold cd's and dvd's as being better, but the truth of the matter is that silver gives better reflectivity and lower errors on a variety of players. Gold is reported to have a longer archive life, but I have also read on some of the cd sites like McFadden's, that the thickness of the gold is too thin on some gold cd-r's, which further lowers reflectivity and adds to the error count. Humans do have a fascination with gold, no matter what it's being used for, but there are physical limitations to it that don't jive with all of the "superior application" claims made by some audio gear and media manufacturers.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

genericperson

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 07:26:23 PM »

if it's anything like CD-r's, i know a little bit of folk wisdom.  besides "absolute" recommendations like Taiyo Yuden, there are also some relative considerations.  burners have different intensities, and cd-r's different layer thicknesses and compositions. so if you get a cd-r brand that is happy with the kind of burn your burner is doing, then you have a good match.

sometimes people will have a cd-burner.  they get a brand of cd-r's that are a poor match for their burner, and then they say "these cd-roms SUCK!".  and the brands they are talking about are completely decent ones.  in situations like that it was probably an unfortunate bad match.

if you trolled around the internet long enough, you would find every brand of Cd-r has been given the distinction of "Sucks!" by someone somewhere.  we'd never get any work done if we took all these isolated trash-talks as meaning we can never use that brand of cd-r.

probably similar with dvd-r's if i had to guess

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 08:46:25 PM »

I've been totally happy with Memorex DVD-R discs for about 2 years... that includes 4x, 8x, and DL, with Pioneer and Plextor burners. Several hundred burns, very few coasters, if any.

But I consider their CD-Rs as "crap" ... would never use them.  Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 16 queries.