R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRHHHHHH!  (Read 4356 times)

jazzius

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRHHHHHH!
« on: July 21, 2005, 06:20:18 AM »

What is it with hip hoppers and time keeping?.......it seems like they inhabit a seperate parallel universe where completely different laws of time apply...how do these guys get thru life?..

..just had to vent....thanks for listening!

Thomas W. Bethel

Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRHHHHHH!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 06:50:46 AM »

jazzius wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 06:20

What is it with hip hoppers and time keeping?.......it seems like they inhabit a seperate parallel universe where completely different laws of time apply...how do these guys get thru life?..

..just had to vent....thanks for listening!

I have had rappers and hip hoppers come in as much as 7 hours late to a session. I have pretty much broken them of the habit since I tell them up front that the session starts at the time they book so if they are 7 hours late they get billed for my time for 7 hours BEFORE we start the real mastering setup. One group got really upset and refused to pay for the time they were not in attendance. I explained to them that I was ready for them to start when they said they wanted to start and I gave them my undivided attention during the time I was waiting for them since I really did not know when they would arrive. They finally paid for the time with a lot of general griping but they were at the next session 5 minutes early so maybe they learned their lesson.

At the end of the session when I gave them the bill the lead rapper looked at the bill and said "hey man if I pay for this session I won't have any money for my blo"  but he paid anyway since he needed the master for replication and I refused to give it to him without the full amount paid (in cash).

I feel your pain but you have to basically lay down the rules before they arrive if you don't you will be working with their timetable not yours.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Ronny

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 09:31:46 AM »

I had quite a suprise mastering a hip hop cd earlier this week. Not one F, S or N word on the whole cd, no killing cops or hating whitey lyrics, I about had a heart attack. I don't do a lot of hip-hop, no more than 10 cd's a year, but this was the first one that I've ever done that was clean enough to play for young kids. Seems like one prime ingredient besides the bass and machined kick drum being twice as loud as everything else, is the x-rated lyrics. I almost enjoyed working on hip-hop for the first time. The one that I did last month had the F word in just about every sentence, which is par for the course with most of them.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Trillium Sound

• Real Full Name: Richard Addison
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 09:46:51 AM »

Ronny wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 09:31

Not one F, S or N word on the whole cd, no killing cops or hating whitey lyrics

Well, I could not say the same. 2 weeks ago, I got one CD to do and there were a minimum of 50 F, S or N word in each song Shocked . Some songs maybe more.

I am getting 1 out of 20 interesting Hip-Hop projects. All the rest is that stuff with the one or same two chords songs, verses, chorus and bridges if any. Confused
Trillium Sound Studio
http://www.trilliumsound.com
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Tel.:438-390-2236

Ed Littman

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 09:48:32 AM »

jazzius wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 06:20

What is it with hip hoppers and time keeping?.......!

What you don't mean with a metranome? Laughing
Ed

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 10:53:05 AM »

Ronny wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 08:31

I don't do a lot of hip-hop, no more than 10 cd's a year... I almost enjoyed working on hip-hop for the first time.

We don't do much Rap/Hip-Hop either, it's just not our thing, so we refer to others.

I think we did only one this year, and it was a religious group.

I assume there are ME's that really do dig it, and specialize in it.

Peace  Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

jlapointe

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 11:08:36 AM »

JayTea wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 11:53

I master a metric tonne of hiphop stuff, but a lot of what I get in would fall under the category of "experimental" hiphop.  Most of this stuff is very intelligent, politically aware, and well produced.  

Labels like Anticon, Endemik Music, and Ninja Tune are releasing some of the most compelling music out there right now.

TotalSonic

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 11:29:02 AM »

JayTea wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 15:53

Peace  Cool

Yup - I love hip-hop.  Being in NYC the majority of the stuff I do is hip-hop - both doing the vinyl remixes, reissues & compilations for the "name" artists - and also CD's and vinyl for the huge independent underground hip-hop scene here.  Like any genre it has its good and bad - for some reason though I can enjoy working on mediocre hip-hop more than I enjoy working on mediocre rock.  I guess for me there's a a few very direct sonic goals when working in it - i.e. just how massive can we make this kick drum? - with just the minimal elements of vox, kick, snare, and then the "rest" - so you can really go in there and shape the elements to go for "maximum impact."  Dealing with a lot of stuff recorded in project studios you also get to have the mastering make a real big noticeable improvement which I find rewarding also.  

To me gangsta rap is kind of like watching a horror movie.  You either enjoy this kind of stuff or you don't - a lot of time it's real cheesy but sometimes if the flow is happening it can give you the same kind of adrenaline rush as a George Romero flick.  Personally I much prefer listening to politically conscious lyrics like the PE or Disposible Heroes stuff from back in the day - but I'd still rather hear the gangsta stuff than fatuous lyrics about how much bling someone has.  There are a number of people writing great stuff still though - check out Nas or Kanye West's "Jesus Walks" to hear some actual seriously intelligent lyrics.  But while mastering this stuff I just am completely focused on sonic issues - so even if the lyrics are meaningless strings of curse words I can still enjoy working on it.

As far as lateness to sessions:
for me I usually give people a "grace period" of around a half an hour as the traffic & the MTA in NY can definitely put a hamper in people's plans occasionally.  If I have unattended work pending and the client hasn't arrived within an hour I'll just start on that and make the client wait a few minutes while I finish the thought if they come in so that my time hasn't been wasted.   Beyond that - I make it clear from the time the session is booked that the clock starts at the time they've asked for and if they are late (while at our discretion we generally give a bit of a break to the client) will bill accordingly.  Getting a deposit in order to hold a time is also extremely important so that there are no problems with sessions where the client does not show up for or does not give adequate notice of a cancellation.

About 90% of the work I do is unattended sessions though so the issue doesn't come up all that often.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

OTR-jkl

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 01:05:25 PM »

I did a hip-hop CD last fall and could barely stand to make it through the thing. The lyrics were just horrendous. I tried to ignore them and focus only on the overall sound but that was impossible to do.

It was an unattended session and I made sure that what I did was right on so I'd never have to hear it again. After picking up the ref, the client called an raved about it - what a relief!!!

No more - unless its clean...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

zmix

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 02:20:32 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 11:29

About 90% of the work I do is unattended sessions...

Best regards,
Steve Berson

That's a healthy way to look at the situation....

Ronny

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 03:39:49 PM »

JayTea wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 10:53

Ronny wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 08:31

I don't do a lot of hip-hop, no more than 10 cd's a year... I almost enjoyed working on hip-hop for the first time.

We don't do much Rap/Hip-Hop either, it's just not our thing, so we refer to others.

I think we did only one this year, and it was a religious group.

Peace  Cool

Just like the forensics, I can't afford to turn the work down, JT. If I was in Austin or NY, maybe I could pick and choose.

I'd much rather work on rock or country, Steve, the hip-hop beats get monotonous real fast to me. I don't understand half the lyrics and the mixing is seldom stellar with the wannabe Tupacs that I get. But, I'm an old fart and I remember my father who was into swing and jazz, telling me the same thing about rock and roll, when it first became popular.   Laughing
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------